Poll: I have managed to switch my PC from IDE to AHCI mode after understanding this guide

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Intel SATA AHCI drivers in DOS format, the drivers are usually found on the mobo bundled disc but sometimes only as installers which have to be extracted in single file format (DOS format in Asus parlance).

Don't understand what this means. How to extract? Don't seem to be able to find for my TA690G =(

hi thanks to TS for the registry hack.
    worked well with my rig in my sig on windows 7 RC1 x64.
    however the default value was 3 instead of 4..just a note
    thanks

The following should work for the more recent AMD chipsets (no registry hacking needed):

**UPDATE: These steps are only applicable for AMD mainboard users, specifically the chipsets stated below that I have personally had success with. Your mileage may vary. USE AT OWN RISK. **

After some trial and error, I managed to switch my AMD 780G(Gigabyte) and 790GX(Biostar) SB7xx boards from using IDE to AHCI after having already installed WinXP.

Here's the trick - you need to boot up into XP with your system disk in IDE, but have the AHCI controller enabled in the BIOS so that XP can install the necessary AHCI drivers. To achieve this:

1. Connect your boot disk to the SATA_5(or SATA_4 on the Gigabyte MB) socket on your motherboard.
    2. Boot up and go into BIOS.
    3. In the relevant SATA config section, set SATA mode to AHCI and enable SATA IDE combined mode. For the Gigabyte BIOS, set SATA_4 and SATA_5 to IDE mode. Save and exit.
    4. Boot into XP. The AHCI controller hardware will be found and XP will prompt to install the necessary driver. Download and install the latest Catalyst raid driver.
    5. Shutdown computer and connect the boot disk back to the SATA_1 socket.
    6. Power on and go into BIOS. Disable SATA IDE combined mode if you don't need to run any disks on SATA_5 and SATA_6 in IDE mode.
    7. Restart and boot into XP. At this point, you would already be running your boot disk in AHCI mode.
    8. If you need to hot-plug any SATA disks other than your boot disk, goto device manager and disable write caching for the disks requiring hot-plug capability.
    9. You're done.
    Last edited by Slammer; Nov 16th, 09 at 11:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Slammer View Post
    The following should work for the more recent AMD chipsets (no registry hacking needed):

After some trial and error, I managed to switch my AMD 780G(Gigabyte) and 790GX(Biostar) SB7xx boards from using IDE to AHCI after having already installed WinXP.

Here's the trick - you need to boot up into XP with your system disk in IDE, but have the AHCI controller enabled in the BIOS so that XP can install the necessary AHCI drivers. To achieve this:

1. Connect your boot disk to the SATA_5(or SATA_4 on the Gigabyte MB) socket on your motherboard.
    2. Boot up and go into BIOS.
    3. In the relevant SATA config section, set SATA mode to AHCI and enable SATA IDE combined mode. For the Gigabyte BIOS, set SATA_4 and SATA_5 to IDE mode. Save and exit.
    4. Boot into XP. The AHCI controller hardware will be found and XP will prompt to install the necessary driver. Download and install the latest Catalyst raid driver.
    5. Shutdown computer and connect the boot disk back to the SATA_1 socket.
    6. Power on and go into BIOS. Disable SATA IDE combined mode if you don't need to run any disks on SATA_5 and SATA_6 in IDE mode.
    7. Restart and boot into XP. At this point, you would already be running your boot disk in AHCI mode.
    8. If you need to hot-plug any SATA disks other than your boot disk, goto device manager and disable write caching for the disks requiring hot-plug capability.
    9. You're done.
    thanks!
    i tried your method on my GA MA770T-UD3P board
    it works like a charm!

Just 1 thing
    after running AHCI my HDD temp is not there anymore in HD Tune

i try set back to ide and the temp is showing again
    normal?

Anyone pls?
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by SPEED View Post
    thanks!
    i tried your method on my GA MA770T-UD3P board
    it works like a charm!

Just 1 thing
    after running AHCI my HDD temp is not there anymore in HD Tune

i try set back to ide and the temp is showing again
    normal?
    You can try a couple of things:

1. Update your motherboard bios.
    2. Try another program like HWMonitor or SpeedFan.

Quote Originally Posted by Slammer View Post
    You can try a couple of things:

1. Update your motherboard bios.
    2. Try another program like HWMonitor or SpeedFan.
    Bios is latest version.

Ok i tonite go install HWMonitor to see if the temp can read.
    Thanks!!!

tested with HWMonitor

HDD is not shown at all so no temp is reported.

Try tweaking some bios settings:

- disable ide controller if you are not using any ide peripherals
    - enable hdd s.m.a.r.t.

No harm trying out SpeedFan I guess...

How to update Achi driver. My asus MB dun have bios option to enable Achi.
    [IMG]http://************/c9gcxg[/IMG]

Seduce my mind, you will get my body, find my soul, you will get my heart:

Quote Originally Posted by raichu View Post
    How to update Achi driver. My asus MB dun have bios option to enable Achi.
    What board?
    Intel i7 2700K |Asus Maximus IV Extreme-Z |Samsung 16GB @ 1600Mhz | Asus Matrix 7970 | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | WD 450GB Velociraptor | Seasonic X-750W GOLD | Filco Brown| Logitech G500 | Creative Premium HD | Klipsch GMX 2.1 | Dell U2412H x3 | Silverstone FT02BW | Thermalright Silver Arrow |

Samsung Galaxy Note 5 64G |

Asus P5KPL-AM/PS dun have ACHI enable in bios.
    They shld cautious pple cos I went to install achi driver, reboot cannot open XP blue screen.
    keep restarted and restart. My xp is upgrade version cannot reinstalled.
    I need to reformat a new XP. I think not every MB support achi driver.
    TS shld warn pple aabout tat.
    Where when I browse the usa forum , they always advised pple wat is the thing to do & not. Gave proper information in detail. not like here anyhow.
    kind of PISSED OFF.

Asus P5KPL-AM/PS dun have ACHI enable in bios.
    They shld cautious pple cos I went to install achi driver, reboot cannot open XP blue screen.
    keep restarted and restart. My xp is upgrade version cannot reinstalled.
    I need to reformat a new XP. I think not every MB support achi driver.
    TS shld warn pple aabout tat.
    Where when I browse the usa forum , they always advised pple wat is the thing to do & not. Gave proper information in detail. not like here anyhow.
    kind of PISSED OFF.
    I don't have your MB but a quick look at its manual says it does support AHCI (although not specifically worded as such). To enable AHCI (aka enhanced mode or native mode):

Set [BIOS->Main->Storage Configuration->ATA/IDE Configuration] = Enhanced

BTW, did you mean you tried to install the AHCI drivers WITHOUT knowing if your MB supports it? I can't seem to wrap my brain around that thought of why someone would do anything like that. And to then bitch this forum for it... wow... that takes the cake. Seriously, WTF?
    Last edited by Slammer; Nov 13th, 09 at 11:36 AM.

[/QUOTE]my MB hv sata Hdisk , I think it is risky to do this way after install xp. even Ive try vista also go bonka. fresh install , F6 at sata driver tat shld be safer. just imagine 2 of the os gone , must do some fresh install especially U have dual boot very troublesome.
    Im done blaminf this forum. My main point was to warn pple BECAREFUL.

Set [BIOS->Main->Storage Configuration->ATA/IDE Configuration] = Enhanced
    My bios got this option only SATA or PATA dun know wat is pata
    even the asus website say got achi driver , dun know how to extract it out. maybe wrong method or driver.
    1 quest , is it true tat If U got sata hdisk , U re support achi.

My bios got this option only SATA or PATA dun know wat is pata
    Use SATA if you want all your drives to run in AHCI or RAID mode. Use SATA+PATA if you want some of your drives to run in AHCI/RAID mode and some to run in IDE mode.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast