Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Forget Vista, Microsoft's next OS Vienna coming 2009

Microsoft: Vista is a compromise, a replacement is coming in 2009
    Codenamed Vienna, launch is just two years away

11 February 2007 - Vista is only just out the door, but that hasn’t stopped a Microsoft executive saying that the software company plans to deliver its next operating system in just two years time.

While you're busy waiting for Apple to launch software updates or Microsoft to release its first service patch, the company is actually busy building the next version of its operating system.

Details are still sketchy on the new OS due in 2009 and codenamed “Vienna”, but Ben Fathi, an executive vice president of development said "You can think roughly two, two-and-a-half years is a reasonable time frame that our partners can depend on and can work with."

The comments were made at this year's RSA Conference, a conference on information security, in San Francisco.

Window Vista which was launched at the end of January was over 2 years late and 6 years in the making. The delay has been placed on a number of security issues which forced the company to concentrate on fixing problems in Windows XP rather than developing Vista.

According to Fathi, actual details of what will be new and exciting in the new OS is still being worked out however he said; "We're going to look at a fundamental piece of enabling technology. Maybe its hypervisors [is a virtualization platform that allows multiple operating systems to run on a host computer at the same time], I don't know what it is… Maybe, it's a new user interface paradigm for consumers."

"It's too early for me to talk about it," he added. "But over the next few months I think you're going to start hearing more and more."

Source 1: http://www.pocket-lint.co.uk/news/ne...-by-2009.phtml

Source 2: http://tech.blorge.com/Structure:%20...oming-in-2009/

Source 3: http://www.playfuls.com/news_06143_M...t_In_2009.html

Will Vista turn out to be another Windows ME?

Quote Originally Posted by kidd
    Will Vista turn out to be another Windows ME?
    But at least we know that Vista is better than WinME.

WinME is basically a disastrous release from Microsoft.
    Macbook Lion | X32 Crunchbang Linux | EeePC 900 Ubuntu | Core i5-3450 Desktop Win7 | iPad 2 | iPod Touch 4G | Samsung Galaxy S2

ideal launch 2yrs..

add into another 3 years delay..just nice
    "Now, now, my good man, this is no time for making enemies." -- Voltaire His last words on his death bed when asked by a priest to renounce Satan.

Lamb
    lol...
    and this time they will credit it to trying to fix the bugs in vista...

Quote Originally Posted by Gollum
    ideal launch 2yrs..

add into another 3 years delay..just nice
    so thats total 2 + 3 = 5 years...

also all those cock and bull that the new OS will face extra +4 years... so that give us 5 + 4 = 9 years...

Quote Originally Posted by projectile
    so thats total 2 + 3 = 5 years...

also all those cock and bull that the new OS will face extra +4 years... so that give us 5 + 4 = 9 years...

"Now, now, my good man, this is no time for making enemies." -- Voltaire His last words on his death bed when asked by a priest to renounce Satan.

Quote Originally Posted by Gollum
    HAHA!!! Microsoft Value Product...

Quote Originally Posted by medallion
    But at least we know that Vista is better than WinME.

WinME is basically a disastrous release from Microsoft.
    so so la... for me i still miss WinME badly.
    My Rig
    Intel P4 3.0EGHZ supporting HT technology | MSI Neo865PE | Cosair 2 X 512MB DDR400 CL2.5 dual channel | PNY nVidia FX6600 256mb AGP | Seagate 80GB 7200rpm 2mb cache IDE HDD | Seagate 250GB 7200rpm 16mb cache SATA HDD | Thermaltake cooler | Samsung 931BW 19 inch LCD monitor | Creative Audigy 2 ZS | Altec Lansing 2.1 Speaker | Samsung SATA 20XDVDRW | CoolerMaster Centurion 5

Portables
    Nokia N70 | 1GB Kingston RS-MMC Dual Voltage card | Creative Muvo TXFM 1GB mp3 player | Toshiba 40GB 5400rpm 16mb cache 2.5inch

Quote Originally Posted by longshao
    so so la... for me i still miss WinME badly.
    Wah... then I miss Windows Ver 3.11 alot...

haha...

wah...

Like that ar....

Think i will stick to XP till Vienna is available

2+3=5 yrs... lets wait.. 2012
    Whatever floats your boat...

Quote Originally Posted by projectile
    Wah... then I miss Windows Ver 3.11 alot...

haha...
    I miss Windows 1.0
    Macbook Lion | X32 Crunchbang Linux | EeePC 900 Ubuntu | Core i5-3450 Desktop Win7 | iPad 2 | iPod Touch 4G | Samsung Galaxy S2

夢....
    I miss the snowboarding game in 3.1

Cant seem to outrun that snow creature everytime

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast