Video post processing

ok heres some tidbits on why ffdshow and a good video decoder is important for watching dvds/movies on pc.

Intervideo video decoder + ffdshow resize + avisynth

Nvidia video decoder + ffdshow resize + avisynth

Nvidia + ffdshow resize + No avisynth

Dscaler + ffdshow resize + avisynth

pictures taken from www.avsforum.com
    Last edited by Gollum; Aug 26th, 06 at 04:38 AM.
    "Now, now, my good man, this is no time for making enemies." -- Voltaire His last words on his death bed when asked by a priest to renounce Satan.

Intervideo video decoder + ffdshow resize + avisynth

Nvidia video decoder + ffdshow resize + avisynth

Nvidia + ffdshow resize + No avisynth

Dscaler + ffdshow resize + avisynth

pictures taken from www.avsforum.com
    "Now, now, my good man, this is no time for making enemies." -- Voltaire His last words on his death bed when asked by a priest to renounce Satan.

hehehehhe think most dun understand...
    OTOH adding avisynth looks like adding too much EE to mu liking...those with digital display may be put off
    HDfury available, pm me for orders人人毒我,我毒人人
    www.htpc-gear.com

www.barco.com/digitalcinema

eh... wat does the avisynth do anyway???
    Never EVER drive faster than your Guardian Angel can FLY!

Quote Originally Posted by scyeige
    eh... wat does the avisynth do anyway???

its something like a scripting tool for video that allows users to create plug ins.

the below stolen from wiki

AviSynth communicates with any program that supports AVIs through the video for windows system by acting as a "fake" AVI file. It can apply a large variety of editing and processing functions (called filters) to a video stream before passing along the results as if it were a legitimate file being read. Filter capabilities include trimming, cropping, deinterlacing, inverse telecine, loading and splicing still images, doing color corrections, denoising, and many other things.

Technically, it acts as a codec for AviSynth scripts, which are text files written in the AviSynth scripting language. The scripting language can be extended through the use of plugins. A plugin list is maintained at AviSynth Filter Collection.

AviSynth filters work in several color spaces including RGB, YUY2 and YV12. This is necessary to allow all kinds of video input and output. Also, certain functions only work on certain colour spaces, making conversion mandatory.

Quote Originally Posted by videofusion
    hehehehhe think most dun understand...
    OTOH adding avisynth looks like adding too much EE to mu liking...those with digital display may be put off

but the details are out. havent tried on a large screen yet but i think will be pretty darn impressive.

VF u tried seesaw yet?

I tried w/o avysynth just resize and denoise3d, dscaler sharpen on few of my clients plasma, too much of a good thing doesnt't make it nicer however the same setting looks darn fine on my CRT front projection
    www.htpc-gear.com

Quote Originally Posted by videofusion
    I tried w/o avysynth just resize and denoise3d, dscaler sharpen on few of my clients plasma, too much of a good thing doesnt't make it nicer however the same setting looks darn fine on my CRT front projection
    expert leh...

Quote Originally Posted by etanel
    expert leh...
    nbbbzzz where's the etscaler????/ i wait until song song
    www.htpc-gear.com

heres a 1080p self protrait

Just some info on resolutions from the PowerStrip Forums

Plasma displays normally include very good scalers, which allow them to be "compatible" with high definition signals: 1080i and 720p. More than other display types, plasma marketing can be very confusing. To keep it simple, think of there being only 4 types of panels:

1. WVGA: 852x480, usually labelled EDTV
    2. ALIS: 1024x512, but usually marketed at its interlaced equivalent of 1024x1024
    3. XGA: 1024x768, usually marketed as HD plasma because it can resolve 720 progressive lines
    4. WXGA: 1366x768, also marketed as HD because it can resolve 1280x720 natively; some will even accept 1080p and scale that to the native resolution

*All* of these plasmas can be "compatible" with 1080i and 720p, if they're designed to recognize the incoming signal and scale it to the native resolution. The difference between them isn't in the signals they are compatible with, but what they scale it to. As a general rule when connecting a display to a PC you want to avoid scaling altogether and configure the PC for the plasma's native resolution.

1. WVGA: if 852x480 is not available, shoot for 848x480 or 856x480
    2. ALIS: these are nice for CE devices but ill-suited for HTPCs; shoot for 1024x512 (although some people prefer 1024x576)
    3. XGA: 1024x768, but because these plasmas have non-square pixels, many people prefer a bit of scaling and use 1280x768, 1360x768 or 1368x768 instead to get a better widescreen aspect ratio
    4. WXGA: if 1366x768 isn't available, shoot for 1360x768 or 1368x768

link: http://forums.entechtaiwan.net/viewt...pioneer+plasma
    Never EVER drive faster than your Guardian Angel can FLY!

Hmm tried all the filter combi

Followed the advanced guide. mpc + ffdshow resize (2x)+ avisyth + all the scripts (denoisers, sharpeners) + dscalar decoder/nvidia decoder + rclocker. Computer usage at 70+% and couldn't play the dvd. Played an hdtv version of smallville, turned up super laggy and mosiac looks.

Guess it really requires a good system.

My system:
    X2 4600+
    DDR400 4GB Ram
    7900GTX
    Hitachi tk250 on Raid 0.

Gollum, u followed to the T in the guide?
    "Before I came here I was confused about this subject. Having listened to your lecture I am still confused. But on a higher level." --- E. Fermi (1901-1954)

Quote Originally Posted by dxter
    Hmm tried all the filter combi

Followed the advanced guide. mpc + ffdshow resize (2x)+ avisyth + all the scripts (denoisers, sharpeners) + dscalar decoder/nvidia decoder + rclocker. Computer usage at 70+% and couldn't play the dvd. Played an hdtv version of smallville, turned up super laggy and mosiac looks.

Guess it really requires a good system.

My system:
    X2 4600+
    DDR400 4GB Ram
    7900GTX
    Hitachi tk250 on Raid 0.

Gollum, u followed to the T in the guide?
    i gave up on postpocessing true hd content (720p 1080i 1080p).

Normal dvd quality post process not a problem. just that true hd content my system went to its knees.