Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Real World Overclocking! MacClipper's Avatar

Lightbulb ★ MacPReview ★ - Overclock King? The Asrock X79 Extreme9 LGA2011 mobo -

A bit late to the game but here it is...

Official page
    X79 Motherboard Series Manufacturing - ASRock Inc.

Advanced 16 + 2 Power Phase Design
    5 x PCIe 3.0 x16 Slots, Supports AMD 3-Way CrossFireX™ and NVIDIA® 3-Way SLI™
    Broadcom Dual LAN with Teaming Function
    Supports ASRock X-FAN, XFast RAM, XFast LAN, XFast USB, XFast Charger, Graphical UEFI, UEFI System Browser, AXTU
    Creative Sound Core3D 7.1 CH, Supports THX TruStudio PRO
    Free Bundle : ASRock Game Blaster, Front USB 3.0 Panel
    Form Factor - ATX Form Factor: 12.0-in x 9.6-in, 30.5 cm x 24.4 cm

PACKAGING

BLURB & BUNDLE
    - See? Overclock King is not I anyhow say one hor...

MOBO
    - with close-up of the slot hardware wiring and the many many tiny "QC OK" round stickers

HEATSINKS
    - dark and sinister as you like it!

GOODIES GALORE

12 SATA ports - yes, count 'em and weep! 2 x 8 pin CPU power plugs!

2 x USB3 front headers, PCI-e 3.0 bridge chips

Onboard Debug LED, Power/Reset buttons & tall sizable heatsinks

Asrock Game Blaster
    - bundled with mobo

Strip time!

Move in a little closer!
    - ah, the pretty Sound Core plastic cover hides a little Creative labeled chip while the other little square is a Broadcom BCM57781 network chip

IN ACTION

Daylight

Lights Off!

Backplate
    - ooh, pretty pretty lights to guide your input plugs even - just lovely!

Creative Drivers & Control Panel
    - developed in SG hor!

Both hardware and software too are the real Creative stuff and not just Realtek papered over... if you can catch the drift.
    'He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose' - Jim Elliot

Click on the pic to download a free pdf sample of the bestselling book!
    Science the new God - till now, Science has not been able to determine precisely even the size of the universe.
    By what yardstick then does Science hope to use in measuring the Creator of the universe? Think again.

★ Asrock-Asus | FX-9590 | Corsair Vgn Pro | NiCu HK 3.0-GTX360 | Vapor-X 280X | Corsair RM1000 ★

My 24/7 Real World Overclocking! Blog

EARLY TESTING
    - anyhow hantam a little bit here and there for starters

i7 [email protected]
    Asrock x79 Extreme9 mobo
    16GB [email protected] in quad channel
    Zotac GTX 560 Ti Samurai Edition
    超级花 GK 1KW Platinum PSU

HANDBRAKE
    - great freeware for productive stress testing, 2 thumbs up from me and 6 core crunching power from the test rig!

USB3 by Texas Intruments!
    And introducing my cheapo S$15 Jackie Chan SLC USB3 flashdrive! Darn, think still too slow for taxing USB3 bandwidth... gives me good excuse to go HK again, lol

Nonetheless, it's a great buy cos cannot hiam so much since SG is so far behind with USB3 stuff... kaoz
    Last edited by MacClipper; Dec 20th, 11 at 11:51 PM.
    'He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose' - Jim Elliot

Science the new God - till now, Science has not been able to determine precisely even the size of the universe.
    By what yardstick then does Science hope to use in measuring the Creator of the universe? Think again.

★ Asrock-Asus | FX-9590 | Corsair Vgn Pro | NiCu HK 3.0-GTX360 | Vapor-X 280X | Corsair RM1000 ★

Last edited by MacClipper; Dec 21st, 11 at 01:46 AM.

keep em coming =D

Quote Originally Posted by shaoz2388 View Post
    keep em coming =D
    Thanks for the support.

Offset and LLC
    Meddling with different Offset and LLC values - this also works well enough with no throttling observed.

OK, received the latest latest UEFI (dated 20th Dec) just a few minutes ago if anyone wanna give it a try
    UEFI 1.84 - Ziddu

8dimms 2133 no problem. cheers

Almost impossible to find any proper x79 memory reviews on the web so far, this round-up covers only synthetic benches so take it for what it's worth.

Review: X79 Memory Roundup - Bright Side Of News*

Does anyone have links to better RAM reviews eg. quad vs tri vs dual channel improvements etc...?

Ah found a real app memory benchmark comparison done on this page, results seem pretty close on this chart so looks like the usual diminishing returns
    KitGuru

Bean Counting

Going by the above chart IF it can be trusted, for a real life non-synthetic app like 3D Studio Max 2011

2133 vs 2400

16GB at 2133MHz = 322s
    16GB at 2400MHz = 318s

Improvement going from 2133 to 2400 = 4s = 1.26%

1600 vs 2133
    - tougher to compare this one fairly cos a) different RAM brand/model b) different RAM capacity

32GB at 1600MHz = 329s
    16GB at 2133MHz = 322s

Improvement going from 1600 to 2133 = 7s = 2.13%

Factor in the % improvement vs the jump in the RAM prices across the 1600 vs 2133 vs 2400 binning to see if it is worth the money in your own personal usage. Other factors not touched upon include mostly higher volts needed to power higher speed RAM, consequent power consumption, faster wear and tear on the CPU IMC, mobo etc...

Anyway, this is posted purely for constructive discussion - perhaps for most users, like on the P67/Z68 platform, buying higher speed RAM may probably be mostly vanity aka e-peenity, a costly misadventure with rather low returns.

Value RAM FTW!

yeah looks like value ram ftw bro try 1333 x 4?

Post #2
    16GB KVR@1866
    Yeah, running 4 x 1333 sticks all this while but just not at 1333 speeds.

Overclocked Value RAM lagi FTW!

I think the memory be it capacity or the speed does not have a very significant impact on the system for real world usage. So any cheapo value ram will just do fine.

But they have very significant impact on the SRP...bloody ex for 2400mhz ram...lol

hi longsiew, I may be wrong but from what I am observing across various net forums, SLS and even HK, the adoption rate for the x79 platform is rather slow/low and one possible factor is the perceived high cost performance vs Sandy Bridge.

If budget RAM DDR3 [email protected] can get the job done at 95% the speed in real life as fast as the DDR3-2400 variety at only ~20% of the cost - that may help to sway those who are still considering the upgrade.

Present 4 x 4 GB value DDR3 1333 sticks ~S$100 locally
    Present 4 x 4 GB hiao DDR3 2400 sticks ~US$500 locally (guesstimate only, possibly higher with distro margin)
    Newegg.com - 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2400 (PC3 19200) Desktop Memory

Think no need to frighten off the potential customers so much bah...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast