Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Windows 7: The Anti-Vista?

Some pundits believe Microsoft is trying to stoke the Windows 7 fires to “build excitement” for its next Windows release. I don’t think this is the case at all. I think Microsoft wants to smother the Windows 7 flames and to dampen expectations as much as possible.

Because Microsoft won’t talk about Windows 7, I can’t quote any Microsoft representatives on what they are planning, thinking and hoping regarding Windows 7.

My opinion? The Softies want Windows 7 to be the anti-Vista. That is not a put-down of Vista, which may not be selling at two times the rate XP did — but which still is selling strongly enough to boost Microsoft’s Q2 FY 2008 client-division revenues by more almost 70 percent.

But Microsoft’s brass do want to avoid a lot of the pitfalls that it encountered with Windows Vista — and who can blame them? They want Windows 7 to be on-time, not polluted by feature-bloat and not overly ambitious. They want the Windows 7 betas to be near-feature-complete the first time that the majority of testers get builds. And most of all, they want Windows 7 to be a predictable, familiar, relatively minor upgrade. Should that take four years (counting from the fall 2006 Vista release-to-manufacturing date) to Microsoft’s stated 2010 Windows 7 ship target to deliver? Probably not; Windows 7 in 2009 looks like a realistic possibility.

All this is not to say the Softies won’t throw in a fun user-interface tweak and a couple nice-to-have improvements to keep Windows 7 from being a total yawn. That said, in the business market, a yawn is preferable to a bunch of incompatible drivers and apps….

http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=1132

im guessing this is the true longhorn...

insane in the mainframe
    microsoft presented a 50mb "big" windows7 which was bootable and had allready html server capabilitys, which is impressive by such a "small" programm (for microsoft standards). My guess is, its not how similar it is to vista or how it looks or feels like something new or something we allready know, but its down to the code which is expected to be very impressive (and at the end offer a new "windows95" era). Its far away of beeing finished for those who think that windows 7 hits the stores this year or the following year... any speculations made are just "speculations", time will tell as what the end result will be

[VRZ]Kababoom
    M$ is fighting a new trend, which is the LPC (Lean PC) without bloated OS. Linux is fighting very hard on this and they are showing progress.

I am not suprised if most of the tech came from Linux.

insane in the mainframe
    lol, i dont think microsoft would use linux technology, as u stated, linux is fighting to bring anything mentionable and the only code of Microsoft I know that is almost "copy & paste" is a network driver if i am correct based on the code of the solaris/unix. But if you know something Microsoft is using from linux, please share it with us.

Quote Originally Posted by ktk View Post
    im guessing this is the true longhorn...
    ditto that

Quote Originally Posted by fleek View Post
    M$ is fighting a new trend, which is the LPC (Lean PC) without bloated OS. Linux is fighting very hard on this and they are showing progress.

I am not suprised if most of the tech came from Linux.
    Depends, if the trend continues, cheaper/smaller/power efficient OS/hardware. Instead of expensive/bigger/power consuming OS/hardware

And ya, forget to say, our electricity bill is rising here and there.

Linux will win on embedded hardware first.
    You know OLPC? That is linux (M$ try to increase the cost by increasing the storage externally to accompany winxp, what does it means? More $ in software and hardware)
    You know Asus Splashtop? That is linux
    You know Google Android? That is linux
    You know Phoenix HyperSpace? That is linux
    You know intel MID? That is linux
    You know motorola phones? That is linux
    You know Singapore Airlines in-flight movies and PC? That is linux
    I forget to mention UMPC market too, more will comes with linux by default(That means they develop their custom apps in linux than windows, making it first class than second class support).
    Little do people know that the most popular search engine, Google runs on linux totally.

There might be people changing umpc frequently too. Just like handphone. Interesting ...

High power gaming, maybe 1000W PC might be luxury to some in near future as electricity rises. Low power optimised OpenGL games might come instead and becomes popular also.

network driver? Almost all the OS has tcp/ip, as it originated from BSD. Cos of BSD license they can use, and close source it. If they use linux code, they need to open source it cos of GPL license.
    Last edited by BaLtO; Jan 26th, 08 at 09:13 AM.

FYI, this is not windows 7.

It is windows 6.1

correction..... it is windows 7 version 6.1

come on... let us have a nice windows to look forward to... not the current crappy vista..
    Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.40GHz @ 3258MHz | BTF-90 | Gigabyte GA-965P DS-3 | Thermaltake Extreme Spirit II | Leadtek 8800GTS 512MB @ 730/1836/1944 (MSI OC Speeds) | Auzentech X-Meridian 7.1 + 3 x LM4562NA | A-Data DDR2-800 2 x 1.0GB Dual Channel @ 724MHz | Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 250GB 16MB x 2 | Sony DRU-820A | Thermaltake Armour (Black) | Verudium Power VortexHE 600W | Viewsonic 22" VX2235WM | Logitech X-540 5.1 | Sennheiser HD555 | Microsoft Wireless Laser Mouse 6000 | Logitech G15 | Razer eXactmat

I prefer a crappy windoze 7 because winxp is good enough.

lol in the pic sure looks like shista
    Leica M10/6M|15 Voigtlander vIII|35 FLE|35mm Summicron v1 8 element germany|50mm Noct F1 E58|Zeiss 50 F2|

AK JR| HD800 | IE800

Quote Originally Posted by Q00 View Post
    correction..... it is windows 7 version 6.1
    no, thats vista, vista is windows 6. its just modded to show "Windows 7"
    bad fake...

It sure looks very similar to Vista.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast