Exclamation CMOS checksum error - Defaults loaded (Keyboard unresponsive)

Hey guys,

So I got bored and I whipped out my 8yr+ old rig(see sig). I've been trying to get it to work again but I'm running into this message which reads CMOS checksum error - Defaults loaded. My keyboard, however, is not responding at all.

Here is a pic to show the screen I get stuck on.

Can't press F1 or DEL since my keyboard won't work.

I have already tried plugging my keyboard PS/2 connector to my mouse port and although that did bring about an improvement(my keyboards caps/num lock indicator lights do blink when I power up the CPU) the keyboard is still not responding after it comes to the screen above. If I plug it into the keyboard PS/2 port then the keyboard lights don't even blink when I power up the CPU.

The mobo is newer cos I replaced my busted mobo about two years back or so.

Please do assist, I would really appreciate it. Intend to use this for downloading etc for as long as it lives.

Thanks!
    [vRz] HellHunter
    Quote Originally Posted by domho7
    Yes u're ****ing right!! CHIO like my daughter but not much FEATURES!!! HA! HA! Daughter SONG BO!!

Change the battery on your motherboard.
    Or you can just live with it. Go to BIOS and find an option to turn off the checksum.

For your keyboard, I think it is together with the checksum.

Quote Originally Posted by khaos83_2000 View Post
    Change the battery on your motherboard.
    Or you can just live with it. Go to BIOS and find an option to turn off the checksum.

For your keyboard, I think it is together with the checksum.
    Hmm. Keyboard is not responding, I can't go into BIOS. Unless there is some other way I am unaware of? Thanks for the reply.
    [vRz] HellHunter
    Yes u're ****ing right!! CHIO like my daughter but not much FEATURES!!! HA! HA! Daughter SONG BO!!

Newbie of Now and Forever wwenze's Avatar
    You can't use a PS/2 keyboard with a PS/2 mouse port, unless is those mainboard and notebook with only one port designed for both.

Got another keyboard?

Quote Originally Posted by wwenze View Post
    You can't use a PS/2 keyboard with a PS/2 mouse port, unless is those mainboard and notebook with only one port designed for both.

Got another keyboard?
    I'm trying with both ports, the PS/2 keyboard and mouse port. Neither is producing any result. I tried to use a USB keyboard as well, didn't work.

The reason I tried the mouse port was because someone elsewhere had asked for help on very similar symptoms as mine but the person resolved it by plugging his keyboard into the mouse port. He had done something with his mobo and it had swapped the port function around. No such luck for me though.
    [vRz] HellHunter

Bipolar Narcissistic Dreamslacker's Avatar
    Change the battery on the motherboard. It should be a CR2032 or CR2025 battery. Should resolve the issue.
    An Idle Mind Walks in Dark Places
    Certified Network n00b

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamslacker View Post
    Change the battery on the motherboard. It should be a CR2032 or CR2025 battery. Should resolve the issue.
    I did put in a new battery but that doesn't seem to resolve the keyboard not responding issue and I get stuck at the above screen still.
    [vRz] HellHunter

Quote Originally Posted by HellHunter View Post
    I did put in a new battery but that doesn't seem to resolve the keyboard not responding issue and I get stuck at the above screen still.
    wah so jialat
    From the pic it seems that that is a old motherboard.
    does USB keyboard works?
    Or you can try to reset the motherboard settings. can use jumper to reset or remove battery for a few mins will do.

Actually I encounter this frequently with old pcs in my office. Just keep trying and it may pass.
    If it does not, then I will give up.
    Last edited by khaos83_2000; Jun 29th, 10 at 11:19 PM.

Have you tried resetting the CMOS? Your PS/2 port or keyboard are probably screwed. If you can get the board to post once past that message, the USB keyboard will be activated.
    Certified Network n00b

Sorry to add on words:

All motherboard come with CR2032 3v battery, there won't be other type in the motherboard.
    you can try first flip the cmos battery to the side which indicate negative side, slot in for 2mins and flip it back to it's original position.
    Any device plugin the system?

Quote Originally Posted by khaos83_2000 View Post
    wah so jialat
    From the pic it seems that that is a old motherboard.
    does USB keyboard works?
    Or you can try to reset the motherboard settings. can use jumper to reset or remove battery for a few mins will do.

Actually I encounter this frequently with old pcs in my office. Just keep trying and it may pass.
    If it does not, then I will give up.
    Yup, have tried the jumper settings too. No luck. USB keyboard does not work. Have kept trying..
    [vRz] HellHunter

Have you tried resetting the CMOS? Your PS/2 port or keyboard are probably screwed. If you can get the board to post once past that message, the USB keyboard will be activated.
    Reset CMOS as in battery out, cool down and battery in reboot? Did that, still comes to the above screen and gets stuck there. It's probably the PS/2 port, the keyboard is new. Yeh, I'm really hoping it'll just get past once, i'll probably disable halt on error if it does and enable my USB keyboard.
    [vRz] HellHunter

Quote Originally Posted by ahyong View Post
    Sorry to add on words:

All motherboard come with CR2032 3v battery, there won't be other type in the motherboard.
    you can try first flip the cmos battery to the side which indicate negative side, slot in for 2mins and flip it back to it's original position.
    Any device plugin the system?
    Yup did that too heh. This is a pesky one.
    I had stripped the system down to bare essentials to troubleshoot, got a mobo/RAM/HDD/PSU/CDRW hooked up. I've tried removing the CDRW, no difference.
    [vRz] HellHunter

Reset CMOS as in battery out, cool down and battery in reboot? Did that, still comes to the above screen and gets stuck there. It's probably the PS/2 port, the keyboard is new. Yeh, I'm really hoping it'll just get past once, i'll probably disable halt on error if it does and enable my USB keyboard.
    No. Reset CMOS as in.. Unplug power cord, take out battery and use the Clear CMOS jumper for 10s then replace the jumper, battery and power cord in that order. Then power up.
    Certified Network n00b

No. Reset CMOS as in.. Unplug power cord, take out battery and use the Clear CMOS jumper for 10s then replace the jumper, battery and power cord in that order. Then power up.
    Oh, yeh, done that too. Still haven't been able to get it to go past that screen. I guess there doesn't seem to be that much point putting so much effort into this either.
    [vRz] HellHunter