Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

External micrphone for DSLR

Anybody has experience using an external microphone for shooting videos with DSLR? Nikon DSLR's in particular if it matters.

I've recently been asked to do some videos there and here instead of photos, but the audio recording on them are always usually pretty horrible, especially if its an interview sort of video.

This is for voluntary work so pls don't ask me to splurge & buy a dedicated equipment for videography haha, just looking at an external mic to add on to a D800.

Edit: I'm generally leaning towards a wireless lapel mic to clip close to the speaker, or a wired mount-on-top of my DSLR sorta mic
    Last edited by mokky_123; Jan 25th, 13 at 04:52 PM.
    Asus Maximus VII Gene | i7-4790K | Kingston HyperX X1 1600mhz 4*4GB| Razer Vespula Mass Effect 3 + Black Edition Death Adder| Unicomp KB | Red Cherry MX Board | Samsung 840 PRO SSD 512gb + 2TB WD RE4 | Asus GTX680 4GB | FiiO A1 + Klipsch B-2 | Dell U2713HM + U2312HM | Lianli A04 | Win7 HP 64bit

Samsung Galaxy Note II | HTC 7 Pro | Nikon D700 | Nikkor 24-70mm, 70-200mm VRII & 60mm F2.8 | Sigma 35mm F1.4 | SB900

>>> www.BiteMyEars.com <<<

Also considering standalone options, then syncing the video/audio in a computer afterwards~
    Asus Maximus VII Gene | i7-4790K | Kingston HyperX X1 1600mhz 4*4GB| Razer Vespula Mass Effect 3 + Black Edition Death Adder| Unicomp KB | Red Cherry MX Board | Samsung 840 PRO SSD 512gb + 2TB WD RE4 | Asus GTX680 4GB | FiiO A1 + Klipsch B-2 | Dell U2713HM + U2312HM | Lianli A04 | Win7 HP 64bit

Samsung Galaxy Note II | HTC 7 Pro | Nikon D700 | Nikkor 24-70mm, 70-200mm VRII & 60mm F2.8 | Sigma 35mm F1.4 | SB900

I'm using RODE Video Stereo Mic Pro.

Too bad I don't video much, would've gone for the Mono shotgun type one instead. Stereo is over rated.

If you're thinking of using an external one, can use a iPhone with a line mic (3.5mm type) then merge into the video with any video software that can import audio.

You'll need a clapper board or anything that can make a sharp sound so that the sound can sync. (you'll still activate the audio on your dslr, but when you use a clapper board, it will show a peak in volume, so if you move imported voice clip in and sync with the peak, you'll get a flawless audio video sync)

(remember to disable the audio from your DSLR when you export the clip.)

I've never ever done video-editing, less poly days where i did some project lol.

How hard is it to sync video/audio accurately?

Quote Originally Posted by mokky_123 View Post
    I've never ever done video-editing, less poly days where i did some project lol.

depends how many channels you're doing... say, if only 1 interviewee, then 1 iPhone, simple...

if its like a 5-10 with individual mics like those live tv shows, you will need dedicated person to control the channels. Will definitely be a very 'professional' job.

Without clapper board, can be very annoying to.
    It is better to remain silent and be taken as a fool, than to speak and prove your ignorance beyond doubt.

Rode mics are decent.

There are small mono shotguns available on the market now too. Some are also iPhone compatible (and shock-mountable on a mini boom).

For your case, see how often these videos need to be done. Might be worth getting volunteer professionals to do the job for you instead (for a small token?).
    Views expressed are my own.

WTS: Garage sales!! Pre-loved items sold for cheap!!

URGENT DOSE OF VITAMIN M REQUIRED.
    Can you help?

Any recommendations of specific models and where to buy?

what's ur purpose and the location of your shoot?

MicW Shotgun. $375 at CDA Pro-Audio (SLT 2nd floor...very interesting decor, hard to miss)

Worth going down with your full DSLR kit to have a play and feel of the product. Do note that it's pure mono, though. There are a few other options, but I think the shotgun works best for speech/vocal and interviews in a moderate to quiet env.

Also tell Joel that I said "hi".

Can you help?

2 main usage (though quite different, ideally 1 item accomodate both). Mainly is for close range interviews, and very occasionally videoing down performances/speeches in a cc badminton hall stage.

For videoing indoor performances, you might want to consider setting up about 2 or 3 cameras on location (3 being ideal: 2 on tripod, 1 mobile/steadycam or boom). Grab the audio feed from the mixer into a high-capacity PCM field recorder. Finish the video in post using Final Cut Pro or Premiere Pro.

Can you help?

Quote Originally Posted by 9VARZ View Post
    For videoing indoor performances, you might want to consider setting up about 2 or 3 cameras on location (3 being ideal: 2 on tripod, 1 mobile/steadycam or boom). Grab the audio feed from the mixer into a high-capacity PCM field recorder. Finish the video in post using Final Cut Pro or Premiere Pro.
    2 - 3 cameras or mics? Any programs that doesn't cost a thousand dollars that might do the job?

2 - 3 cameras or mics? Any programs that doesn't cost a thousand dollars that might do the job?
    Just cameras. If you're using the professional 3CCD or DSLR ones, they can also be rented or hired for the event/day.

Of course, if you think 1 camera is sufficient for your needs, just stick with it. Going with multiple cameras will help in producing a more polished final product because you then can have many angles and cut-scenes.

For the mics, it should be handled by the sound guys running/managing the show. (Very touchy subject on how to record live events. Not covered here.)

For the audio feed you will use with your video, get directly off the live sound mixer-board (i.e. the sound control room/console at the event location) and feed into a stereo field recorder (unless if the live audio feed is also in mono).

A decent field recorder (like the Zoom H4n or Tascam HD-P2) will not cost you stupid money, but it isn't exactly going to be cheap as well (usually a few hundreds to 1K+). You're also going to need a lot of storage if you anticipate the event to drag (eg. a 4-hour event recorded at 24-bit/96 kHz will require about 67GB of space).

The good thing about professional video cams and field recorders these days is that they all record to (relatively) inexpensive flash media and sometimes (esp. the JVC ones) encode the files in Premiere Pro or Final Cut Pro-friendly formats (saves a lot of time transcoding).

Software-wise, Mac users have it good with Final Cut Pro X ($370). Unfortunately, with Windows, you're still going to be stuck with only that many platforms to play with: Premiere Pro CS6 and Sony Vegas Pro 12 (not "Edit").

I *believe* that similar timeline-based FOSS platforms (important: they must support audio waveform syncing) may exist. But the very fact that these professional platforms still command quite a position despite the prohibitive prices in the market probably speaks volumes about their existence already.

ADD: CyberLink has the PowerDirector 11 Ultimate Suite (US$209). Screenshots and listed features look good. Worth giving it a shot.
    Last edited by 9VARZ; Jan 30th, 13 at 12:40 AM.

Can you help?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast