Quite a lot of the xtremecoolers have been asking me my workaround so here it is.
I've never tried the latest rivatuner to rid throttling. I usually start with warm gpu let it cool down, set clocks and save settings to load on startup and boot into windows overclock and bench away. Its not that consistent sometimes it does throttle also, I have 2 partitions, one to let warm GPU cool down in and one which has overclocked speed saved at bootup. I only enter the overclocked partition after GPU goes down to temperature.
Anyways the card is not sold just returned.
I also disabled the nvidia startup components cept the one for the clock speeds."
The vital points I think are:
-Boot with warm GPU
-Disable any nvida programs that run at startup and services, except the clock speed set of the coolbits
-Check save clock speed at startup
-Once the optimal speed is saved at start up, bootups should spend waiting for GPU to cool down in bios or another partition.
Once you can get a throtle free run, usually it will stay throttle-free 80% of the time if you follow the same sequence until you try to change clock speeds or drivers.
My suggestion is:
1) Install nvidia drivers with normal or warm GPU, nothing below 25C. Enable Coolbits.
2) Reboot and disable all nvidia startup programs and services in msconfig
3) Reboot into windows with warm GPU and trun on the GPU xtreme cooling
4) Once GPU core hits saturated cold temperature, Pull the core and mem clocks to estimated stable speed with coolbits. Check "Save setiings at startup"
5) Start benching. If it crashes then reboot and try again. If it doesn't bench again, lower clocks and try again.
-install drivers and tweak proggy "COOLBITS" and so on and when you go to bench I do this
-boot at ambeint.
-while in windows wait till you reach over 40c temps HW monitor in CP
-plug in phasechange or turn on tec / chiller
-wait till you drop below 10c on into the red and then reboot right away this 9 out of ten time kills the issue on reboot you sometimes get the temp monitor "STUCK" at 0c and thermal throttle is off
just a few tweaks I used to do on older nvidia cards so give it a whirl
Last edited by MickeyMouse; Sep 10th, 04 at 11:20 AM.
mICKEYmOUSE* SilverStonetek/Asustek Powered QX9650 + CF 2900XT / CFX 3870x2 + Asus P5E64 WS PRO / Asus P5E3 WS PRO!