Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

[Good Job] Platform doors at all Singapore MRT stations

Platform doors at stations - 3 MRT stations to get doors by year-end
    THE first sets of platform screen doors designed to keep people off the train tracks went up on Wednesday at Pasir Ris MRT station.

Jurong East and Yishun stations will be next and all three stations will have doors fitted by the end of the year. The remaining 33 above-ground MRT stations will get them from January next year.

The first sets of half-height platform screen doors went up at Pasir Ris MRT station on Wednesday. Testing of the doors starts next month. -- ST PHOTO: MUGILAN RAJASEGERAN

THE first sets of platform screen doors designed to keep people off the train tracks went up on Wednesday at Pasir Ris MRT station.

Jurong East and Yishun stations will be next and all three stations will have doors fitted by the end of the year. The remaining 33 above-ground MRT stations will get them from January next year.

The doors, which open only when a train pulls into the station, will prevent commuters from falling onto the tracks - intentionally or otherwise.

Such incidents have gone up over the years, from an average of 16 cases a year in 2004 and 2005 to 31 in 2007.

Last year, there were 23 cases of commuters straying onto the tracks. Six of these were due to accidental loss of balance. This year alone, two commuters have died after falling off station platforms and being hit by approaching trains.

Such incidents have prompted repeated calls for platform screen doors by Members of Parliament and commuters. But it was only early last year that the Government gave the go-ahead for the doors to be installed, saying that the cost of such doors had come down.

The Land Transport Authority (LTA) is spending $126 million on the project and aims to complete work on the remaining 33 stations by 2012.

It will take four to six months to prepare each MRT station and to install the doors. 'We can carry out work only when the trains are not running at night. This leaves us with just 21/2 hours each night to do the work,' said Mr Chua Chong Kheng, LTA's group director of rail (Thomson and existing lines).

Currently, the doors already installed at Pasir Ris station remain open as trains are still running. Signs have been put up to inform commuters about the works, and commuters will be reminded by station staff to stand behind the yellow line.

Testing of the doors at Pasir Ris station will take place next month, after the full 48 sets of doors go up on the platform.

Source: Platform doors at stations

I hope they would all be clear glass so it wont spoil the view from the station but yeah, good thing for this. Finally people cant jump on the tracks anymore lol

its not quite high enough to deter the committed suicidees, but good effort on SMRT's part imo
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. — Bertrand Russell

A complete waste of money and an example of thorough overpampering. The only way you could make this work is to completely seal off the tracks. What's next? Trampolines around every building? People who want to kill theselves will do so anyway. Why not use the money and build bicycle lanes?
    Main rig: 27 inch iMac

Console: PS3, Wii, PSP, NDS

Audio: iPad -> Ultimate Ears TF10

WTB: cheap Jamma boards

It not a waste when we will have aging population soon since there are too many birthrate to those who born in the 80's. Money cannot replace the lost of the lives and operation disrupted, I find SMRT approach to implement a safer system is a commendable.

i wonder,after installing the doors,will people still stand behind the yellow line?

i wonder, after installing the door, will the fare prices go up??

lol the poor train driver got to align it zhun zhun when he brakes towards the station

o rly?

next up...

Man climbs over barrier and knock down by train.

nOoB
    Very similar to Taiwan. Even the Station map above the door to indicate where the train is, as well as the the light above each door to show which side will be opening.

Next up will be queue lines for each door.
    | E8400 | Tower 120 | Ballistix | EX38-DS4| 9600GT | 7200.10 | 10EACS | 10EACS | Vortex HE| Caseless |

Pool is a dangerous game. Sticks and balls should not bang each other.

Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by lennardseah View Post
    lol the poor train driver got to align it zhun zhun when he brakes towards the station
    haha...yeah i agree with this one

Quote Originally Posted by kiddocoo View Post
    i wonder, after installing the door, will the fare prices go up??
    or else how they offset the cost!
    Selling instax mini films at my http://insta-joy.blogspot.com/

Scan the QR code now for easy access!

this is good, not a waste of money. HK & elsewhere have already been using them for years already

not all subway casualties are suicide. this could prevent needless loss of lives due to accidents.

besides, once someone try to climb over the screen, commuters can quickly hit the emergency break button or grab him...the most he only lost his head

sg 1 like big & bulky compared to hk 1... hk 1 sleek and nice...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast