Arrow [FOR AWARENESS] Beware of Fake SG Mobile Phone Sellers Trying to Scam your $$$$

Just thought I would like to raise awareness on the rise of overseas $$$ scammers (particularly from the Philippines and they operate in syndicates and their con-tactics are getting more advanced lately) using SG prepaid SIM cards and posing as locals and asking for ppl to contact them via Whatsapp only.

Remember, when someone specifically states in their ad to ONLY WHATSAPP them, its most likely a Scam. You will find the number uncontactable when you try to SMS them or call them because they are using SG Prepaid SIMs hooked up via WIFI on Whatsapp to maintain contact.

It appears the old tactic of asking for $$$ thru email and sending copy of Singapore ICs / Driving Licences to prove they are genuine sellers no longer works, and they decided to step up their game. Now they have resorted to creating Bogus websites posing as Singapore mobile dealers, selling gadgets and mobile phones with delivery service and even Customer service via Whatsapp. You can see how determined they are to try to con your $$$ instead of getting a job.

Some bogus companies that I spotted - singmobiletech and www.SgElect.com and Holy Soul Electronics Pte Ltd. And they are flooding their ads on HWZ, Carousell and Gumtree posing as shop dealers or as end users in need of cash and urgent to sell. And btw, many of the numbers you see on these ads telling you to whatsapp them are all traced to the companies I stated above, which means its a whole syndicate of them out there trying ways and means to cheat your $$$.

Besides posing as individual sellers, they also masquerade as legitimate resellers, advertising a range of products. Sometimes their website is accessible, and sometimes it disappears. They even list their address at common locations like shopping malls e.g. Changi City Point, Raffles Clifford Centre but with NO unit address if you actually observe well enough. A check with Singapore's business registry ACRA also shows these businesses do not exist, nor are they tenants in the addresses they stated.

Best part, I tried to contact one of them and pretended to be interested to test the water. The person over Whatsapp tried to act professional and even said they would provide the delivery details and shipping number. When I asked to provide a photo of the actual product, the person sent me a photo which was obviously taken from Google search.

Just like to remind folks here, the minute you transfer the money to them, your $$$ is as good as gone, as the crooks are clearly exploiting SG's consumer laws that have no power to reclaim your loss nor prosecute the ones who scammed you even if they are based in SG. Even with a Police report, you will end up being taichi-ed here and there and referred only to agencies like CASE and Small Claims Tribunal which is a waste of time. Even if you can provide the bank account number used to scam you, the authorities will not do anything much to help you.

For sums below $2500 on consumer disputes, all are referred to Small Claims which do not enforce legal action against the criminals except wasting a few weeks of your time waiting, only to have the court registrar grant you the compensation award since the scammers wont turn up to court, and then you (yourself) have to locate the scammers' address, which means its as good as nothing since the scammers are either based overseas or untraceable.
    Last edited by Milleniamania; Oct 21st, 14 at 01:44 AM.
    " すべての人間は、彼らの究極の裁きを受けるときに対等の立場だ。唯一の最も強力な、文を渡すために選ばれています。' - ヴァルファズル

can we request admin to remove the posting and ban the account and IP?

Republic of Overclockers
    u can try reporting the post to the admin/mods using the report button. for more info, look at this sticky post in the garage forums: http://forums.vr-zone.com/singapore-...oing-scam.html.

however, do take note that vr forums and the admin/mods are not responsible for a person's stupidity if they are dumb enuff to transfer. even if the account and ip is banned, they will just come back again with another email address and ip. it has been a losing battle against these types of jokers from what i heard.

therefore, it is up to the users to police the place and report fishy scam posts to the admin/mods to determine if it is a scam and then the post will be deleted if it is found to be a scam.

cheating is a seizable offence
    Personal Productivity
    - Acer S7
    - Sony Xperia V

Co-location Servers
    - Dell R200, Ubuntu 10.04 LTS
    - HP DL360G3, Ubuntu 10.04 LTS
    - HP DL360G4, Server 2K3

wa. what people will do to earn money... thanks for alerting the public. but should alert the police!

what can the police do???? i doubt they are willing to take on this cases.. unless u really got cheated.. if you didnt bite the bait then there isnt any victim hence no case to go on...

well, I might be the victim..now I want to laugh myself because I have been doing online shopping for years from US, CN, JP, KR, and quite frequent in SG but this is the 1st time I got cheated. I guess I just overlooked the risk of dealing with strangers.

http://forums.vr-zone.com/singapore-...-2-sealed.html

Quote Originally Posted by jacksun View Post
    well, I might be the victim..now I want to laugh myself because I have been doing online shopping for years from US, CN, JP, KR, and quite frequent in SG but this is the 1st time I got cheated. I guess I just overlooked the risk of dealing with strangers.

http://forums.vr-zone.com/singapore-...-2-sealed.html
    I can't believe someone actually fell for such a scam. I dunno whether to laugh at or to sympathize with you. The biggest mistake is contacting them via whatsapp and failing to realise the address they provided is non-valid?

The number is there, you could have just rang them up to enquire. If the number is unavailable while available only via whatsapp then something is clearly wrong. Common sense - If they have a shop address, why would they bother to waste postage $$$ to deliver the item to you? As stated on their website - 304 Orchard Road is actually Lucky Plaza. Notice they dun even have a unit address? Lol.

Anyway not to be confused with Elite Gadgets Technical Communications LLP. 304 ORCHARD ROAD #B1-79 LUCKY PLAZA Singapore 238863 - https://companyregister.sg/company/e...ons-llp/412923

The scammers used a valid registered SG company's BRN and address to pose as themselves. Elitez Gadgets in lucky plaza sells games and tech toys. I doubt the company is even aware someone is posing as them to operate a scam business website.
    " すべての人間は、彼らの究極の裁きを受けるときに対等の立場だ。唯一の最も強力な、文を渡すために選ばれています。' - ヴァルファズル

up for the thread, i still found many scammer active in vrzone.

Hey guys, what if I have been scam for an amount of $1250 by these scumbags E-MobileGadget. The case has been reported to Police. I really wanted to punch his bloody face. Is there any chance i will get back the money?
    Last edited by SweetRevenger; May 16th, 17 at 07:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SweetRevenger View Post
    Hey guys, what if I have been scam for an amount of $1250 by these scumbags E-MobileGadget. The case has been reported to Police. I really wanted to punch his bloody face. Is there any chance i will get back the money?
    This scammer have their online shop E-mobilegadget.com. and currently still active to scam ppls. How the hell this scammer haven't been caught yet? Is out Singapore police force think this is small fly cannot meet their kpi?
    mY RiG:
    CPU:InTeL C0R3 2 quAD 9450 2.66Ghz yoRkFi3LD co0lEd By GemInI II witH 2XCM 120 Led fanS.
    MoBo:AsUS X48 RamPage ForMuLa ROG
    MEmoRy:[email protected] PC6400 800Mhz 4096MB 4-4-4-12
    GraPhiC CArD:SaPpHiR3 Hd 4870 1024MB Sil3NT efFiciEncY xFir3
    Storage:[email protected] 500GB 7200RpM & 250GB 7200RpM
    SoUnD:CreAtIVE AUdIgy 2 Zs, MEGAWORKS THX 550
    OptIonAl DrIvE:BenQ DVDrW ROM 1640
    [email protected]:[email protected] M690 8X120CM FAnS
    PsU:ThErmAltAke ToUghPoweR [email protected] 750W
    InPuT DevIc3:[email protected] Copp3rHeaD/Saitek Cyborg Keyboard
    ouTpUT DevIc3:SAmSung SynCMasTEr T220 22'inCh LCd moNitoR
    HanDhEld:SonY PsP X3 | NoKiA N93i - N95 8Gb - N96 - N97| TiSsoT T-toucH tiTaniuM
    ReCent BoughT:TaMiYa RC taNk 1/16 PershIng M26
    GoIng TO get SOon:TamIya RC tanK 1/16 LeopaRd A6