Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Next version of Windows: Call it 7. In 3 years time :(

Next version of Windows: Call it 7.
    http://news.com.com/Next+version+of+...l?tag=nefd.top

Microsoft is planning to ship its next major version of Windows--known internally as version "7"--within roughly three years, CNET News.com has learned.

The company discussed Windows 7 on Thursday at a conference for its field sales force in Orlando, Fla., according to sources close to the company.

While the company provided few details, Windows 7, the next client version of the operating system, will be among the steps taken by Microsoft to establish a more predictable release schedule, according to sources. The company plans a more "iterative" process of information disclosure to business customers and partners, sources said.

Windows Vista, the oft-delayed most recent release of Windows, shipped to businesses in November and to consumers in January after more than five years of development. Vista's gestation period was marked by shifting product details as internal priorities changed and problems arose with development.

Like Vista, Windows 7 will ship in consumer and business versions, and in 32-bit and 64-bit versions. The company also confirmed that it is considering a subscription model to complement Windows, but did not provide specifics or a time frame.

Next up on Microsoft's agenda is Service Pack 1 for Windows Vista, which is expected before year's end.

The discussion of Windows' future isn't surprising, given that Microsoft has been criticized by business customers for delays related to Vista. Many business customers pay for Microsoft's software under a license agreement called Software Assurance.

Windows 7 was previously known by the code name Vienna. A Microsoft representative confirmed that Windows 7 is the internal code name for the next client release of Windows. The details were released "as part of our ongoing outreach to enterprise customers and partners, Microsoft has begun sharing plans for how they will continue to deliver value to businesses in the future…Software Assurance customers in particular," a representative said in a statement via e-mail.

"Microsoft is scoping Windows 7 development to a three-year time frame, and then the specific release date will ultimately be determined by meeting the quality bar," according to the representative.

zwtf... then vista how? =

Sigh, we are stuck with Vista for 3 years. I need to resign myself to that fact and just upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by noobiee
    Remember Windows ME? That is how.

Quote Originally Posted by LiM

AMD 8350 | ASrock Fatility | 7970 Ghz Edi | 16GB Kingston HyperX Beast | Seasonic X Gold 750w | FiiO E17 | AudioEngine A2's | Sennheiser PC360 | RT-N56U w/ Padavan Custom.

3 years?????

Don't worry one lah!
    Always say only
    Vista, with all its problems, will be ard for a while more

considering vista.. i will take that as 7 years
    CPU: Intel i7 2600k @ 3.4Ghz (34 x 100)
    Motherboard: MSI P67A-GD55 LGA1155
    Display: MSI 1GB Geforce 560GTX Ti | 24" Samsung BX2450 @ 1080p
    Memory: 2 x 4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 @ 1600Mhz Dual Channel
    Storage: 2 x 500GB West.D Black @ RAID 1 | 2 x 250GB Seagate @ RAID 1
    External: Drobo: 3 x 1TB Seagate + 1 x 1TB West.D Green @ 3TB RAID 5
    Audio: Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty XtremeGamer on Logitech Z623
    Optical: Sony DRU-880S DVD-RW
    PSU: CoolerMaster Realpower Pro 850W
    Enclosure: Antec Nine Hundred
    Controls: Logitech G9x | Logitech G15 | Logitech Extreme 3D Pro | Microsoft Xbox 360 Controller

I am quite skeptical about Microsoft's products after the disappointment from Vista. Hopefully, the introducing of the service pack will give user a better experience with Vista.

Quote Originally Posted by LiM
    so true...

My prediction are that Windows 7 will be based on AI alike and improve more in security, and more stun GUI which will have an impact on user. I suspect .Net will be totally taken over C++ development in many orgnisation

However, will be the same requirement and as memory hog as Vista but that time the memory would be affordable...

XP Pro all the way!!! \m/>.<\m/

-Mobious-

i'll prolly be using my XP Home till this ba unless suddenly every one is saying vista rox after the service pack~

Quote Originally Posted by noobiee
    say 3.. later come out 5 yrs later
    Whatever floats your boat...

Don't think it will be out so fast.

Just remember how long Vista was in Beta, and how everyone thinks it is STILL a beta now lolx.

Abolisher of E|ektronics Lyfeforce's Avatar
    It's another excuse to expand the monopoly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast