Sapphire x700, Samsung 940BW, Windows XP SP2 and graphic drivers=black screen

Hello guys,
    I have huge problem and I hope you will help me to solve it

my rig is

ASUS A8N-E 1010 bios
    Sapphire ATi Radeon x700 PCIe x16 (400/500, no OC no volt mods)
    1024MB PQI 3-4-4-8 [email protected] (2.65V)
    AMD Athlon64 3200+ ([email protected] 1.41V real, 1.375V in bios)
    120GB SATA 7200.7 Seagate
    Seasonic S-12 380W (22A/21A/10+15A +3V/+5V/+12V)
    TechniSAT SkyStar 2 2.6d
    Samsung SyncMaster 940BW connected via DVI (native resolution [email protected])

GPU is cooled by Zalman VF700 AlCu
    CPU is colled by modded Arctic Cooling Freezer64 PRO (installed 120mm Arctic Cooling fan instead of default 92mm)
    northbridge is cooled by Zalman nb47j (in a month´s time thermalright hr-05 sli is arriving )
    120mm Thermaltake A2029 as an intake fan
    Arctic Cooling 120mm used to be an outtake fan but now it is installed on freezer
    case is open

so and now I am going to try to explain my problem
    few weeks earlier my sceen started flashing
    Windows XP SP2 installed, BIONC running, but no 3D load
    I was working and LCD displayed what it should have displayed and then suddenly a black screen for a short time was displayed and then again it displayed my desktop as before
    LCD was flashing until it went black and was detecting sources of video signal (Analog/Digital)
    so I connected my 15" old CRT and both monitors were flashing at the same time so I think it is not LCD or cable related problem
    I don´t know if I explained it good enough so here is video captured by phone (I am sorry for low resolution but it is good enough to ilustrate my problem)
    I tried different drivers (6.4, 6.5, 6.7, 6.9, 7.1, 7.4, Catalyst, NGO, Omega) but it didn´t solve my problem
    When I power up my PC bios screen is displayed everytime and without errors (artifacts), graphic card sends signal into LCD and LCD always detects source of signal as Digital (connected via DVI so it is OK)
    So if the LCD displays bios and other loading screens OK I hope it is not a hardware (VGA) related problem

Everything works fine until Windows is loaded. Then there should be displayed Welcome screen and I should see my desktop, but when it comes to showing Welcome screen, LCD starts to detecting sources of video signals (Analog/Digital) and then it turns itself into Stand-By mode, but computer continues loading process and I can hear welcome "song".
    This video show exactly what is happening

Firstly I thought it could be caused by overheating even when system only idles.
    I remounted Zalman VF700 AlCu with new thermal paste (Arctic Silver Ceramique) and then I put it into slot again.
    Temperature was at about 30°C in 2D with fan running at 100% but it didn´t solve my problem.
    Second very common advice is to demount it from case, remove dust and then mount it back into case.
    So I demounted it, removed dust, aplied new thermal paste onto CPU, northbridge and even voltage regulator around CPU socket (mosfets) and mounted it into case, but it didn´t solve my problem.

So I decided to boot using Safe mode
    It worked fine with windows XP default VGA driver.
    I rebooted to Standard mode with installed VGA drivers and black screen was the only thing displayed on LCD (as I mentioned above, bios and load screens were dispalyed OK)
    So reboot into Safe mode and I uninstalled ATi Display drivers.
    Reboot into standard mode and it worked fine with Windows XP default VGA driver.
    I tried lot of different VGA drivers but it was till the same.
    So I decided to reinstall Windows XP SP2. Firstly without formatting HDD (lot of data without backup) but it didn´t solve my problem.
    I made backup and did full format and then installed Windows XP SP2 but even this didn´t help.
    I installed Catalyst and after reboot only black screen, removed catalyst in safe mode and it worked fine again
    so I worked out that it could posiibly be a driver related problem, but it used to work fine with the same drivers and the same HW configuration at least a year long.

On another partition I had Windows XP x64 SP2 with installed catalyst drivers (6.7)
    I booted and it was displaying everything corrcetly even with drivers.
    I wasn´t testing it very long but 5 reboots and it worked fine so I think it is not Hardware problem, or at least I hope so.
    Graphic card doesn´t overheat and screen is not corrupted (artifacts)

So to sum it up
    It works fine with no VGA driver installed in XP SP2 32bit OS
    I works fine with VGA driver installed in XP x64 SP2 64bit OS
    It doesn´t work fine with VGA driver installed in XP SP2 32bit OS

The other thing I worked out is that this flashing could be caused by CLI.exe or the other 2 ati***.exe processes
    http://www.laboratorium.ic.cz/proble...20debilita.PNG

If I kill those 2 ati***.exe processes, LCD stops flashing at the same time but sometimes it flashes once again after some time
    But it is hard to kill processes when you are blind (black screen)

VGA has warranty I think at least 5 months but there could be problem with proving what is wrong.
    It worked fine last month but it got corrupted last Thursday
    So it the technician puts it ino PC and it boots fine, my claim would not be accepted.

I inserted Voodo3 2000 PCI just for a try and it worked OK but with windows drivers and so does my sapphire too.

I have no other PC to try VGA in and no other VGA to try it in my MoBo

I am sorry for a bit longer post but I wanted to explain it correctly
    And I am sorry for my English too.

Thanks for your replies

IIRC you can disable the auto startup of the 2 ati processes.

Just go to 'Run', type in 'services.msc' and press enter.
    In the window that appears, find the 2 ati processes (one is the hotkey poller and the other ati smart), go to properties and set them to "disabled".

Try that first and see if it fixes your problem.

so first of all I have to update new informations that I forgot to mention or I wasn´t sure at all

so I got XP x64 fixed (ntoskrnl.exe corrupted) and after loading LCD started flashing as 32bit XP
    I killed ati processes and it worked fine

Quote Originally Posted by gratelemming
    IIRC you can disable the auto startup of the 2 ati processes.

Just go to 'Run', type in 'services.msc' and press enter.
    In the window that appears, find the 2 ati processes (one is the hotkey poller and the other ati smart), go to properties and set them to "disabled".

Try that first and see if it fixes your problem.
    thank you
    that it I think the same as I did
    I installed Catalyst 7.1 with controll panel
    start-run-"msconfig" and there I disabled 2 processes and 2 services refering to ATI

reboot, and I was praying to load it with screen displaying desktop

It displayed desktop without flashing and with drivers

Thank God and you of course

I will be testing it and if something strange happens againt I will inform you
    for now it looks like solved but unfortunately I don´t believe it is fixed.
    It would be very easy, and I am pesimistic about it

so new info

PC was running 8 hours today
    surfing on internet, burning CDs and DVDs and watching films
    no problem at all, everything worked as it should

I went out and I did not shut down the system but I pressed Power saving (Hibernation)(S3) mode (I don´t have English XP but I hope I named it correctly - the left button when you click Start-Shut down)
    Then I powered up the system and in few seconds of seeing desktop LCD went black (without flashing)
    reset and it is working OK
    almost all drivers installed, only ACPI driver is missing

I will keep this topic updated

You can get the ACPI driver with the AMD cool 'n' quiet driver here.

Good luck with your troubleshooting.

Sapphire Hybrid ATI RADEON™ X700 ? is this the card ? Should be since its the only x700 card i see. Well there is a video bios update on Sapphire site for the card. Hope it solves the issue.
    http://www.sapphiretech.com/sr/suppo...s_viewlist.php
    Last edited by Ar3s; May 24th, 07 at 11:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ar3s
    Sapphire Hybrid ATI RADEON™ X700 ? is this the card ? Should be since its the only x700 card i see. Well there is a video bios update on Sapphire site for the card. Hope it solves the issue.
    http://www.sapphiretech.com/sr/suppo...s_viewlist.php
    no it is not that VGA
    it is just Sapphire ATi Radeon x700 PCIe
    it is not mentioned on sapphiretech web site
    here it is in the e-shop http://www.czechcomputer.cz/product....calelang=en_US
    and here are photos

http://www.laboratorium.ic.cz/foto/VGA/back/1b.jpg
    http://www.laboratorium.ic.cz/foto/VGA/front/1f.jpg
    and here are many shots that I made
    so I was trying and testing and the conclusion
    I used it in PCIe x16 and it usually needed 1 or 2 resets to start without black screen
    sometimes moving the mouse helped (no reset needed) sometimes giving the system 10minutes pause after windows was loaded (no reset needed) and sometimes I had to reset it 5 times to be able to work on PC

so I put VGA into PCIe x4 and I thought it is solved until today
    I came home after 1 day during which PC was hibernating/power saving mode and screen went black
    after one reset it worked fine

but once it works OK pc was able to run at least 20 hours without black screen

and I flashed newer bios to my MoBo

any other suggestions?
    Last edited by jcdenton12; Jun 4th, 07 at 01:45 AM.

I put VGA into PCI-e x4 slot on my motherboard and the screen went almost everytime black after powering the system up (ATI services disabled)
    sometimes moving with mouse helped, but I don´t know whether it was luck or it has something to do with it

I wanted to game a bit so I put it back into PCI-e x16, the screen went almost everytime blank but now moving the mouse did nothing

I uninstalled ATI Catalyst drivers in safe mode using ATI uninstaller application
    After restart it worked fine with default Windows XP drivers
    I tried to install Catalyst 6.3 6.5 6.7 but the screen went blank before the installation was completed (screen was black and the I heard sound that told me that it is installed fine)
    I tried to install Catalyst 6.12 and the screen went black after installing Sapphire ATi Radeon Secondary or after restart
    Today even 6.12 behaved as 6.3 6.5 and 6.7, no succes

Almost the same happend in Windows XP x64 so I thought Damn drivers, it worked in past with exactly same drivers (stored on HDD). Is it really driver related prolem?

I disconected my Samsung LCD and plugged an old 15" CRT monitor.
    Powered up and it worked, even the resolution (1440x900) was set and that 15" CRT displayed it correctly

I will give it a bit more testing but VGA seems to work OK, chipset is cooled with Thermalright hr-05 SLI so no overheating, VGA is idling so no overheating (also in games it works correctly), DVI cable was changed so the only thing that could be a problem seems to be that Samsung LCD

I will test my theory by using old 15" CRT for a while and then I´ll try to change my Samsung LCD with father´s that seems to work OK

any suggestions are welcome
    I´ll keep it updated
    Thanks

LOl exact problem with my friends's x550
    he has another radeon that went black screen after booting windows.

then his lcd cant detect signal.

But after he format his pc it's ok again.

Weird.

iTrack GPS Vehicle Tracking

GPS Tracking, GPS Vehicle Tracking, GPS Fleet Tracking, Singapore

ViewQwest Referral Name: PM me (S$25 Rebate off first month)

I did format many times
    yes few days it was OK
    but only few days (I can´t remember how many, but not more than 2 )

my PC doesn´t need to format HDD
    but there is some problem probably with LCD
    5 reboots with CRT and no black screen, connected to DVI (via DVI 2 Dsub reduction)
    so VGA seems to be ok fortunatelly
    I´ll test another Samsung on my PC and my Samsung on another PC
    then maybe RMA

any suggestions?

er all i can think of is resolution
    The Retired Extreme Overclocker

yes, that was what I was thinking about, too
    resolution and refresh rate
    but resolution is/was 1440x900 - default, I can not set anything above because LCD driver limits me not to damage LCD
    and it also happens after VGA driver installation (resolution that time is 640x480 or 1024x768, with windows driver I can´t set widescreen resolutions so I set lower non-wide resolutions)
    and refresh rate is 60Hz - again the default

I don´t know what could be wrong

Quote Originally Posted by kohroyston
    LOl exact problem with my friends's x550
    he has another radeon that went black screen after booting windows.

then his lcd cant detect signal.

But after he format his pc it's ok again.

Weird.
    maybe your friend has the same problem as I have
    could you write his PC specifications please?

I swapped my Samsung 940BW with my father´s one.
    Mine worked correctly on his PC.
    His Samsung 940BW was working correctly on his PC, I plugged it to my PC and absolutely the same situation happened.

So I hope it has really something to do with something I installed.
    I am really out of ideas what could it be caused by.

LCD seems to be OK (changed with father´s one that is working fine)
    VGA seems to be OK (connected old CRT monitor to DVI output via reduction and it worked fine)
    the only difference was that LCD got drivers and CRT was generic display.
    so maybe really a software fault

and now to update this "going - black" a bit
    sometimes it goes black immediatelly after finishing loading windows (I don´t see Log in screen where I select which account to log in)
    sometimes I log in normally and it goes black while loading icons and sometimes after maybe 30 seconds (I connect to Internet using my Huawei E220 7.2Mbps modem, launch Opera and then it goes black)
    but once it doesn´t go black after loading windows, it doesn´t go black until system is shut down (2 days testing)

any ideas?
    is there anything that can be done (instead of fresh install?)

thank you for your replies
    Last edited by jcdenton12; Jun 28th, 07 at 08:29 PM.

I was trying to remove some worms from my windows XP but I killed it so I installed windows 2000 Professional SP4
    I used factory drivers (that came on CDs with components)
    I installed Catalyst 5.8 and nForce drivers (I don´t know version but they were at least 1.5 year old)
    after restart system worked fine until it crashed (hard reset, HDD had to start rotating again)
    so I disabled automatic restart and was working until it crashed again (again hard reset)
    I thought that something is screwed, I´ll try to fix it with new chipset drivers

THAT WAS A BIG MISTAKE

I used nForce 6.86 for windows 2k/XP, the same drivers I used in my XP
    and after restart it happened
    The same chipset drivers, the same "going - black" happened
    Catalyst 5.8 still installed.

It looks like it is caused by chipset drivers instead of graphic drivers.
    and I think it is the reason why all Catalyst I used did not work correctly
    Because I was all the time using that nForce 6.86 drivers

really interesting, isn´t it?
    any suggestions?

but then one man recommanded me to try it via Dsub
    it worked excellent

If LCD is connected via DSub it works great using newest drivers without going black
    why?
    Last edited by jcdenton12; Jun 29th, 07 at 02:39 AM.

so I used google and I found this
    http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show...t=82982&page=2
    http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/...hp/t35365.html
    http://www.rage3d.com/board/archive/...-33814077.html
    http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=721578
    http://forums.avault.com/archive/index.php/t-8463.html
    http://www.tecchannel.de/forum/showthread.php?t=5432

they have exactly the same problem as I have

different graphic cards
    different LCD monitors
    the only thing they have the same is the way they connect their LCD monitors: using DVI

same problem here
    using analog: no problem
    using DVI: problem
    they also mention that they RMA their LCD and for example one man got one working, but 4 he got before had same problems

could you help me to fing arguments for RMA because
    it works using analog on my PC
    it works using digital on father´s PC
    my VGA works fine with another LCD connected via DVI

thanks