Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Master of past & present Shamino's Avatar

Want high FSB and high Vcore? I think I've a solution...

Quite a few people including me have problems with high v core voltages and high FSBs at the same time. Well here's something to play with. I/O voltage. Yep, the now neglected voltage seems to be back. I've problems getting 238Mhz FSB to run stably at voltages over 2.15v and problems booting into windows stably at 240 Mhz FSB at 2.125v. Well I have a chanelwell powersupply that has tweakable potmeters inside for 3.3v rail and 5v/12v rail. Well I've had my 3.3v (I/O) set at 3.36v or so in the past. Well I decided to play with it and set it to 3.58v maxing at 3.60v. Thats the max I can set it before my power supply's over-voltage protection cuts off the power.
    Well, upping the 3.3v rail has another effect other than upping the I/O voltage. Dimm voltage moves up a bit too.
    Anyways I decided to give these high FSB/high voltage problem another try. So I went into windows at 238 FSB at 2.15v. And then I fired up Prime 95 expecting it to turn yellow in a while. Waited for a few minutes. Still red? Hmmm..... and then it just went on running prime 95 without failing when in the past it would fail quite quickly!
    Ok ok, maybe its the dimm voltage that went up a little bit. So I rebooted and lowered the dimm voltage one notch. Went into windows and prime 95 again. And it was doing it like just now, no failures when it was impossible in the past! So ok, I was pretty excited. So I turned down the PC, tweaked the 3.3v rail down to 3.36v or so and tried prime 95 again. This time, it failed in just a short time.
    So to double confirm, I loaded her up at 240 Mhz FSB 2.125v, 3.36v I/O. into windows and this windows error and shutting down timer comes up like usual. Turned her off and uped the I/O to around 3.56-3.58v. Booted straight into windows without any annoying countdown to shutdown and still running now, although prime 95 does fail ATM, ram timings or maybe not, but the fact is the I/O voltage does play a significant part. And I would expect it to also help FSB overclocking, maybe not as much as VDD but there should be some effect I think. Now for more stability and more effect, I think I would want to up it to 3.8 to 3.9v if I could. But this is impossible for me until I mod the board itself. I'm gonna try a 420 watt chanelwell to see if I can get over 3.58v. Anyone know which is the I/O voltage regulator on the NF7?

Nice discovery Apparently that an overclocker from Japan is able to max out his FSB. Not sure whether he has done the VIO mod thou.

http://members.jcom.home.ne.jp/3233730401/43s.htm

Visionary, I think the last pic is the Vdimm mod, though I don't know what the rest of the the components on the piece of board does.
    The one near the parallel port looks like vcore, but why would anyone need a higher vcore than 2.3v? Maybe thats the I/O voltage mod. I'll check out the IC chip.

Can anyone with a Rev. 1.2 help me check out the code letters on this chip circled at the right?

I'm trying to find the chip that regulates I/O voltage and I've found the spot to take I/O voltage measurement so it should be nearby. In the process, it seems to me that this chip is a little different on the Rev. 2.0 that I have compared to the one in the picture which is a Rev 1.2.

The code on mine is
    25A6NYK
    HCTUO

That is if my eyes dont fail me cos these words are so minute.

Got a reply from another guy who said this works to raise FSB as well. The link is here.
    http://www.thenakedreview.com/forums...7277#post17277
    Gotta find a way to I/O mod now
    :alien:

AlienKing
    Check out this thread at the abit forums. The Japanese aren't the only ones getting 250 on the nf7.

http://forum.abit-usa.com/showthread...&threadid=5130

Hmmm.. just measured my VDD and found that it went up with the increased VIO. Maybe that's what was helping? That means I've been running 2.4v VDD for quite some time now heh.

OPPAINTER
    Shamino,

Did you figuer out a I/O mod?

OPP

No, not yet Opp. Still doing it through the power supply, which limits me to 3.5+v.

arDAWG
    Good find... I was primed to try this out w/ my 8RDA+ but the TTGI 520W psu I am using only offers the 5V/12V pot. I may havta break out my Antec 400W (unless I can find a mod point for a pot for the 3.3V rail on the TTGI). It was actually this thread that has me interested in the Antec True Control 550W. The front panel independent 3.3/5/12V pots are sweet---but I would guess the overvolt protection would still be an issue. I guess I'll havta dig for an I/O mod for the 8RDA+. I'm guessing this won't be easy to locate b/c it seems everyone else has practically forgotten this (or @ least mobo manufacturers seem to have, as it's not offered in the bios voltage settings anymore).

grdh20
    I switched ouit the TTGI 520 for the True Control and maxed out, the 3.3 line says 3.4 in pchealth and 3.6 in Abit Hardware Monitor 1.6.

Malecky
    Could this be the answer for my troubless?

This is my porblem

No mather what I do I cant get above 228mhz FSB.

Waht do you guys think? My 3.3V Line is constantly at 3.30V Flat...is this not enough for just a bit more than 228mhz?

I switched PSUs with no luck...but I switched it with a 300W.

arDAWG
    I switched out my TTGI w/ an Antec400w & tried cranking the 3.3. Unfortunately, mine seems to kick in the OV protection @ 3.5V (the +5% that is being claimed & bitched about w/ the TrueControl550W). It did seem to allow P95 to run w/out errors, but I had all kindz of graphics anomolies when I tried to run 3dMark2001 w/ my ti4200 oc'ed to settings which had ran fine before (315/690) w/ the TTGI. Basically, I had all kinds of black lines (or rays??) coming off of the truck, the mech & background in game 1 & 2...so I killed it. Popped the TTGI 520 back in & all my problems have gone away. Besides, the TTGI is showing ~3.5V on the I/0 (on a kx7), so the Antec was not really giving me that much more (though, it could be different on the 8RDA+, I'll grant that). I dunno if the Antec 400w is underpowered for my system (I have a buttload of fans) or what. But running 3DMark & games is more important than P95. In fact Prime95 is the only program that gives me fits...I can run SuperPI, SETI, MemTest86, SSSandra's BurnIn Wizard, games & so on. So, my attitude now, as far as p95 goes, is fukkit.
    I know others w/ oc'ed NF2 boards (my brother being one of them---he has an NF7/s) who have the same issues w/ Prime. It kinda rags on my nerves that I cannot get it to run like I want...but for now my attitude is the h3ll w/ it. Everything else runs fine, so I ain' gonna sweat it.

I dunno if this is common knowledge or not but RAM CAN affect Prime95... Try looser timings... it fixes my prime errors... I can't run them in turbo mode even though i'm on 2 5 2 2 timings... In optimal it's fine... push it to turbo mode and the thing fails after 1 hr

And it doesn't matter what's the resulting speed... for example I'm running DDR400 RAM at DDR350 now and I'm having Prime errors if I run them with turbo settings...
    P4 2.4C @ 3.?
    P4 2.6C @ 3.64 SL6WS Philli
    Vapochill PE Ti
    Asus P4P800 Deluxe (Vdimm modded)
    Twinmos CH-5 512MB x 2
    Corsair XMS3500C2512 v1.1 x 2
    Hercules 9800 Pro 128MB
    Waterchill(ed) NB and GPU
    VR-Zone Extreme-cooled Member
    Join the Fight with your CPU cycles
    http://d2ol.sengent.com/memberServic...le.jsp?id=1646
    Photography

arDAWG
    Yeah, I know that...but Prime95 is so pissy. It gets to a point where I don't feel like messing w/ it. It comes down to the question of "why should I??" My system is not crashing, I can run 3dMark2001se for hours, play games for hours, do whatever I want. I just don't see going w/ looser timings just so one bitchy proggy will run. If I start getting other errors & such, then I'll play w/ the ddr again or go w/ the VDIMM/VBT mod so I can run the VDIMM around 3-3.1V. I'm planning on moving to TwinMos 3200 (w/ the Winbond) soon anywayz. The TwinMos is cheap as h3ll right now over here. I can get a 256meg stick for ~$60US. I was gonna go w/ the 3700, but I've read that it has issues w/ the 8RDA+ & the 3200 is actually clocking higher w/ tighter timings. Apparently, the 8RDA+ (& all NF2 boards, perhaps) is picky about what ddr you stick in it, esp. in DC mode. To be honest, I've never messed w/ timings so much in my life since I've gone w/ the NF2. W/ the Via boards, it was pretty much set it @ 5-2-2-2.0 T1 & forget it. Of course, I never was @ 200+fsb w/ Via boards either. But I've tried all sorts of timings & it seems that 6-3-3 2.0 is the best w/ my particular setup. I tried 5-2-2 2.0 T1 to start out w/ it...MemTest was a no go w/ errors in Test1, after about 10 secs!!!. I then tried the oddball settings (e.g., 3-3-2-2.0, 3-3-2-2.5) & they were also a no go. It seems if I set the T(RCD) &/or the T(RP) to 2, then MemTest will fail. However, I did get it to run @ 4-2-2-2.0 @ 185mhz (the default for my ddr). It wouldn't fly @ 200mhz plus, though. I went w/ the HyperX 3000 b/c I've read that it plays nice w/ the 8RDA+ & actually does as well as the pc3500 w/ this mobo (plus, it was a steal @ $45 a stick). I cannot confirm nor deny this, as I don't have any pc3500 HyperX to compare w/. I think I'll go w/ some TwinMos 3200, however. The HyperX has gone far beyond what I thought it would (up to 220, so far). I've seen so many have good results w/ the TwinMos though, I feel it's the safest bet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast