Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Does this mean that it might be possible for me to DIY a simple backplate at the socket backplate using non-electrical material like wood, plastic or foam?
    ~

Macbook Pro (13-inch Mid 2012)

previous rig "mITX LITTLE LEOPARD" **status: RETIRED** >Click for Project LOG<

~

~

~

Quote Originally Posted by Lost_gool View Post
    Does this mean that it might be possible for me to DIY a simple backplate at the socket backplate using non-electrical material like wood, plastic or foam?
    You could, but I really wouldn't worry about it. I've had ITX boards warp like crazy after installing a big tower heatsink with really high mounting pressure, but they continued to work just fine for 2 years. Happy building, but beware - ITX becomes an addiction
    WTS: Icy Dock MB994SP ToughArmor hot swap drive dock
    WTS: PicoPSU 150W power supply module

Workstation.Box | H77 ITX • i7-3770 • 16GB • 3TB SSD + 4TB HDD • GTX760 • P2715Q 4K •  macOS 10.14
    VM.NAS.Server.Box | H170 ITX • i7-7700 • 32GB • 1TB SSD + 56TB HDD ZFS • ESXi 6.7

^Thanks bro.

Also, thanks to dr_disciple, for the H67 board has been acquired!
    Last edited by Lost_gool; Oct 31st, 11 at 07:08 AM.
    ~

~

Chapter 2, sourcing for parts, complete with price-list and comparison is done!

Assembly to be done tomorrow! Have a feeling that I will need ALOT of patience tomorrow.
    ~

~

Hahaha it won't be that bad... Some planning is required (like what goes in first or which cable to install before putting it in) though.
    It is better to remain silent and be taken as a fool, than to speak and prove your ignorance beyond doubt.

Heh fortunately the sg05 offers alot of space initially.. that is only until the PSU and drive goes in. Yep I'm gonna need to do some serious planning. Haven had the time to assemble today, brought my case to Gary to mod a window and change the blue power led to a red one.
    ~

~

WOOOOOT. First Post using Little Leopard! It's fast like helll.

And it works... amazing, after hours and hours of trying to cram the hardware into the SG05 case... realizing $35 low profile HSF didn't fit the board, blocked by NB heatsink. Filing and sawing. Cursing. Trying out positions. Taking out. Reconfiguring PSU and HDD cages. Taking out again. Cursing. Taking out again. Re-seating. Bending cables into all sorts of weird contortions..

BUT it's finally done!
    ~

~

No pictures? =(
    It is better to remain silent and be taken as a fool, than to speak and prove your ignorance beyond doubt.

Waiting for my case cover to come back from Gary Then all pictures will be up'ped
    ~

~

Case cover back. Now waiting for red LED bling to arrive in mail.

Click to show spoiler

In other thoughts, replaced the Silverstone AP with a CM XtraFlo case fan, because I like it's LED profile better than the AP; and its PWM... unfortunately, SYS fan header on the Zoatc H67 is 4 pin but doesn't have SMARTFAN support. Realised that only after I installed the new fan. WTH. So now my build boots up sounding like an F15 Jet, only silencing on login, running at a respectably silent 1400rpm thanks to Speedfan.

But it's a worthwhile sacrifice, and I like to think of the 10 seconds boot at full rpm (2200) as a dust flush.

Last edited by Lost_gool; Nov 9th, 11 at 09:58 AM.
    ~

~

it's addicting alright. Have build my first itx last week and i'll say it's work 3 days continuously work for all the installation and cable management.

good choice on the case! silverstone doesnt disappoint

^Indeed. Tho even cable management is a pain in the SG05.. although I do believe that once done, it does offer more headway for airflow than other cases. Good ventilation too la.

@playvltk04: yeah for me it meant many 4 a.m. mornings. First hardware pains, then software pains. Everything is more or less stable now.

Actually, I think I'm already conceptualizing my next ITX build in the deepest recesses of my mind, half-consciously. The next one will be a serious gaming machine.
    Last edited by Lost_gool; Nov 9th, 11 at 02:10 PM.
    ~

~

Had some time to myself today, so I spent an hour or two tidying the cables in the case.

I also managed to squeeze in a 80mm slim CM fan to take advantage of the top ventilation grills by blowing air out of them.

This build is still a work in progress in the blingbling department; but here are some photos.

Top view; see the said 80mm fan squeezed in a 70mm space between the cage and the PSU

-

Despite its look, it's quite stable... It's rested on 3 corners with 3 simple L-shaped mounts I fashioned myself out of unwanted PCI slot fillers. Double-sided tape did the rest, along with that string you see there as backup.

About cable management, this was really the best I could do so far;

-

Thank goodness the PSU came sleeved already, if not I think it would be more of a nightmare.

I really love the front profile, and I can't wait till I install the LEDs to see how the final build will look like on my desk.

~

~

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast