Page 75 of 125 FirstFirst ... 2565737475767785 ... LastLast
Results 1,111 to 1,125 of 1866
    Quote Originally Posted by wenasong View Post
    Outdoor wiring is the way to go for this case. Try this cable : AMP Netconnect [1859222-1714]<-- White Cable if your outdoor wall is white. Full Specs Link.
    It is, "XG CAT 6A" grade cable I use this for most of my projects that includes outdoor to riser wiring and 10G Copper Wiring. The newer model is [1499389] this one is the EU ROHS compliant.

Indoor wiring also possible but it will increase cost but negligible for this case. Maybe 10 to 20 more $$$. You can use the same wire as above or, use the cheaper Unshielded CAT6. and route it from your stairs.

If you want to avoid hassle, wireless is the way to go. But, expect lower performance than cable. Wireless performance can be on par with cable only if, you willing to spend as much or rather more money compared to cable + cabling [for this case only]. Those equipments are usually use for wireless link above 5km or penetrating 5 storey of 250mm suspended slabs with minimal performance degradation.

If want to go extreme, try fiber optics using SFP or transceiver.

Another alternatives, try MoCA. Ethernet over Coaxial a.k.a Starhub SCV point.
    How much for the outdoor 6A cable /M?

Yay .. my 'burst' is back

Open one tab for 20 secs and the 'burst' launched the bar to the middle liao
    Last edited by |ce; Sep 16th, 11 at 11:58 PM.
    Razer Destructor Black, Samsung T260HD, AE Aego M 2.1 White, Sony Playstation 3 Lightning Version 2, Samsung 32" 5 Series Slim LED TV, Fiio E12 Black, Shure Limited Blue SE215, Edifier S730, Fiio X5, Samsung K Zoom White, Astro A40 MixAmp Pro, Ducky Shine4 White with White Switch, SteelSeries Sensei Wireless Laser Mouse, Sony Playstation 4 Glacier White 500GB, Apple iPad Mini 3 16GB 4G Gold, Oppo N3, UE MegaBoom Purple, Creative Roar 2 Black, Razer Firefly, Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 8.0 WiFi, Fujifilm FinePix S8600 Red Rouge, Samsung Galaxy A3 LTE Gold, Samsung Galaxy Tab E 9.6, LG V10 Beige,

Blacklist : audiohubSG 81976118

The last I bought is close to 1000SGD per 500m for the AMP cable. So works out per meter about 2 bucks CAT6A outdoor cable. This excludes termination (cost about a few dollars per 2 ends). If you want neater set up, go for outdoor ducting and patch panel. These will increase cost but still within reasonable range.

Some plenum rated cable costs more but I don't think it's necessary in Singapore. Have to check with BCA. Also, the wire comes with grounding that will improve shielding. So proper termination is very important.
    Bzzzzzzzzzzzzt Blitz.

Cert : #1212NA195 , #1404TCE008 , #1404WE064 , #1405RE146 , #1405INE010 , #1604UME060

The last I bought is close to 1000SGD per 500m for the AMP cable. So works out per meter about 2 bucks CAT6A outdoor cable. This excludes termination (cost about a few dollars per 2 ends). If you want neater set up, go for outdoor ducting and patch panel. These will increase cost but still within reasonable range.

Some plenum rated cable costs more but I don't think it's necessary in Singapore. Have to check with BCA. Also, the wire comes with grounding that will improve shielding. So proper termination is very important.
    Okay, I will get myself maybe 30meters. How good is the Fibre to Coaxial?

You will pay more for fiber to coax converter.

One thing for sure, the ONT from Nucleus Connect remains as part of the system. The connection from ONT to router is pretty flexible (can start with cabling already, having the router upstairs) or better to just stick to current set up. Router downstairs, client PC upstairs.
    Bzzzzzzzzzzzzt Blitz.

Cert : #1212NA195 , #1404TCE008 , #1404WE064 , #1405RE146 , #1405INE010 , #1604UME060

One thing for sure, the ONT from Nucleus Connect remains as part of the system. The connection from ONT to router is pretty flexible (can start with cabling already, having the router upstairs) or better to just stick to current set up. Router downstairs, client PC upstairs.
    Actually, just curious, my house, when it was built, had no SCV cable. The main point was right outside my gate under the tree. Then when they had a promotion, I had them install a point from outside to the living room and another point in my client pc room. So the splitting occurs at my garage, if I were to use the MoCA implementation will it work? I am afraid I get external interference since the splitting is so near the main point outside the house.

The layout is like this.

Outside my gates ------> Inside the garage, split --------> 1st point living room level 1, 2nd point client room, level three (cable runs outdoors)

Will MoCA work?

Quote Originally Posted by b3nnj1:10462594

Actually, just curious, my house, when it was built, had no SCV cable. The main point was right outside my gate under the tree. Then when they had a promotion, I had them install a point from outside to the living room and another point in my client pc room. So the splitting occurs at myr garage, if I were to use the MoCA implementation will it work? I am afraid I get external interference since the splitting is so near the main point outside the house.

The layout is like this.

Outside my gates ------> Inside the garage, split --------> 1st point living room level 1, 2nd point client room, level three (cable runs outdoors)

Will MoCA work?
    MoCA works under some circumstances and it has its limits. I'm not really sure about this MoCA thingy yet, haven't really try it myself. Thus, can't guarantee that this will work if thats the case. Just now I'm assuming that the current SCV cabling in your premise is similar to how they do cabling in a standard HDB flats with larger area coverage.

From my experience, the last time I use coaxial in local networking context is for 10BASE Ethernet back then in the 90s.
    Last edited by wenasong; Sep 17th, 11 at 02:32 AM.
    Bzzzzzzzzzzzzt Blitz.

MoCA works under some circumstances and it has its limits. I'm not really sure about this MoCA thingy yet, haven't really try it myself thus, can't guarantee that this will work if thats the case. Just now I'm assuming that the current SCV cabling in your premise is similar to how they do cabling in a standard HDB flats with larger area coverage.

From my experience, the last time I use coaxial in local networking context is for 10BASE Ethernet back then in the 90s.
    Wah lao, scary. But the last time I was on M1 cable it was capable of transmitting close to the same speed I am getting now. Hence my curiosity... If I could just use the coaxial, then life would be MUCH simpler.

But then there are little to almost no reviews on transmission over coaxial online. Its like flying blind. So maybe cat6 is the way to go, or cat6a. I assume it is as simple as just terminating both ends as you would with a cat6 cable. Thanks for replying at such ungodly hours.

You have to spend a bit more on termination as CAT6A outdoor cable has smaller AWG (larger cable). Usual RJ45 connector will not do. You need RJ45 specifically for this outdoor cable. Or best is to use patch panel. A single wall panel is about 15-20 bucks from AMP. The shielded one will cost more, harder to find but worth it.

Cannot DIY unless you have the tool.
    Bzzzzzzzzzzzzt Blitz.

You have to spend a bit more on termination as CAT6A outdoor cable has smaller AWG (larger cable). Usual RJ45 connector will not do. You need RJ45 specifically for this outdoor cable. Or best is to use patch panel. A single wall panel is about 15-20 bucks from AMP. The shielded one will cost more, harder to find but worth it.

Cannot DIY unless you have the tool.
    the tools already cost hundreds

Looking for Quality Corporate IT Services / Products or Solutions?
    http://www.computerservice.sg

Authorised Agent for MyRepublic & M1 Corporate plans
    Official Metro DataVac distributor in Asia & Middle-East

Indeed, the AMP tool for wall jack is about 100 sgd. The one specifically for theRJ45 connector is rather expensive (i think about 400sgd).

After experimenting, the jack comes from L-com. Tried the AMP but contact is less optimum for 6A cable.
    Bzzzzzzzzzzzzt Blitz.

hah? then will a outdoor cat6 suffice?

Yes, outdoor CAT6 will do just fine.
    Bzzzzzzzzzzzzt Blitz.

Quote Originally Posted by blitzio View Post
    Nice, please let us know how it is!
    it is... no doubt, top class.

Quote Originally Posted by b3nnj1 View Post
    it is... no doubt, top class.
    Excellent, I'm really excited and can't wait for my house to be Fibre ready so I can sign up too. Can you show some speed tests? Also can you ping the server ips on my sig and tell me what you're getting?

Thanks!
    OMGeek.net - A gaming community for grown ups in Southeast Asia

Page 75 of 125 FirstFirst ... 2565737475767785 ... LastLast