Poll: System-poll: Are the prices offered by seller competitive?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

iPHONE : Checking for water damage

Recently, i've been collecting many used iphones and realised some of the sets though working perfectly fine, are water damaged. In such cases, a fee of $350 is charged for a replacement if you do it at Singtel.

Maybe alot of people already know of this, but its to prevent those who are not aware from getting a set with water damage. You'll definitely have a hard time at the telcos. So before u purchase, do check and be careful.

Where to check?

If an iPhone or iPod has been damaged by water or a liquid containing water (for example, coffee or a soft drink), the repair is not covered by the Apple one (1) year limited warranty or an AppleCare Protection Plan (APP). iPhone models and iPod models that were built after 2006 have built-in Liquid Contact Indicators that will show (as described below) whether water or a liquid containing water has entered the device.
    Last edited by freestyler; Dec 30th, 09 at 12:25 PM.
    BUY ALL USED/NEW IPHONE 5 @ HIGH PRICE!!

+1 nice job

Buy / Sell / Trade Mobile Phones/Laptops New/Used. Buy Back or rent as well -91138008

gadget-modder
    oh, this is like some LG phones and Sony Ericsson batteries with a spot that will turn pink upon exposure to water or excessive moisture (so their personnel can immediately tell if the set is water-damaged).

modz pls sticky this thread?
    MSI Neo2-FR + C2D E7200 @ 3.2GHz
    2X2GB G.Skill Black PI PC 6400 CL4
    HIS HD4850 DDR3 + TT DuOrb
    WD Caviar Black 640GB (OS)
    Seagate 7200.11 500GB RAID 0
    Seagate 7200.10 250GB (torrent)
    CM RealPower 750W
    iCute Super18 w/ side-panel (powder-coated)

ignore list: kkpkkp, silentboiii, mafei, cycliz

sticky this if needed

do be aware that even sweat from your hands may just trigger this red spot. $350, not cheap dont tio carrot for nothing
    BUY ALL USED/NEW IPHONE 5 @ HIGH PRICE!!

stick something over it lor

Great post.

Yes they do check if water really went in. My friend sent his iPod Touch for RMA and they used those special glasses to look inside for rusting. Well sometimes if you do lie about it, you can get away with it. They were reluctant to change at first but probably they cannot confirm that it is the user's fault so they changed it in the end.

Because it isn't nice if you are not sure and you accuse the user of exposing the device to water. At the expense of creating a scene at the shop? I think the salesperson knew it wasn't worth it.

gadget-modder
    erm, no, usually these spots are hidden (like on the battery, but between it and the phone) so there is no "accidental exposure" so to speak (like rain drops or sweat). only submersion will usually result in a red spot
    CM RealPower 750W

gadget-modder
    Quote Originally Posted by John_Chee View Post
    Great post.

Yes they do check if water really went in. My friend sent his iPod Touch for RMA and they used those special glasses to look inside for rusting. Well sometimes if you do lie about it, you can get away with it. They were reluctant to change at first but probably they cannot confirm that it is the user's fault so they changed it in the end.

Because it isn't nice if you are not sure and you accuse the user of exposing the device to water. At the expense of creating a scene at the shop? I think the salesperson knew it wasn't worth it.
    those at Sony Ericsson opened mine up to check, and they said there is corrosion, so last repair (but turned out can't be repaired, so let it be).. i think to accept or not is really their says in the end
    CM RealPower 750W

Time to invest those dust plugs pple!!!!!!!!!!!!

maybe im too kia see...but..i bought 3 sets liao...lol

for my ipod 5.5gb video...ipod touch 1st gen ...and iphone 3gs...wahahahaha!!!!
    My items on sale are purely personal items..

wat i know they (dust plugs) are selling for $5 for the 3.5mm hole and connectors..go around forum n check..pretty good investments for the phones i think..

Sometimes it also shows how important such gadgets are in our lives. We use them when we are eating, in the toilet etc.

From this thread you can clearly see that many people are going great lengths to cover holes etc to prevent detection, but none mentioned that they are going to change their usage habits such that there is minimal chance for the device coming into contact with water.

What I learnt is that if it has been fully sumerged in water, faster take out use hair dryer and dry it. Sometimes it will try out the moisture but the device might work weirdly so just send it back to the service centre and hope that they will change for you.

Smile Water Damage

Easy Steps to Follow for iPhone or iPhone 3GS Water Damage

Below are 11 easy steps to follow if you're iPhone has experienced water damage. Read on below for more details on each step.

1. Do not turn it on - that means, do not touch any buttons.
    2. Do not turn it on - that means again, do not touch any buttons!
    3. Do not turn it on - again, this will cause the phone to short circuit if there is ANY amount of water in it
    4. Take it out of the case and remove the sim card.
    5. Shake out any extra water.
    6. Use a blow dryer on low heat for about 15 minutes to try and blow air through it and get rid of some of the water. Make sure it is on low heat.
    7. Shake it out again.

Put it in a bag of rice, make sure it is completely covered
    9. Leave it in the rice bag for 2 -3 days if your phone was in water for less then a few minutes and 6-7 days if your phone was in water for more than that.

Each day, take it out of the rice and use the blow dryer on low heat again for an additional 15 minutes. Then, put it back in the bag of rice.
    10. After 2-3 days you can check to see if it is still wet by shaking it a little to see if any water comes out. Sometimes, water may not come out so if you want to be sure, leave it there for 4-5 days.
    11. After you've left it in the rice bag for enough time, then try and turn it on to see if it works.
    Last edited by Journals009; Jan 11th, 10 at 06:44 PM.

haha....i almost choked on my siew mai....wow liao!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

u could put it in a dry cabinet if you own one for your camera gear... leave it there fora day or 2.
    ... Romulus ... fromKhon Kaen, Thailand

Get lots of anhydrous salt and stick your item inside.

You might have trouble dislodging stuck crystals, though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast