Poll: I have managed to switch my PC from IDE to AHCI mode after understanding this guide

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I think Macclipper already says that it is meant for advanced windows user.
    So there is no need for 2 hardware profiles.
    The methods that he wrote is straight to the point. I don see a need to add any.

Main Rig: CPU: Intel E2180 @3.4GHz | HSF: Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme + Acryan 120mm fan |Mobo: Gigabyte P35-DS3R | RAM: Crcual Ballistix Tracer PC2-6400 2x1GB | HDD: Western Digital 320GB AAKS | Samsung 500GB Sata |GFX: Asus 8800GT 512MB Glaciator Fansink Edition | Casing: Silverstone TJ09BW | PSU: Corsair HX620 Modular PSU | Monitor: Dell 2407WFP | Speaker: Altec Lansing FX4021
    Spare Rig: CPU: AMD AM2 X2 4600+ | Mobo: Asus M2NPV-VM | RAM: 2x 1GB KVR | HDD: Seagate 320 GB, Seagate 160GB GB | Casing: CM Centurion 534+| PSU: Acbel PowerLCD 550W PSU
    Game Console | Microsoft Xbox360 | Sony PSP | Sony PS2 |

Various sites state that the plain ICH9 does not have AHCI support in XP but has in Vista.
    (so ASUS took alway the AHCI support for ICH9 in the latest BIOS.)

ACHI for ICH9R is supported in XP and Vista.

Too bad that I've updated my bios already.

i cannot make it right with TA690G.
    Current Slim Down: Intel NUC D34010WYKH : i3-4010U
    Micron 2x4GB DDR3L-1600
    Crucial M500 256GB mSATA
    Intel® Centrino® Advanced-N 6235
    Seagate M9 SpinPoint ST2000LM003 2TB (9.5MM)
    ASUS Xonar U3
    Audioengine P4 + N22
    Dell U2414H x 2

Quote Originally Posted by zmwang View Post
    i cannot make it right with TA690G.
    what went wrong?

Real World Overclocking! MacClipper's Avatar
    Somehow I am getting the feeling that the 2 who failed are both using non-Intel setups, hmm. Too bad I am too lazy to drag out my DFI Ultra D to test out and consider doing non-Intel system writeups so boh example drivers and what nots for them.
    'He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose' - Jim Elliot

Click on the pic to download a free pdf sample of the bestselling book!
    Science the new God - till now, Science has not been able to determine precisely even the size of the universe.
    By what yardstick then does Science hope to use in measuring the Creator of the universe? Think again.

★ Asrock-Asus | FX-9590 | Corsair Vgn Pro | NiCu HK 3.0-GTX360 | Vapor-X 280X | Corsair RM1000 ★

My 24/7 Real World Overclocking! Blog

Quote Originally Posted by MacClipper View Post
    Somehow I am getting the feeling that the 2 who failed are both using non-Intel setups, hmm. Too bad I am too lazy to drag out my DFI Ultra D to test out and consider doing non-Intel system writeups so boh example drivers and what nots for them.
    This only works on ICH9R SouthBridge and not ICH9 on *some* P35 boards, am I right to say?

Have a MSI P35Neo that doesn't have any option in bios that displays the word "AHCI" at all, but it has a Jmicron IDE/SATA combo controller together with the native ICH9 though.

I think the option has to come from being enabled in bios...
    Last edited by wherehouse; Oct 21st, 07 at 10:51 PM.
    Irritating.... Irritating.

Real World Overclocking! MacClipper's Avatar
    I am not too sure about your MSI mobo cos I never liked their mobos esp. the poor BIOS quality - a pity with such a good local distri (but damn ulu place). I did try installing AHCI on a GA-G33M-DS2R (ICH9R) with method 2 and it worked well.

So you got to wait for others to help you out here.
    'He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose' - Jim Elliot

Click on the pic to download a free pdf sample of the bestselling book!
    Science the new God - till now, Science has not been able to determine precisely even the size of the universe.
    By what yardstick then does Science hope to use in measuring the Creator of the universe? Think again.

★ Asrock-Asus | FX-9590 | Corsair Vgn Pro | NiCu HK 3.0-GTX360 | Vapor-X 280X | Corsair RM1000 ★

My 24/7 Real World Overclocking! Blog

Quote Originally Posted by MacClipper View Post
    I am not too sure about your MSI mobo cos I never liked their mobos esp. the poor BIOS quality - a pity with such a good local distri (but damn ulu place). I did try installing AHCI on a GA-G33M-DS2R (ICH9R) with method 2 and it worked well.

So you got to wait for others to help you out here.
    No problems. I conclude that the BIOS must have that option enabled before any reconfiguration can be done to change to AHCI mode through windows, on a ICH9 (non-R) on that board.

But interestingly, HDTUNE shows :
    SUPPORTED ATA133 (UDMA6)
    ACTIVE at ATA100 (UDMA5)
    STANDARD at SATA2 (ATA7)

Lol... underperforming

Smile

This really works!

Thank you Uncle MacClipper!

using AHCI , but I used a totally different method ( registry hacking ) lol

Quote Originally Posted by XTimX View Post
    using AHCI , but I used a totally different method ( registry hacking ) lol
    Can highlight what registry settings u changed?

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\CriticalDeviceDatabase\pci#ven_8086&dev_2922&cc_0106]
    "Service"="iaStor"
    "ClassGUID"="{4D36E96A-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\iaStor]
    "Type"=dword:00000001
    "Start"=dword:00000000
    "Group"="SCSI miniport"
    "ErrorControl"=dword:00000001
    "ImagePath"="system32\\drivers\\iaStor.sys"
    "tag"=dword:00000019
    "DisplayName"="Intel AHCI Controller"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\iaStor\Parameters]
    "queuePriorityEnable"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\iaStor\Enum]
    "0"="PCI\\VEN_8086&DEV_2922&SUBSYS_B0051458&REV_02\\3&13c0b0c5&0&FA"
    "Count"=dword:00000001
    "NextInstance"=dword:00000001

but seriously , don't do it...unless your familiar with windows and stuff..AHCI also not much benefits if you ask me

I just did it to make windows look good thats all

besides registry hacking you have to do command line switches to extract the driver as well

Quote Originally Posted by XTimX View Post

but seriously , don't do it...unless your familiar with windows and stuff..AHCI also not much benefits if you ask me

I just did it to make windows look good thats all

besides registry hacking you have to do command line switches to extract the driver as well
    I have to disagree.
    http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/sh...4&postcount=25

if your hardware has no AHCI functionality, editing the driver is just wholly cosmetic.

I'm using ICH9R for your information

unless your saying the ICH9R chipset can't do AHCI...

and I'm just saying that AHCI offers little speed benefits for daily applications

I just did it to make windows look good... is that so wrong ? Why else were skins and stuff invented then ?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast