Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

i felt i was being [email protected]

Hey guys, im new to this forum and this is my first time posting. Posting my experience since it looks a honest place to share what im going through right now.

Last 3 days, went funan with my parents intending to buy a dslr. After surveying through several shops asking about their price of the entry level dslr, we stopped and stayed at the shop located on the 2nd floor(im gonna disclose the shop name) near to the escalator.

Lucas, the on attended to us said the price of the d3100 was $695 and the 1100d was about $720 or so. Quite cheap right. Then we tested out the dslr and stuff. I've did my research before hand regarding this 2 dslr and honesty I preferred the d3100 cause many people said it was better. But then while me and my mom was discussing, he then intro us another camera which is the Nikon J1.

He compared the focus between the j1 and the dslr and the j1 autofocus was so much faster. That impressed me. He said it cost $780. Abit costly but he said it was better than this two dslr.

I then asked my mom, 'ma, you wanna get the dslr or the other one.'
    and then Lucas said 'this 3 cameras are all dslr'.

In my mind, a small less bulky thing is also a dslr? Hmm'

To cut it short. I told him I wanted the j1 so he said ok, but then there's a 7% Gst that I have to pay. We were startled. We wanted to go off but then he said he will drop off the gst.

Ok. Bought it. Went home, read some reviews and realized its not a dslr. It was a compact camera. Since I've just had it less for a day, i returned back the next day hoping to get an exchange. Unfortunately, that Lucas guy wasn't working and his colleagues asked me to come back the other day.

So i came back the next day, told him that this is not what i wanted. I told him that the j1 is not a dslr. He insisted it was a dslr just because you change the lens.
    -.-
    i wanted an exchange. He said ok. But then he told me that im gonna lose 20% of the sum i paid due to REFURBISHING. In the end he said i have to pay an extra 129$ just to exchange my j1 which cost 780$ to a d3100 which cost 695$. WAHPIANG EHHHHH!!!! I asked him to show me black and white of the 20% refurbishment and he said he don't have it. Dafuqqqqq!! It seems like he's trying to con me more money.

The thing is now, he LIED to me saying that the j1 was a dslr. Ok fine. I should have did my research before buying anything. But I was lured into buying that thing. And I googled their shop name and they seemed to have some tension going on before this and im not the first person that experienced it.

any help on this? I feel really terrible because my mom paid for it and knowing that it's not a dslr just saddens her.

Sorry bout the typo errors. Used my phone to type.

Look! Flying Pucks!

Go again, take video this time and Stomp it lor...

Why wait till genna scammed then post on forum? Why never come to forum to find out before going to buy?

Too many of such post already...
    Kami = 紙 (Paper)
    Kami != 神 (God)

At Funan SLR-REVOLUTION is one good reliable photo shop. J1 seliing only $557.. TK-Photois another good one.
    Last edited by RichardCSC; Jul 5th, 12 at 11:25 PM.

Btw TS did not indicate which shop he's been to. In Funan 2nd level, there are a few camera shop, one imo is bogus, another is expensive. So which one is it?
    Kami = 紙 (Paper)
    Kami != 神 (God)

SLR-R is at level 4 is the one I visited most frequent. Think price is fair and service is good. TK is at level 2. Their price wise, SLR is better..
    Last edited by RichardCSC; Jul 5th, 12 at 11:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by scammed View Post
    -.-
    i wanted an exchange. He said ok. But then he told me that im gonna lose 20% of the sum i paid due to REFURBISHING. In the end he said i have to pay an extra 129$ just to exchange my j1 which cost 780$ to a d3100 which cost 695$. WAHPIANG EHHHHH!!!! I asked him to show me black and white of the 20% refurbishment and he said he don't have it. Dafuqqqqq!! It seems like he's trying to con me more money.

The thing is now, he LIED to me saying that the j1 was a dslr. Ok fine. I should have did my research before buying anything. But I was lured into buying that thing. And I googled their shop name and they seemed to have some tension going on before this and im not the first person that experienced it.
    I hope you can resolve this without paying any more. But in brutal honesty, the staff at the shop could just have been negligently misrepresenting the item and you did agree to purchase it at that price.

The 20% fee could be considered as a restocking fee, which is common with electronic components. Unless there is some sort of exchange policy for the shop, I can see little reason to fault them.

Cause that's how I roll

First of all, TS doesn't even know what is a DSLR. If you know the definition of DSLR, 1 look and you will know.

Probably seller have no idea too, think can change lens means DSLR, same goes to TS, takes 2 hands to clap.

Can research which DSLR to buy but cannot research which shop to go? IMO, TS deserves it. This case is much less severe than those in SLS, the shop has my benefit of doubt because some of my friends also have the perception that can change lens means DSLR.

The shop has no obligation to let you change.

Sorry if I sound harsh.

If seller is not knowledgable enough, he should not be selling camera equipment. Get out of the shop. This is any how sell. Do you think it is right?

This comes back to quality service. If he does not know so don't anyhow sell.

Have narrowed down to two shops. S or A? ? ? ?
    Last edited by RichardCSC; Jul 5th, 12 at 11:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardCSC View Post
    If seller is not knowledgable enough, he should not be selling camera equipment. Get out of the shop. This is any how sell. Do you think it is right?

This comes back to quality service. If he does not know so don't anyhow sell.

Have narrowed down to two shops. S or A? ? ? ?
    It's common for sales person not to be knowledgeable. Buying camera, laptop, electronics and cars, I'll never ask a sales person for product info or recommendation. Research both info and price before going to the shop and insist on what I want. If no stock, go to next shop.

the nikon J1 is a mirrorless or micro 4/3 camera, in short a compact size dslr.
    TS should have done some reading up at clubsnap forum or ar least from dpreview before shopping for a camera.

the only 2 shops i recommend in funan is either SLR revolution and john 3.16, personally prefer slr revolution due to their pricing.

obviously can see that Nikon J1 is not the DSLR u wan...
    why u buy ??
    or u have no idea what is DSLR ?
    Humble Rig
    I7-2.6K ROG P67 M4E OC 4.6Ghz | 4 x 2GB Dominator | EVGA FTW 680 SLI | 128 CrucialM4 | Corsair GS 480 | 1TB Seagate | Xonar Xense-PC350 | TJ07 | Corsair AX1200W |SP2500 | DUCKY White-BROWN | Razer MAMBA 4G | Gothialius+Ozone | Razer Onza BF3|
    System Watercool by EK | XSPC | Bitspower | Koolance

NEX 6 24F1.8 | 1670Z
    “I’m not gonna die in a hospital where the nurses aren’t even HOT.”
    Dean Whinchester

Thanks for the responses guys.

Firstly, I was already on the verge of getting either the 1100d or d3100 but sekali, that salesman INTRO me the j1 and HE SAID it was a DSLR.

I only knew the j1 wasn't a dslr after I bought it and looked at the review. Obviously the salesman hadn't did his homework. And its the same as someone buying duckrice and the vendor giving him chicken rice.

Secondly, compared to sls and funan, funan obviously looked like a more reliable place to buy electronic goods mah.

Thirdly, I've learnt my mistakes. I just hope that no one would fall into a similar trap like I do. And I won't go back to that shop in the middle of the 2 escalators starting with letter B.

Forth, ill just stick to the camera. Bochap mahhh.

Once again, appreciate the response given. Will be much much more observant next time.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast