Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    rongjie is right on this one

Hwa chong Insitution and Hwa Chong International School are 2 separate entity.

Hwa Chong International is to cater to local and international students who has $$$ and think they are smart enough and wants the "Hwa Chong" brand education (some sort of uni fast track program if I am not wrong). It is different from Hwa Chong Institution.

HCIS already exist long before Chinese High and HCJC merge to become HCI. I remember my principal announcing the formation of HCIS while I was still in TCHS so many years ago

both HCI and HCIS are under the "Hwa Chong" school brand. "Hwa Chong" operates schools overseas as well.

Its abit like Cold storage, 7-11. Both completely different but same boss.
    Last edited by TheWicked; Mar 25th, 10 at 01:45 AM.

They jealous of your headphone only.

naughty boys

I'm surprised HCI would dilute their brand by building an International School.

Internationally schools are for really dumb kids from really rich families Sorry if any of you guys are from such schools but every single person I know from international schools are plain dumb brats.

but very profitable.. obviously they were after the money. Shame on Hwa Chong

Quote Originally Posted by concept|infinit View Post

Internationally schools are for really dumb kids from really rich families Sorry if any of you guys are from such schools but every single person I know from international schools are plain dumb brats.

but very profitable.. obviously they were after the money. Shame on Hwa Chong
    ACS, SJI..

lets say the money is good
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. — Bertrand Russell

but very profitable.. obviously they were after the money.
    *cough* not berry politically correct... but hey its good money... plus there are the rich foreign students.

Last time u see indo foreign students fling 100 dollar bills, we all go waaaa now I see china students fling 100 USD or euros like water... than I go macs and see the not so rich china students working there... really shake head...

I honestly dun find rich kids to be brats... most are well mannered and will at best insult u with a smile. They dun go all monkey on u like the wannabes. Yes, they all own 5-room-flat cars but they only drive that when the occassion requires em to bling bling. Guess growing up rich taugh em the basics in personal security.

And some rich ppl have very good manners etc etc, cuz they can afford to have image consultant, attend personal grooming classes etc etc when they are young
    Home Entertainment: Xtreamer NMT | Hotway Probox 4 Bay Enclosure| WD Green 808.88GB x2 Seagate 750GB

Currently using: Samsung Galaxy Note II

Cowon J3 + FischerAudio DBA-02 + Fiio E11

Ya lah ya lah, I was shamelessly steretyping there

Yeah, I dont really think rich students are more likely to be poorly behaved. but I'm surprised HCI would have an international school.

SJI and AC are good but not in the "top" category. HC always seemed to be the no 2 (although its not clear anymore with Integrated Programs) so I never expected them to want to or need to have an international school that would yeap, pull in lots of moolah.

Like Raffles will never have an international school I dare say. I'm not a Rafflesian and dont know their management per se but I know they're adamant about maintaining their cream of the crop status (and the Rafflesians I know work really hard for it).

tsk.. how could I compare HC to Raffles The latter's in a league of their own. They were identified as one of the feader schools for Ivy legue universities like Harvard!

Quote Originally Posted by leader288 View Post
    It was one of those synthetic shirts with collar, had red highlights along the shoulders. They stood out because they were in a group, and the shirts had a HCI logo on the back between the shoulders. It was different than what I usual white red and yellow t-shirts I see some students wearing...
    As far as what my memory can recall, their soccer attire is white with red stripes along the shoulders forming an adidas shirt-like design.

But HCI logo at the back? It should be their name. Maybe some club made a new CCA shirt because I don't recall any with logo at the back (because it doesn't really look nice)

Quote Originally Posted by rongjie View Post
    just fyi, i think your referring to the hwa chong international students. THEY are the RICH kids... with RICH families. Okay? Hwa chong students and international students different, international students wear polo tees with HWA CHONG stamped on it.
    They'd have grey pants instead of khaki pants though.

tsk.. how could I compare HC to Raffles The latter's in a league of their own. They were identified as one of the feader schools for Ivy legue universities like Harvard!
    I vehemently object to this statement. HC has a higher emphasis on holistic development and is more homely than its competitive counterpart. Besides, it's not as if HC is doing any worse than RI for A levels.

almost every school have these kinda student de lah. Maybe government shud do smthing abt this

Quote Originally Posted by ssxdots View Post

I vehemently object to this statement. HC has a higher emphasis on holistic development and is more homely than its competitive counterpart. Besides, it's not as if HC is doing any worse than RI for A levels.
    No way. In the past 5 years, RI's A Level results are way out of the league of even HCI. I've been checking when the results come out. I mean like over the past few years 40% of their students go to top universities abroad often on scholarships and the have by far the most number of students with at least 4 H2 distinctions. Its like only the poorer half of their cohort go to NUS!

Oh come on, RI is clearly the most holistic looking at their cca achievements. The Rafflesians I know are incredibly all rounded. and employers think so too seeing as how they dominate scholarship awards. I dont know enough HCI students to comment. but then again this isn't an empirical study, mere perception I qualify.

Well I shan't dwell further, I know how school loyalties can mean a lot to some.

I have no incentive to promote R though, not my alma mater. just my neutral observations.
    Last edited by concept|infinit; Mar 25th, 10 at 10:47 PM.

stupid ass holes... bird brains

Ya lah ya lah, I was shamelessly steretyping there

Yeah, I dont really think rich students are more likely to be poorly behaved. but I'm surprised HCI would have an international school.

SJI and AC are good but not in the "top" category. HC always seemed to be the no 2 (although its not clear anymore with Integrated Programs) so I never expected them to want to or need to have an international school that would yeap, pull in lots of moolah.

Like Raffles will never have an international school I dare say. I'm not a Rafflesian and dont know their management per se but I know they're adamant about maintaining their cream of the crop status (and the Rafflesians I know work really hard for it).

this is strange.. u mean to say that Rafflesians work hard in order to maintain reputation. What a shallow reason for working hard!

really hardcore/naive stereotyping/accusation from a mod leh...

The focus of the 2 schools also very important. Raffles is result result result and HC is traditional values + all rounded education. Its like comparing Mac and PC.

You should be from either HCI or RI to even compare the the 2 schools like this. Don't take everything at face values. Figures aren't everything.

Finally, the school cultures are so different that students from the 2 schools have very distinct and different characteristics. It could be that the raffles education model encourages students to pursue over studies, while HCI culture of "drink water think of source" is such that the students are more likely to choose to stay in Singapore.
    Last edited by TheWicked; Mar 26th, 10 at 08:54 PM.

No way. In the past 5 years, RI's A Level results are way out of the league of even HCI. I've been checking when the results come out. I mean like over the past few years 40% of their students go to top universities abroad often on scholarships and the have by far the most number of students with at least 4 H2 distinctions. Its like only the poorer half of their cohort go to NUS!
    Damn thrash dah. Raffles takes in students with higher academic performance than HC. If you want to compare quality of education, you should be comparing the amount of value-add to the students by the schools. (Really chui schools like AJC often has negative value add, meaning good students in, chui students out). If i never rmb wrongly HC has higher value-add than RI. However, you could also argue that HC has higher value add because RI students too zai nothing to add already. So there is no way to really compare.

Oh come on, RI is clearly the most holistic looking at their cca achievements. The Rafflesians I know are incredibly all rounded. and employers think so too seeing as how they dominate scholarship awards. I dont know enough HCI students to comment. but then again this isn't an empirical study, mere perception I qualify.
    Do you know top schools like raffles and hc threaten to/close down CCAs with insufficient achievements? So what are you trying to say? Raffles is more efficient at closing down non-performing CCAs than HC? Employers? Dominate scholarship awards? Where's the sauce?

Well I shan't dwell further, I know how school loyalties can mean a lot to some.

I have no incentive to promote R though, not my alma mater. just my neutral observations.
    Certainly don't sound neutral.

Note, i'm not arguing that HC is as good/better than Raffles.
    But your reasoning is really invalid and there is really no basis for comparison.

anyway, also damn far off topic alrdy...

i think conclusion is middle finger pointers are likely to be from HCIS (HC International School)
    Even if they are from HCI, nothing surprising.

Name me one school without anyone who points middle finger.

Still, the mystery of why they apparently point at TS is still unsolved.
    Was TS naked on the bus wearing only a headphone

btw what model was it
    Last edited by TheWicked; Mar 26th, 10 at 09:06 PM.

I've been checking when the results come out. I mean like over the past few years 40% of their students go to top universities abroad often on scholarships and the have by far the most number of students with at least 4 H2 distinctions. Its like only the poorer half of their cohort go to NUS!
    Anything coming from me is going to obviously be from the other camp, so I shall present only cold hard facts.

Last batch's results:

7 in 10 of Hwa Chong students scored 3 H2 or better
    47% of Raffles students scored 4H2 or better

ontopic: need TS to explain more

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast