Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

[Project Log] My First ITX Build

Welcome to my project log!

Little introduction is needed. This will be where I document all the stages of creating this system from conceptional stages to actual inception to final reception. I hope I can share what I am going to learn in this build with all. Above all, I'm in this for the fun of building another system.

OBJECTIVE OF THE BUILD

**STARTING THOUGHTS**

Currently, my year-old gaming rig,
    :GAMING GECKO:, serves me very well. However, while it was designed for HD games and videos, what it wasn't designed for was for moving around with ease.

Therefore, a new overseas job offer is the perfect excuse I need to build this ultra-small ITX form factor system. In my new job I wouldn't have much time to game, so the few objectives this build had to rise up to was HD videos, specifically 1080p and 720p h264, and wireless and USB3.0 connectivity, and hopefully, silence.

2 main considerations I had when it came to conceptualizing this build.

First and foremost, I obviously want a small and easy-to-carry build, but at the same time I do not want to sacrifice blazing speed as well as future expansion. So the first thing I would have to balance in this build : its size vs. my performance wants (not needs) as well as a degree of future proofing. This really came to the fore when I was deciding on the case to go with, therefore, choosing a case that balanced size with performance was the hardest in the planning stage.

My second main consideration is price. One thing I really want to try with this build is to obtain its parts for as cheap as possible by buying second-hand as much as possible; via my new found confidence in our lovely vr-forums marketplace. This obsession of mine is due in part to a purposely limited budget, but more so due to me loving the satisfaction of having got something good at bargain price.

About the budget for this build, since a Zotac Zbox E350 goes for 400++ at Cybermind, I am going for $600 for an speedy 2nd Gen. core i3 or i5 without discrete GPU (but with option for adding a discrete full sized GPU in the future). Budget excludes monitor and speakers since I will be cannibalizing them from my current rig.
    It will be really interesting to see if I can meet the budget without exceeding it.

Reflecting the balancing act I will have to do between size and speed, I will christen this new system :LITTLE LEOPARD: .
    I will be going for a black case exuding red LEDs color theme; for a change from my current Blue and White LED color theme in :GAMING GECKO:.

So, let's start on this journey, and see where it takes me!

_

Last edited by Lost_gool; Nov 14th, 11 at 05:58 PM.
    ~

Macbook Pro (13-inch Mid 2012)

previous rig "mITX LITTLE LEOPARD" **status: RETIRED** >Click for Project LOG<

~

_

PLANNING AND RESEARCH

** CHAPTER 1 **

With my basic considerations laid down to guide me, let's continue on to the planning and research. Actually research should come before planning, because that's actually how I did it; after all no point planning without research right?

Methodology of research mostly involved the armchair kind; with uncountable visits to Google, The God of the Internet. Inspiration struck me in
    t258jgn's biz ITX thread (here). Using that as my launching pad, I went on to read numerous advertisements and specs on manufacturer's web-sites. I also irritated poor Jerome with endless questions, and because not all manufacturers can be trusted, I checked up reviews in many different third-party enthusiast review sites. (no, no Jerome can be trusted - he gave me awesome advice. Manufacturers themselves, ASUS, Palit etc - everyone knows: read with a pinch of salt)

Just a note here, I found newegg to be very useful in the respect of consumer reviews; much of the product-specific feedback there helped me really narrow down my choices. Good source of information!

That said, every self-respecting geek knows that nothing can beat research out in the field; in this case, specifically the great tech jungle, SLS. That involved taking leave for a day and spending a few hours wandering levels 3, 4, and 5; getting a feel of things and broadening my options. I'm really glad I did make that trip, because there, and only there, did I stumble upon a hot ITX case I knew I had to acquire. (The price was pretty hot too; despite its being outdated by not one but
    two successors, SG06 & 07)

Right, with methodology explained, let's go down into the specifics.

Motherboard

This wasn't too hard. Briefly, mATX beckoned, but I decided to stick to ITX because there was no sense in getting a larger board. I had to mull over ECS, MSI, Gigabyte and Zotac. The MSI E350 board was tempting pricewise, but its crappy performance against an i3 just gave it up. Realizing that H61 chipsets didn't have SATAIII support, I dropped it, and stuck to H67 (Likewise, no point going with Z68 for a non-OC build). MSI H61 was the first to drop out.

Gigabyte's H67 B3 board - no DVI port.
    FAIL. Remaining, the ECS H67 and Zotac H67 competed hard indeed. ECS had its low price point going for it, it also bundled USB3.0 and SATAIII. In the end though, the ECS couldn't beat the Zotac's build-in Wifi, and so I guess I paid the price for convenience. And 6 internal SATA ports. 7, if you loop the eSATA back in.

Decision - Zotac H67 ITX-WiFi-C-E

CPU

1155 chips were confirmed, for compatibility with H67 chipsets. It was still one of the toughest to decide, as it wasn't easy choosing between the dual-core no-TB i3s and quad-core TB i5s. Towards the end, the still pricey i5s had to be given up, too pricey for my build. I suppose I didn't need i5s too, after all, only surfing and watching 1080p shouldn't call for 4 cores.

In the end, all that was left was within the i3s, it was between i3-2100 and i3-2130. Both had HD2000 graphics. Therefore, I decided on the humbler of the two, because to me it wasn't worth paying an extra 50 bucks for a 0.3 GHz bump.

Decision - Intel Core i3-2100 PassMark Scores

*Speaking in retrospect at the completion of my build, a little note about the core i3-2100 :- I must say the fact that it is "only" a dual-core CPU does nothing to take away from it. Consider that it has hyper-threading. Therefore, the i3 benefits from 4 threads, even tho it has two discrete cores. The i5-2400 has 4 threads too, despite 4 discrete cores, due to its lack of hyper-threading.

Over the course of using it, I can say that I can't see any perceptible difference between this CPU and my previous 1st Gen core i7-860.

CASE

As arguably the most important part of my build (since PSU included too), I vacillated the most on this component. At first, the Tt Element Q beckoned. Watching some installation videos with this case, however, put me off because of how cramped it was going to get within. Also, limited ventilation, no case fans at all, what?

Then came the LianLi monster - V353B mATX. Loved it for the space and awesome open ventilation, "natural airflow" according to LianLi. Immediate cons of the case -
    PRICE, lack of bundled PSU, need for full ATX PSU. In the end, what sealed the its coffin for me was its huge footprint. At 40x30x30 cm it was too big really, and would have defeated the purpose of my small build.

I then saw the Tt Armor A30. Awesome case. Too bad, no stock at all.

In SLS, I stumbled upon the In-Win Wavy II; which I thought was a pretty decent balance between size and inner space and ventilation. The most tempting, I almost went back and got it. One online review however, shed light on the flimsiness of the case. Researching further, I realized that with a full 5.25 drive installed, it wouldn't leave much clearance between even a LP HSF and the drive. I held on to looking around a bit more.

Then I saw it. The one.
    Diminutive enough, yet not seemingly as cramped inside as the others had been. Good, open ventilation at side and top. Bundled with 80+ FSP SFX 300W, reviewed as a quality PSU. Dual-slot PCI. And it had a understated-sort of macho front profile that just caught my eye and didn't let go. I saw it and I thought: "Imagine a red LED 120mm fan there. Coolest thing." Turning the case around excitedly a few times, I asked its price from a nicely salesgirl, and almost dropped it when I heard $199. Still, despite its cons (price, slim profile drive), it had caught my heart. I made my decision. I would find a secondhand one.

Decision - Silverstone Sugo SG05 300W/450W

Last edited by Lost_gool; Nov 14th, 11 at 05:57 PM.
    ~

~

STORAGE

I want blazing speeds. No doubt I needed an SSD and a SATAIII one at that. With some recent BSOD problems with Sandforce, I tried to stay away from OCZ and Corsair. Reading some reviews of Crucial's M4 series reassured me that I wouldn't have to go to the trouble of updating the firmware. Also, it had a respectable (and relatively cheaper) 64GB size, so I went with that.

Decision - Crucial M4 2.5" 64GB SSD SATAIII + Any 7200rpm 3.5" HDD SATAII for Storage

RAM

I needed 1333MHz ram. Not wanting to skimp with Valuram, and yet not wanting to spend too much, I went with a reasonably priced Team Elite 8GB kit.

Decision - Team Elite 2x4GB 1333MHz CL9

ADDENDUM

Now this is very interesting. Here is an AnandTech benchmark comparison between the i3-2100 that I chose, and my current 1st Gen. i7-860 2.8GHz

AnandTech - Bench - CPU

_
    Last edited by Lost_gool; Nov 14th, 11 at 04:38 PM.
    ~

~

_

SOURCING FOR PARTS

** CHAPTER 2 **

HERE is the price list + retail comparison of the parts I have bought in this build.

All prices are accurate as of 29/10/2011. Where local retail prices can't be found, I found equivalent USD prices from common online retailers (not including shipping rates). All prices are SGD, unless noted.

This means that I have spent a Grand Total of
    $842 on this, my first Mini-ITX build. (Definitely not the last). To be honest, I did not expect to go over budget by $242!

As you can see from the list, the most expensive parts were the big 3, CPU, Mobo and SSD. This time, casing was the one that afforded me greatest saving of $89.
    So even if I pay $60 for modding, I will still end up with a modded case that is cheaper than the original!

With that, by sourcing my parts from and around Vr forums, I managed to shave a total of
    $171 or more off the bill had I gone full retail, and that feels somewhat good. However, to be fair, I must mention that I have not taken petrol and other transport costs into consideration. While I tried to keep these as low as possible, they still surely take a little bit out of my "savings" of $171.

_
    Last edited by Lost_gool; Nov 14th, 11 at 05:57 PM.
    ~

~

-

ASSEMBLY AND TROUBLESHOOTING

** CHAPTER 3 **

Here's a look at the setup.

This being my first ITX build ever, I was both anxious and excited to start off. I knew cable management was going to be a main issue, so I got ready by purchasing some wire holders from UVnium. As well as UHU glue, I got double-sided tape and masking tape and binding wire at the ready. I though that I had a good plan as to how to arrange the cables, but boy was I wrong. Everything I'd planned went out the door, and trial-and-error came in.

Let's start with more pictures, with some random thoughts as I think them out.

^ Above is the naked shell, we shall say, "the cage" of the SG05. It's really a beautiful case - tho, later I found out that cable management in this baby was still a pain. I am damn glad that I bought this case secondhand because one of the bonuses was that its previous owner had sent the PSU to UVnium to get the PSU cables sleeved in beautiful black.

I now think that this is an absolute must for any mini-ITX. It eases slightly the already complicated problem of cable management in the small space, making for better airflow thru the case, and of course it looks so much better as compared to one that isn't sleeved.

That said, one of the first cons that struck me about this case were the motherboard holders that you can see there on the bottom of the case. For a motherboard with weight of a third-party heatsink fan, I didn't think that it was good for it not to have some sort of support in the middle; for fear the MB would warp over time under its own weight. Bringing this up in some posts in this thread, I was put at ease, and just left it as it was.

So, I took the picture above, at about 4 pm in the day, when I was just starting assembly. Let's see what time I would end the assembly.

---

The first thing that went into the case was the Silverstone Air Penetrator 120 mm fan. Early at this point, a another con of this case presented itself. Whether I used the supplied mesh filter or my own demciflex filter for this front 120mm fan, the only way I could access it again to clean it of dust is to remove the front bezel. And I can only access the points to remove the front bezel by removing the case cover. So ma-fan.

*ADD: I have since replaced the Silverstone AP 120mm with a CM XtraFlo PWM 120mm. This was only due to the fact that I didnt really like the way the red LEDs looked on the AP. The red light wasn't diffused enough. The XtraFlo, however looks really awesome. Performance wise, doesn't really matter for such a short case. As long as the fan moves air with relative silence, its fine by me. Looks, however, are everything.

Then, I carefully slotted in the i3 CPU into its socket and secured it. For the HSF; that really irritated me. In honesty, I did half-expect such a thing to happen: that eventually while trying to fit the two plastic sockets of the Arctic Freezer 11 low-profile; one side wouldn't fit; due to a protruding plastic overlapping the 4-pin ITX power connector. Hence, nothing I could do but take that plastic piece and saw and file away the protruding plastic bit. Wasn't very effective, because eventually the plastic came off to reveal metal beneath, and still it wouldn't fit. So no choice, but I had to be satisfied with securing the HSF on three corners only.

See what a tight fit it the HSF is on the tiny mobo -

It barely clears the ram! And yes, if you have noticed it - the two copper heat-pipes are overlapping the PCI-e slot. But no other working configuration of this HSF was possible, unless I removed the north-bridge which is a tad high on this Zotac board, and reversed the HSF in the opposite direction.

Fortunately, I have no plans to have a card in that slot; but if I do in the future want to get one, say a discrete GPU card, then I am going to have to 1) use the stock HSF or buy a $79 Prolimatech Samuel 17, 2) Try to bend the heatpipes out of the way, or 3) just remove the NB heatsink and reseat the cooler.

Next, for the PSU. That went in without much trouble, but it then added to the complexity of the whole thing because now, the cables really come into play. Over the course of the night, (yes, it was now nighttime) I had to bend the power supply cables over and over and over again in all sorts of weird contortions to get optimum arrangement - or just to get them to fit in a nice way - to the point where I was afraid I would break some of them. See below:

Notice the problem now?

Yep, when the tray holding the ODD and SDD goes in; there will be NO MORE space. Like this:

{Wait, how did that 80mm CM slim fan
    get squeezed in there, next to the PSU !?!}

Notice the 24-pin PSU-Mobo cable just next to the left of the DVD drive. That got so contorted, had to be forced with all my might, to the side when the ODD tray went it. Therefore, I took out my dad's hacksaw (I wish to God I had a dremel, it would make everything that much simpler) and started cutting into deadspace there on the left side of the ODD tray, to secure a little channel where the 24-pin cable would not need to be squeezed so. That took me an hour. The blue paint is acrylic paint that I hope will protect the exposed metal from rusting.

Anyone remember the 3.5" HDD? That was the last hurdle to be cleared. It wasn't easy, because fitting the 3.5" tray in, under the ODD tray meant that a lot of cables had to be cleared out of the way and to the left of the cage; including the 24pin and 4 pin powersupply cable. At the same time, a proliferation of SATA cables and SATA power cables were in the way.

Finally, I managed to clear the SATA cables to one side, and the molex cables to the other. An almost at the end of the first day/night of assembly shot is here:

You see, the stupid 3.5" tray covers the outlet for the 2.5" dock.. leaving only a very little hole at the right side for my power and data cable to my SSD. I think that I was suppose to oriented my SDD's and HDD's power and data connectors to face the other, right, side, but that wouldnt make sense because the motherboard SATA ports were on the left hand side; and I didnt want a nightmare of 3 SATA cables running across, hanging over the motherboard.

But anyway in the end, it worked. Here is a picture of the carnage left behind on my desk at 4 am in the morning.

Amazingly, to me, the newly minted system booted up without a trouble, and I saw this lovely, lovely screen.

It was on to the software side of things, but that was for another day....

[To be continued]

Last edited by Lost_gool; Nov 14th, 11 at 06:17 PM.
    ~

~

SOFTWARE AND TROUBLESHOOTING

** CHAPTER 4 **

I am going to skip this chapter because 1) I'm too lazy to think of anything to write; 2) I was too lazy to attempt Ubuntu, so its back to ol' comfortable Windows 7 home premium 64-bit; and 3) There really was no troubleshooting to speak off. While I can't say the whole setup was as smooth as I'd liked it to be; after it was all done, except for some self-improving add-ons and hardware changes and returning to reattempt cable management, I haven't had any trouble to date with this build ever since Win 7 booted for the first time.

To make it up, here are some peeks. Enjoy.

More vanity peeks in the next post, as well as final words, to wrap up this, my first ITX work-log.
    Last edited by Lost_gool; Nov 28th, 11 at 05:44 PM.
    ~

~

LESSONS LEARNT, FINAL THOUGHTS
    ** CHAPTER 5 **

IN Conclusion,

Slightly over 1 month has passed since I grabbed an excuse to dabble in mITX SFF builds by building my own one. I've over-exceeded budget, I've sold my gaming rig to finance this mITX build, and I have become that bit more experience in this niche.

Finally, I am proud and overjoyed to say that this build is now completed to my utmost satisfaction; and here this baby is humming happily and silently to itself as I type these words out.

Final specifications are:

Intel core i3-2100 65W TDP - Zotac H67-WiFi-C-E cooled by a Scythe Shuriken Rev.B
    Team Elite
    1333MHz CL9 8GB ram
    Crucial M4 64GB SATAIII for system drive, with WD Caviar Green 500GB SATAII and a GoFlex Desk 1TB USB3.0 for storage
    FSP 300W SFX PSU in a Silverstone SG05 case, with a CoolerMaster XtraFlo 120MM red (taken off a V6) pulling air in @ 1350rpm thru the front grills and a CoolerMaster Slim 80mm fan exhausting air @ about 900rpm out the top vents
    (the PSU also has an 80mm fan pushing air out of its vents at the back of the case)
    ODD is a
    Samsung Slim trayloading DVD writer
    Blingbling in the form of 3 red LED strips, thanks to Justin
    It's running on
    Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

Lessons Learnt

Allow me to distill some of the finer points I have learnt from building an ITX rig, as I think of them.

1) ITX PSUs must always be sleeved. For that little more convenience when doing cable management, tidiness and looks. I wish they would soon come out with modular SFX PSUs.

2) Part of the experience of making an ITX will be cable management. Planning in advance is handy, as is getting tools like cableholders, paperclips, masking tape, etc ready on hand, but always remember to let creativity rule when deciding how to rout or hide your cables. Out of sight, out of mind, I always say.

I know I curse alot about it, but secretly I find it yet another fun part of building an ITX.

3) If one chooses to go with a suitable 3rd-party HSF, it is crucial to well-research whether it will clear your motherboard. To that end, try to bring your motherboard to the shop to physically test it's fit out. It's like trying on clothes for fit.

4)More points to be added. If they come to me.
    Last edited by Lost_gool; Nov 30th, 11 at 02:32 PM.
    ~

~

Note that this is an on-going project, and I will make updates as and when I can, and I am in no rush to finish this build.

Please, since this is my first ITX build ever, be kind to me; as I have little experience.

I will really appreciate any constructive feedback you care to leave, and any nuggets of advice that will help make things easier for me are definitely welcome. Therefore, feel free to comment constructively. If you have any questions, post them here too, and I will try to answer them to the best of my ability.

Hope you enjoy reading!
    Last edited by Lost_gool; Nov 14th, 11 at 06:00 PM.
    ~

~

*CHANGE-LOG*

26/10 - Thread started
    26/10 - "Starting Thoughts" added
    28/10 - Chapter 1 added
    29/10 - Addendum added to Chapter 1 - CPU Comparisons
    29/10 - Chapter 2 started, Price list added
    01/11 - Chapter 2 completed.
    14/11 - Chapter 3 completed.
    28/11 - Chapter 4 discarded.
    28/11 - Last chapter concluded.
    28/11 - Log ended.

Look forward to my next ITX/mATX log - which I promise will feature SLi/Crossfire!

Last edited by Lost_gool; Nov 28th, 11 at 05:46 PM.
    ~

~

Note to self: Love the thrill of shopping for parts! I probably love buying components as much as a girl loves to shop for clothes.
    ~

~

Yes. Nothing quite like retail therapy.

DF

Durian Dragon Dranyago! See this Dragon Meow!

Views expressed are my own and are not representative of that of VR-Zone.
    Posts made when executing moderator duties after 20150301 will be in bold purple
    Note that Friend requests will be declined without exception. Do not send me any.

You're going to want some carefully planned cable management with ITX.
    It is better to remain silent and be taken as a fool, than to speak and prove your ignorance beyond doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonFire View Post
    Yes. Nothing quite like retail therapy.

DF

Quote Originally Posted by rickysio
    You're going to want some carefully planned cable management with ITX.
    Suggestions would be welcomed! Actually I decided for going with a mATX case, not ITX. Exactly because ITX case would be too damn cramped. Most ITX cases I couldn't find good ventilation, at least not as good as the SG05. Except the in-win Wavy II, but that was also a little small for me. I still want space; in case I need to turn this rig into a respectable gaming build in the future (read: needs to be able to fit a full length dual slot GPU card).

Not good - Expenditure has run into 450ish already. What's left is my Mobo and CPU. I will very probably exceed budget. I get so carried away I will put up a list of the prices + price comparision with retail soon.
    Last edited by Lost_gool; Oct 27th, 11 at 06:06 PM.
    ~

~

So is it a mITX or mATX build now? Not much point going for a mITX board with a mATX case.

And did you consider the SG07? It's a pretty good case except that they force a PSU on you.
    It is better to remain silent and be taken as a fool, than to speak and prove your ignorance beyond doubt.

Wait sorry, I am still going for a ITX case - I mistakenly thought that the SG05 was a mATX. Just bought a second hand SG05 for $110. I did consider the SG07, but something about the fan slot in the middle of the front of the SG05 really appeals to me. I'm gonna put a Red 120mm Air Penetrator there.
    ~

~

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast