Smile Peak Design Kickstarter Combo: Slide, Clutch & CapturePRO review

This quick review is for the Peak Design Kickstarter Combo: Slide, Clutch & CapturePRO (see https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ref=nav_search). I supported this crowd-funding project because it meant I would save US$30 off the retail price & I would get the items before they were launched in the stores. I received my order on the 6th Dec 2014 shipped over from their distribution centre in Hong Kong although the projected shipping date had originally been Oct 2014. The delay was mainly due to issues with the retaining spring clip for the quick-release Anchor Link system which took some time to resolve.

This is a photo of the package contents (I also ordered some extra items like the ProPad, POV kit & extra Anchor links). All of the items come in very well-designed packaging with contents clearly labelled on the side & photos illustrating how to use the items as well. Most of them also have a flap on the front that opens up to show the actual item inside. Each comes with a Quick Set Up Guide, Allen keys (where required) & nice cloth pouches (except for the smaller additional items).

Here are a few photos just to show my previous set up comprising a BosStrap which I've modified to a 2-point attachment with a PhotoCam baseplate (mounted in the reverse position) from my previous Nikon D300s & generic padded handstrap. I carry my camera with the strap slung over my head, across my body and one shoulder.

(Sorry for the messy background!)

And here is the new setup with the Peak Design Slide & Clutch with the CapturePro Pro Plate. Please note: The D-Ring shown doesn't come with the either the PhotoCam or Pro Plate. This is the explanation from PD why they got rid of the D-Ring on their Pro Plate -
    'Our current CapturePRO quick-release plates have a D-ring on them. The new PROplate does not have a D-ring. We're phasing out the D-ring because even though it was good in some ways, it was problematic in others.
    The upside of a D-ring: it lets you hand-tighten and hand-loosen your quick-release plate, no tool needed. It also gives you a connection point for Anchors or other sling straps like those that Black Rapid makes.
    The downsides:
    1. Because the D-ring can be hand tightened, many folks tend to not use the hex tool. If you don't put enough elbow grease into it, you'll have a loose plate. While hand tightening and loosening is convenient, it's just not the safest.
    2. Very rarely the D-ring pops out when it shouldn't. Like when your camera is locked into Capture. The result is that you have to jiggle your camera around to get it out of Capture.
    So here's what we did:
    - We got rid of the D-ring in PROplate. Now you have to use a tool to tighten/loosen your plate.
    - The screw on PROplate has a hex and coin drive. If you don't have a wrench, you'll probably have a coin laying around.
    - We added a keyring on the hex wrench that comes with CapturePRO. Now it'll be more likely that you'll have a hex wrench with you.
    If you absolutely must have the D-ring screw, it's for sale separately (see the Add On Menu). It's called the PROdrive screw, and you can use it by itself or with any of our quick-release plates.'

The obvious differences now are 1) no more 2-point attachment (if one of the Anchor Links fails the camera will fall! However PD claims that the braided Vectran cords on the Anchor Links are rated to 100lbs/60kg each (Kickstarter PD site says 200lbs though!) and are designed for quick and easy attaching or detaching), 2) no more anti-twist baseplate (the wider rubber base of the new CapturePro baseplate is supposed to grip better. It remains to be seen how well it stays in place), 3) the camera doesn't slide up & down the strap (with the PD Slide the whole strap slides up with the camera). The other significant differences are the hardware is lighter & slightly lower in profile but the Slide strap doesn't roll up as compactly as the BosStrap due to the slightly rigid rubberised strips on the opposite side of the strap which are meant to help hold the strap in place when you use it slung on one shoulder. The Slide strap appears to be made of a similar car seatbelt material as the BosStrap but is slightly wider. I still managed to get my bullet ammo pouch SD card holder to fit though.

The buckles on the Slide allow for quick adjustment up or down but the locking levers themselves seem a little 'loose' and one of them doesn't lock well in place. Once slung across my shoulder with the weight bearing down, they do seem to stay in place though. Another minor quibble is it seems the hex screws were inked over with a red marker, and not very well either for one of them.

As I haven't field tested the new set up yet, only time will tell how well it will perform. But my initial tests at home do seem promising as I find the camera sits comfortably at my side and I don't experience any restriction when bringing the camera up from my side to shooting position. While the Clutch handstrap is narrower & stiffer than the generic one I was using previously, it feels just as comfortable and secure, doesn't restrict wrist or hand movement excessively and is easy to adjust. My one concern is over the strength and durability of the strap part that attaches to the camera lug.

Next up is the CapturePro Camera Clip which can be attached to your belt, bag shoulder strap or even tripod if you want to. It comes with a set of adapters that will allow it to fit into both ARCA and Manfrotto® RC2 tripods. The plate can be attached to CapturePro Camera Clip in any of the 4 directions. The metal hardware appears well machined and solid and the camera sits securely once mounted with very little play which can be further reduced by tightening the Plate Lock screw. The red quick release button seems a bit small but it has a lock position to prevent accidental deployment. One issue I had though was the lack of clearance between the Anchor Link and the quick release button on the Camera Clip which made it slightly awkward to both attach and remove the camera when using the Clutch and Camera Clip.

To close off for now, a quick mention of the Pro Pad that's designed to help cushion the weight of your camera when mounted to the CapturePro and attached to your belt or shoulder strap. The CapturePro and Pro Pad combo can also be used to hold a long lens with tripod collar to your belt or shoulder strap if you wish. The pad is well padded indeed and enables the CapturePro to be attached either vertically or horizontally. But it's best used without any camera strap attached as the Anchor Links may interfere with the mounting & removal as mentioned above.

I will update this thread further after I've done some field-testing of the setup.
    WTS: ORIGINAL SAMSUNG GALAXY NOTE/S3 COMPACT TRAVEL CHARGERS
    PROFESSIONAL PHOTOGRAPHER FOR HIRE
    Lenovo ThinkCentre M93p, Intel® Core™ i7-4765T CPU @ 2.00GHz, 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport SODIMM DDR3 1600 MT/s (PC3-12800) CL9 @1.35V, Crucial M500 960GB SSD, Seagate SV35 3TB HDD, HP dvd1270, Aego2, Dell UltraSharp U2311 LCD

Hows the Clutch on mirrorless (if you have)?

Quote Originally Posted by joeltng View Post
    Hows the Clutch on mirrorless (if you have)?
    A bit too long I think for most bodies like the Fuji X-T1 unless with a battery grip.
    WTS: ORIGINAL SAMSUNG GALAXY NOTE/S3 COMPACT TRAVEL CHARGERS
    PROFESSIONAL PHOTOGRAPHER FOR HIRE
    Lenovo ThinkCentre M93p, Intel® Core™ i7-4765T CPU @ 2.00GHz, 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport SODIMM DDR3 1600 MT/s (PC3-12800) CL9 @1.35V, Crucial M500 960GB SSD, Seagate SV35 3TB HDD, HP dvd1270, Aego2, Dell UltraSharp U2311 LCD