Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    ctrl f ~

Avid Wonderful & Ye Eun-Impact Fanboy!

Newbie of Past & Present yantronic's Avatar
    I'm not sure I haven't seen this earlier.
    The opinions expressed above do not represent those of VR-Zone (VR Media PTE LTD Singapore) or any of their affiliates.

Is it possible for me to get a low powered SET amp (10w) to biamp with a 80w solid state amp via the speakers passive crossovers?

Any pitfalls that I should be looking out for?
    Last edited by aLKayeL; Jul 20th, 11 at 11:08 AM.
    Consonance PW-3 - Marantz SA8400 - Behringer Ultracurve Pro DEQ2496 - Beresford Caiman - Dared MC-7P - Roksan Caspian M Series 1 Power Amp - Usher CP 6311

Asus Maximus Gene-Z - Intel i7 2600k - Palit GTX 560 1GB SLI

If i read correctly, are you trying to power a single speaker with 2 amplifier? In this case, the speaker must have 2 set of input for bi-amp. Usually, there is a physical short link shorting these 2 input of the speaker(they are meant for a single amplifier), you have to remove the short link, connect each input to the output of each individual amplifier.

Quote Originally Posted by atan View Post
    If i read correctly, are you trying to power a single speaker with 2 amplifier? In this case, the speaker must have 2 set of input for bi-amp. Usually, there is a physical short link shorting these 2 input of the speaker(they are meant for a single amplifier), you have to remove the short link, connect each input to the output of each individual amplifier.
    Yes this is correct. My speakers does have separate inputs for highs and lows.

But what I'm concerned about is the volume levels of different amps and how will it affect the sound?

Will the bass be very loud and the tweeter be very soft? Due to 10watts for tweeters and 70watts for the bass driver.
    Consonance PW-3 - Marantz SA8400 - Behringer Ultracurve Pro DEQ2496 - Beresford Caiman - Dared MC-7P - Roksan Caspian M Series 1 Power Amp - Usher CP 6311

novice here, but isn't the eventual volume dependent on the input gain on the power amp rather than power rating?

Quote Originally Posted by Questor View Post
    novice here, but isn't the eventual volume dependent on the input gain on the power amp rather than power rating?
    That's probably another thing to consider, there's also gain factor.
    but I was thinking, wont the passive crossovers correct this?

Tweeter is rated at 20watts max
    Woofer is rated at 150watts max

But when driven by a single amp the sound is balanced (which i think is by the passive crossover getting rid of excessive power to the tweeter)

So whats the difference when i drive it with 2 amps? The passive crossover in the speaker should be able to do the same correct?

Newbie of Now and Forever wwenze's Avatar
    The output voltage depends on only gain. Assuming no clipping.

And for the same driver, volume depends only on that voltage.

But different drivers fed the same voltage produce different volume. The crossover takes care of that. For the end user, it is all about sending the same voltage to both drivers.

As for the difference when 2 amps is used...

Are you a believer?

j/k, bi-amping has real benefits. The obvious one being more power available from using two amps. Or a lower-power higher-quality amp can be used for the tweeter. Two of the same amp has higher damping factor than one, and the drivers are isolated from each others' back EMF.

Yea, i noticed that SETs have a very nice sparkly sound but handles bass badly, so i was thinking if i could get some SET magic into my system by doing some bi amping while retaining the bass control and punch of a solid state

alkayel, you have to have a look something from Lamm Industries, VTL and the likes. They will not sound as what you described. For an entry, perhaps have a look at what PrimaLuna is offering.
    Bzzzzzzzzzzzzt Blitz.

Cert : #1212NA195 , #1404TCE008 , #1404WE064 , #1405RE146 , #1405INE010 , #1604UME060

Wah 3 year late reply sial
    It is better to remain silent and be taken as a fool, than to speak and prove your ignorance beyond doubt.

礼义廉耻,国之四维。四维不张,国乃灭亡。

菩萨畏因,众生畏果

Newbie of Now and Forever wwenze's Avatar
    Yea the economy is bad lately

is it necessary to amp a Grado 125e or 325e

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12