Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 103
  1. #1
    Beer Master
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Foxhole
    Posts
    808

    Thumbs up Compass DAC Owners Discussion Thread

    C'mon in..Share your thoughts . What settings / HDAM u guys using, burning in.

    Currently Earth HDAM..all default settings to burning..

  2. #2
    There's a differently titled topic on the same thing here:
    http://forums.vr-zone.com/audiophile...ile-level.html

    but well, using the Sun right now on normal, burned in 150 hours on earth at soft 2... havent' spent the time to play around with the settings, but this is good stuff!

  3. #3
    Club VR Member greenarrow2k4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Retiree Kampong
    Posts
    789
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitric View Post
    C'mon in..Share your thoughts . What settings / HDAM u guys using, burning in.

    Currently Earth HDAM..all default settings to burning..
    The initial setting of Earth is bright for me. I've set it to have all four jumpers closed for the burning in period. With this setting, my K702 sounds clear and sharp in the mid and high. The bass is also not so punchy. SQ is good.

    Btw, what the use for a single rca cable which is included? Did you guys take out the foam on the inside cover of the Compass?

    Overall impression - good value for my $$$

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by greenarrow2k4 View Post

    Btw, what the use for a single rca cable which is included? Did you guys take out the foam on the inside cover of the Compass?
    The single rca cable is for your digital coaxial input. I decided to take the foam out as i found out my earth getting kinda warm. Prevention is better than cure.

  5. #5
    Club VR Member greenarrow2k4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Retiree Kampong
    Posts
    789
    Quote Originally Posted by implicit View Post
    The single rca cable is for your digital coaxial input. I decided to take the foam out as i found out my earth getting kinda warm. Prevention is better than cure.
    This cable looks like the usual el-cheapo stuff I use this to connect the out from my PC soundcard to the in of the Compass. Better than using a usb connection?

    I decided to have the foam on as the op-amp thingy is rather shakey to the touch.

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    99
    Quote Originally Posted by greenarrow2k4 View Post
    This cable looks like the usual el-cheapo stuff I use this to connect the out from my PC soundcard to the in of the Compass. Better than using a usb connection?

    I decided to have the foam on as the op-amp thingy is rather shakey to the touch.
    I only had a single yellow coaxial cable inside the package and it doesn't seem to be a proper coaxial cable. I suggest you use the included optical cable or a separate coaxial cable which you may already have (RCA terminated).

    In terms of USB vs. Coaxial vs. Optical, I believe nobody can give you a definite answer which is better because different systems with different implementations on the different outputs will result in varying results. For example, if your sound card is very poor and the digital out has very high jitter, you may be better of using the USB connection.

    Regarding the foam, I think it's better to remove it because the HDAM will get pretty hot (in fact my entire Compass feels very hot). Kingwa also recommends removing the foam before use.

    When the Compass arrives , I advise you to open the chassis and remove the foams from the underside of the hood of the chassis box . These foams were placed to protect the OPA during shipment. If you want to ship Compass again, you can stick some foam on the same place. But even you if you don't do that, Compass should still work well.
    Last edited by WwH; Apr 3rd, 09 at 02:55 PM.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by WwH View Post
    I only had a single yellow RCA cable inside the package and it doesn't seem to be a proper coaxial cable. I suggest you use the included optical cable or a separate coaxial cable which you may already have (RCA terminated).

    In terms of USB vs. Coaxial vs. Optical, I believe nobody can give you a definite answer which is better because different systems with different implementations on the different outputs will result in varying results. For example, if your sound card is very poor and the digital out has very high jitter, you may be better of using the USB connection.

    Regarding the foam, I think it's better to remove it because the HDAM will get pretty hot (in fact my entire Compass feels very hot). Kingwa also recommends removing the foam before use.
    yup... my guess is if your soundcard can't output 44.1khz native(most onboard audio has this problem) then it'll be better to use usb connection or find a good resampler plug-in for your media player to resample to 48khz..

    i'm using x-fi bit-perfect output -> coaxial -> compass for burn in..

  8. #8
    Club VR Member greenarrow2k4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Retiree Kampong
    Posts
    789
    Quote Originally Posted by PPkiller View Post
    i'm using x-fi bit-perfect output -> coaxial -> compass for burn in..
    I've a x-fi and just how I connect using your method?

  9. #9
    Mini Maggies Rock gadenp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    3,643
    Anyone know the diff sound sigs on the jumpers. Have mine on neutral now. Much better then the loud settings....

    Currently also using the Earth HDAM, on a pre-amp setup.

    Wondering if the pre-amp will degrade the music.... My short listen test between my passive pre-amp and the compass pre-amp is inconclusive. Need more powerful ear opinions.

  10. #10
    u using vista?

    if vista...
    1) u need to set the default format in vista audio control panel to either 16 bit 44100hz or 24 bit 44100hz..

    2) next u'll need to go to audio creation mode, click on "settings", select 44.1khz for "master sampling rate", under "flexiJack" enable "digital I/O"(if you are using the old x-fi) and most important, check "Enable Bit-Matched Playback" under "Bit-Matched" tab.

    the rest will be up to your media player.... i'm using foobar2000 with creative asio..


    do note that u need to set 44.1khz (point1). i notice if i didn't set that and set point2 instead, somehow the x-fi will resample to 48khz and it sound bad(bass like kinda missing).


    for the connection, I'm using a mono to rca jack convertor for the flexiJack at the back of my x-fi card so that i can connect rca cables.

    ps: i'll jus burnin with "bright" mode.. can't stand soft-2...
    Last edited by PPkiller; Apr 3rd, 09 at 11:21 AM.

  11. #11
    You know this question will come.

    How does it compare to citypulse?


    Quote Originally Posted by gadenp View Post
    Anyone know the diff sound sigs on the jumpers. Have mine on neutral now. Much better then the loud settings....

    Currently also using the Earth HDAM, on a pre-amp setup.

    Wondering if the pre-amp will degrade the music.... My short listen test between my passive pre-amp and the compass pre-amp is inconclusive. Need more powerful ear opinions.

  12. #12
    my compass is getting hot...

    as of now compass has a muddy sound( == need more burnin~) maybe a month later gadenp can give you a better comparison...

  13. #13
    Mini Maggies Rock gadenp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    3,643
    Quote Originally Posted by PPkiller View Post
    my compass is getting hot...

    as of now compass has a muddy sound( == need more burnin~) maybe a month later gadenp can give you a better comparison...
    Yea yea I go XTimX's house and compare with his citypulse after I burn in.
    Last edited by gadenp; Apr 3rd, 09 at 12:59 PM.

  14. #14

    Arrow

    Quote Originally Posted by mylica View Post
    You know this question will come.

    How does it compare to citypulse?
    X2

    headamp portion compass should win easy. (Hard not to win... lol)

    interested to know how the DAC portion compares. Both USB and optical if possible. How well the bass plays also important.

    Hopefully some brudders would kindly share their findings.


  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by gadenp View Post
    Yea yea I go XTimX's house and compare with his citypulse after I burn in.
    Let me know if i can go along hahahaha. more ears better.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast