[VRZ]Kababoom

STI : Kite caused Philippine helicopter crash

May 3, 2007, 2.40 pm (Singapore time)
    Kite caused Philippine helicopter crash

MANILA - THE string from a child's kite was responsible for the crash of a Philippine military helicopter that killed nine people, the head of the country's air force said on Thursday.
    Although the full report on the crash on April 28 has not been released, Lieutenant General Horacio Tolentino said a kite string appeared to be the likely cause.

He said that Muslim rebels had used kites to disable air force helicopters in the past.

However terrorist involvement is not suspected in the latest incident.

Mr Tolentino said crash survivor Captain Allan Villagarcia told him that the aircraft was flying perfectly and was just about to land in the central island of Cebu when a kite got entangled in the rotor blades.

'There was no problem with the engine. It (the kite string) caused the stoppage of the rotor,' Mr Tolentino said.

He said the nylon kite string was found still entangled, just below the main rotor blade.

The Vietnam-era UH-1H 'Huey' helicopter, carrying four people on a training flight, went down on a crowded street, killing seven people on the ground and two members of the crew.

Mr Tolentino said the kites were being flown in an area where kite flying is banned to avoid endangering aircraft. But, despite this, the air force has no plans to charge anyone.

'We are not blaming anyone for what has happened. It is not the intention of the people flying the kites to cause accidents,' he said. -- AFP

-------------------------------------------------

Warning - dun anyhow fly kite.

Sounds like a myth to me.

I mean.. unless that kid's kite gotta be damn big and that the string is made of metal wire/chains or something thick.

with my experience with R/C choppers, a typical kite's string will just break upon getting jammed in my axle shafts or other linking components. It will only sometimes cause great vibrations, but still under control and able to land gently. I mean.. in terms of scale, the typical kite's string could be the size of a garden hose to a real chopper.
    Last edited by FusionTiger; May 3rd, 07 at 03:45 PM.
    Et Earello.. Endorenna utulien.. Sinome maruvan.. ar Hildinyar.. tenn' Ambar-metta~

Quote Originally Posted by FusionTiger
    Sounds like a myth to me.

I mean.. unless that kid's kite gotta be damn big and that the string is made of metal wire/chains or something thick.

with my experience with R/C choppers, a typical kite's string will just break upon getting jammed in my axle shafts or other linking components. It will only sometimes cause great vibrations, but still under control and able to land gently. I mean.. in terms of scale, the typical kite's string could be the size of a garden hose to a real chopper.
    what have they been flying ? the alien mothership ?

WA I DIN KNOW IS SO POWER [email protected]@@@@@@

no wonder cannot fly kite at east coast got plane .... hmm ...
    Small_kid

kite > helicopter.

a string to rule them all.

some kind of Anti heli weapon ?

I don't think a thin nylon string can bring down a helicopter...

i think they used spiderman's silk web string to fly the kite. as you know, silk string is stronger than steel wor. ahem...
    Invisible signature on the right ===>>>

[VRZ]Kababoom
    Quote Originally Posted by Asimof
    i think they used spiderman's silk web string to fly the kite. as you know, silk string is stronger than steel wor. ahem...
    Spidy spotted in Phillippines!!!

If its a kite, terrorists will know wat to do next.

BUT

HOW CAN A KITE CAUSE A DISASTER OF SUCH MAGNITUDE?

Shouldnt the string on the kite snapped when the helicopter or the chopper above interacts with it?
    Macbook Lion | X32 Crunchbang Linux | EeePC 900 Ubuntu | Core i5-3450 Desktop Win7 | iPad 2 | iPod Touch 4G | Samsung Galaxy S2

well....

for starters, an ak47 round can down an apache...

you and your ak47
    Never EVER drive faster than your Guardian Angel can FLY!

Quote Originally Posted by ktk
    well....

for starters, an ak47 round can down an apache...
    a simple pebble can take down an apache, you just gotta hit it in the correct spot..

What's with you and AK47 anyway?
    Et Earello.. Endorenna utulien.. Sinome maruvan.. ar Hildinyar.. tenn' Ambar-metta~