Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I Circumvent Warranties p|sangp|sang's Avatar
    small updates today
    got some help from my dad to cut up 2 pieces of 14" x 12" 3/4" jelutong board into 3/4" square pieces

I did some mockups for the actual height. Minimum overall height about 11cm tall.

All that is left is to cut it up to length. Well I'll leave it that for tomorrow.
    That's all for today. Cheers peeps

A little update today. Cut out a few pieces of wood with the miter saw. Fast and accurate cut, nothing beats a power saw.

Still in the experimenting period so I havent finalize the overall design. Im playing around with the height n depth of the case so it will look and feel just right. Currently i felt that the height might be too much and lacking of depth. well thats what the 2 base piece are for

well that's it for now cheers

NOT Soon to be modder lee-turbo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by p|sangp|sang View Post
    226 if im not wrong
    i am so going to get it, where to get?
    prices is reasonable, need to get it asap, work on my project

Quote Originally Posted by lee-turbo View Post
    i am so going to get it, where to get?
    prices is reasonable, need to get it asap, work on my project
    dremel distro, sg tooling dot com

bro, got any idea on how to replicate the following?

The layout is something like this:

Do let me know if it's within your means. Thanks!
    CPU: Intel i7 2600k cooled by ID Cooling Frostflow 240L
    Mainboard: Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z
    RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR3 1600mhz CL9 4x4GB
    GFX: Palit GTX 1070 Super Jetstream
    PSU: FSP Aurum Platinum 80+ 550W Semi Modular
    HDD: Internal Zotac 120GB SATA3 SSD , 2TB Samsung F4 Spinpoint , 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10, Toshiba 2TB 7200RPM, 1TB 3.5" WD elements (convert internal), 320GB 2.5" WD elements (convert internal)
    Chassis: NZXT S340 Elite BLack/Red
    Speakers: Swans M50W
    Keyboard: Royal Kludge Electrostatic capacitive keyboard TKL; Topre Typeheaven
    Mouse+Peripherals: Logitech G102; Razer Naga
    Monitor: Dell U2312HM + Benq Zowie XL2411Z

Wah, I'm glad that I found this thread...

I got some project in mind that I'd like to use Nixie tube but dunno where to start, this thread helps me >_<

Btw, where did you get your parts from? I'm interested in getting my hands on them to try it out >_<

PS: I'm so enthusiastic that I subscribed this thread >_< I'll keep track of your project as we go >_< Keep going >_<

Quote Originally Posted by sentinel011 View Post
    bro, got any idea on how to replicate the following?
    Do let me know if it's within your means. Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulKami View Post
    Wah, I'm glad that I found this thread...
    I got some project in mind that I'd like to use Nixie tube but dunno where to start, this thread helps me >_<
    Btw, where did you get your parts from? I'm interested in getting my hands on them to try it out >_<
    PS: I'm so enthusiastic that I subscribed this thread >_< I'll keep track of your project as we go >_< Keep going >_<
    @sentinel/paul
    Basiaclly there are 2 types of nixie clock design
    Those are powered by a micro controller liek an avr or a pic.
    Slightly complicated but easy if u know how to write codes also reduced wire traced since they can be multiplexed. also can have additional features liek anti cathode poisoning. well all still depends on the programming
    my design is based on cascading counters (4017 decade counter). very simple design but requires shitloads of wire traces.

a place to start in obtaining nixie tubes is ebay. they are shipped out directly from Ukraine or mother russia warehouse.
    though these arent manufactured anymore they are mostly old stocks from way back in the 1970s. good ol russian tech.
    anyways the sudden gain popularity of nixie clock/projects causes a high demand which may caused in increased price
    these are the types available. small ones may cost from 2bux, lage ones 50bux (usd) each
    Nixie Tubes | Steampunk Alchemy

there are already assembled or soldered required kits selling on the net. slightly pricey but hey if you have little or no experience and want something that works, get from them

Righties, gluing the sides to the base is no easy feat. Especially when we're dealing with small, uneven parts. After getting wood glue all over the place, I've finally managed to clamp it in place. All that is left is the waiting.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Spin-off project
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A few weeks back, I noticed that my hubstation cable modem led indicator is offline. Suspected the usual culprit, shitty bad caps.

Well, no surprised there. These hubstation aka thomson dvr160 are know for their failing psu.

These are crapxon caps. Out they go. So went and ordered replacements from e14.

While I was removing the caps I noticed something that should have not be done.

Adding thermal paste together with thermal pads are a no-no. It basically defeats the purpose of heat transfer by adding additional materials in between 2 surface.

So off they go. Cleaned up the sink, rectifier and pads with some solvent.

Care packaged have arrived.

Everything is in place, well sort off. the original crapxon caps were 8mm in diameter while the new pannys are 10mm. Kinda tight fit i guess.

I sinked the proc and add an additional fan. This unit is hot and i'm not kidding. On hot days it would restart itself. Originally, I used a delta 70mm thermal controlled fan but the heat is way too much causing it to roar at full speed which drives my ears crazy. Out it go then and in an AMD powered.
    So all in, i spent about 13bux of panny FC caps with plenty of spares since the minimum order quantity is in 5s. Hah, looks like they are the only premium parts in this poorly designed piece of hardware. Looking at the main board itself I can see lots more of crapxon caps but that is fine so i leave it as it is. *Meh cheap quality parts*
    So far so good, cable modem is working as it should. Alls well ends well.

That's it for today. Cheers mates

Okies sorry for the lack of updates, been busy with real life as I started college.
    So anyways did a couple of stuff this week. I changed the design yet again and this time its final. Im pretty happy with it and its simple anyways. I kinda lacking a pic or 2 while i was cutting the wood and gluing it. Blame it on my fubared camera phone which i thought i saved the pics.

The sides and top are basically 2mm acrylic. I didn't took pics while i was cutting them since the whole process generates a lot of plastic dust and i don't have an extra set of helping hands.

So the idea is to laminate copper sheet with the 2mm acrylic piece.

Not bad though still a little rough around the edge. Looks like I need a little bit more elbow grease.

The uneven pressure leaves the glue a little room which causes this effect while i was forming the copper. Kinda unexpected but I like it fits the theme too.

That's it for today. Tools dumped into a box for tomorrow.
    Tomorrow's todo.
    Top piece;
    -Cut slot for tubes
    -Screw holes
    -Buttons for set time
    -Copper forming
    Brass trimming for the base
    And hopefully wood can be stained and clear coat by Sunday.
    Not much work left. Looks like I can finish this by next week.

okays some updates today.

Forstner bit are great when making holes which are larger than the standard twisted drill bit.

Holes, checked. Slots, checked.

Test fitting the tube board

Looking good

Fitting in all the boards. Plenty of space for additional stuff in the future.

very nice! now it needs to be switched on
    CPU: Intel i7 2600k cooled by ID Cooling Frostflow 240L
    Mainboard: Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z
    RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR3 1600mhz CL9 4x4GB
    GFX: Palit GTX 1070 Super Jetstream
    PSU: FSP Aurum Platinum 80+ 550W Semi Modular
    HDD: Internal Zotac 120GB SATA3 SSD , 2TB Samsung F4 Spinpoint , 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10, Toshiba 2TB 7200RPM, 1TB 3.5" WD elements (convert internal), 320GB 2.5" WD elements (convert internal)
    Chassis: NZXT S340 Elite BLack/Red
    Speakers: Swans M50W
    Keyboard: Royal Kludge Electrostatic capacitive keyboard TKL; Topre Typeheaven
    Mouse+Peripherals: Logitech G102; Razer Naga
    Monitor: Dell U2312HM + Benq Zowie XL2411Z

Some late nite post.
    Quote Originally Posted by sentinel011 View Post
    very nice! now it needs to be switched on
    not yet da still more to do before i could fire em up

Okies here's the last update for the weekend(I cant believe I'm typing this again, due to a certain someone forgot to press the post button and press the back button, BLAAARG!)
    Frustrations aside, so here we go again.

This is the first time i've tried aerosol clear lacquer on wood. So I tried it on some test wood. I uses this technique, apply a layer let it dry. Use a dry cloth and just buff it it will smooth out the little bumps and air bubbles. Then repeat until the desired layer and finish. I only uses 3 layers to achieved the desired gloss.

2 cycles of rubbing compound and shit loads of elbow grease later. Before (right) After (left). Followed by a layer of clear coat + some buffing x2

So, after cutting, drilling, filling, sanding, washing, a layer of clear coat, that is what I ended up with.

The brass trimmings are nailed to the base.

I shorten the wires since they are a bit long.

Well that is all there is for today. Unfortunately, the electronics department is giving some issues. The 1hz generator fails to start when i used a wall wart. So I cant fire it up until next week. Hmm sub that with an arduino anyone ? Still I havent mount the Hr and Min set buttons yet.
    In the meantime, here's some sneak peak. Apart from the crappy phone cam quality, every surface is relatively shiny that light bounces around and i cant get a good picture.
    Cheers mates

Btw @ Sentinel. Do u have the source for the divergence meter / clock? Depending on how its well documented and openess, its possible to produce a prototype.
    just examining the sch. i can say its a multiplexed tubes controlled via an atmega8 micro controller. Seems Japanese pride too, toshiba optocoupler, rodan nixie tubes.
    That tube has both LHS n RHS decimal points, those kind of tubes are pretty rare.

Well i can tell u this, the divergence meter is the next in line after i complete this project. Since most of the radial type nix tubes are either endangered or extinctly expensive, ill be using a numitron tube instead runs on 3.5v and be driven by an arduino. though i have to figure out the code.

Got this in the mail today.

Accidentally threw the box away together with the stickers. Now i cant decorate my laptop

A pocket convergence meter?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast