Page 121 of 122 FirstFirst ... 2171111119120121122 LastLast
Results 1,801 to 1,815 of 1823
    Rich green tea ice cream and azuki red beans from Hokkaido’s Tokachi encased in a fish-shaped wafer flown all the way from the Land of the Rising Sun. This Taiyaki Uji Matcha Ice Cream (S$2.20) from Chateraise is such a delight to the eyes as well as the palate and it hides a surprise in the form of a thin layer of crispy white chocolate to give it a little crunchiness.

Latest Makan's pictures:

Buffetlicious

Note: When replying to my post that consist picture(s), avoid including the picture(s) in the quoted reply to save screen space and having to view the same set of pictures multiple times.

Duck Noodle from Yu Kee Duck Rice (友記家傳鴨飯). Love that savoury dark sauce with the thin noodle, braised duck and thick cubes of fishcake.

Latest Makan's pictures:

Buffetlicious

Note: When replying to my post that consist picture(s), avoid including the picture(s) in the quoted reply to save screen space and having to view the same set of pictures multiple times.

It is a long-held tradition for most Chinese people to reunite with their families during Chinese New Year. People return home from work or study to have Reunion Dinner (年夜饭, 团年饭 or 团圆饭) with their families on Chinese New Year Eve. It is often considered the most important get-together meal of the entire year. In consideration that my niece has to work on that day, we decided to have our dinner one week in advance at Xing Hua Delights (回味轩兴化菜馆).

Xing Hua Delights (回味轩兴化菜馆)
    7 Jalan Legundi
    Singapore 759272
    Tel: 6669 4036

Opening hours: Daily 11am to 10pm

Rather than selecting from the set menu, we opted to pick the dishes from the Al Carte Menu. Starting off with the refreshing home-made cold Barley Drinks. The dishes were served rather quickly, one after the other in the order as shown in these pictures.

This simple looking Tomato Scrambled Eggs (西红柿炒蛋) opened up our appetite with its hint of sharpness from the ripe tomatoes to complement the fluffy eggs. My brother asked for the Hotplate Bean Curd (铁板豆腐) with prawns.

Their signature Red Rice Vinesse Chicken (招牌红糟鸡) has tender pieces of chicken soaked in red rice wine sauce. This dish with its fragrant aroma is good to go with white rice.

Latest Makan's pictures:

Buffetlicious

From this Deep Fried Squirrel Fish with Fruits (水果松鼠鱼) one can see the deftly knife skill of the chef. The picture on the menu actually decorated the fish to look like a squirrel but ours look more like a hedgehog. Taste wise, it was that of sweet and sour fish with fruity tangy tones imparted from the lychee and pineapple.

We ordered this boneless Pork Rib Deluxe (排骨王) for my niece and nephews because they would enjoy it. While us adults tucked into this Bean Curd Kailan (豆皮芥兰) which my sis recommended.

I love the creamy broth of this Amaranth Soup (上汤苋菜) with its three-egg ingredients of century egg, salted duck egg and chicken egg. The taste of this dish is so mellow and homely, hitting all the right spots.

This deceptively simple looking Stir-Fried Yam (酥炒香芋) garnished with just chopped spring onion is surprisingly easy on the palate. Thick fingers of yam lightly rolled in flour, deep-fried then coated with a malty sweet glaze. The crisp exterior and soft earthy flavour of the tuber enhanced by the sweetness of the glaze.

Another favourite of the younger family members was the Prawn Paste Chicken (虾酱鸡) with it crispy skin and plump juicy flesh. Definitely one of the better version I have ever eaten. There was much to like of the Salted Egg Prawn (咸蛋虾球) that came with a savoury creamy sauce that allowed the sweetness of the prawns to come through.

The last dish of the night was the Xinghua Braised Pork (兴化封肉). Thick slab of pork belly, slow braised till only the collagen is left and the meat so tenderly soft, it almost melt in the mouth. Throw in some branches of broccoli to meet the plant-based fibre requirement. A piece of this pork and a mouthful of the gravy coated rice, I am in heaven!

Just in case you are interested, here is the Receipt for the meal. No service charge or GST required. Looking at the bill, we finished 11-course dinner in less than an hour! I think it is a record for my family. To summarize, just as what my brother said, every dish is pretty tasty and the prices are reasonably affordable. I will definitely patronize this establishment again.

Latest Makan's pictures:

Buffetlicious

Chinese New Year or Lunar New Year (农历新年) is the Chinese festival that celebrates the beginning of a new year on the traditional Chinese calendar. The festival is usually referred to as the Spring Festival (春节) in mainland China. During this period, the largest annual human migration (almost 3 billion passenger-journeys) in the world begins in China, 15 days before Lunar New Year’s Day and lasts for around 40 days as people rushed home to be with their families. The first day of Chinese New Year begins on the new moon that appears between 21 January and 20 February. In 2020, the first day of the Chinese New Year is on Saturday, 25 January, initiating the Year of the Rat. Taking this opportunity wish everyone a Happy and Prosperous Lunar New Year.

The God of Fortune (财神爷) giving us a hint on the soon to be open 4D numbers. And according to the Zodiac Monkey 2020 general forecast, my lucky numbers for this year is 7 and 16.

While we celebrate Chinese New Year, there are some food or fruits that are a must during this period of celebration.

• Mandarin Oranges - The Cantonese pronunciation of giving mandarin oranges - “song gam” - is the same as “giving gold”, therefore it signifies wishing prosperity upon the recipient.

• Bak Kwa - Barbecued pork jerky is a delicacy that is said to have originated from Fujian province in China, where the people were poor and where meat was a festive treat reserved for Chinese New Year. To make the treat last longer, the pork was sliced thinly, marinated with sugar and spices, air-dried and cooked over a hot plate. The delicacy subsequently made its way to Singapore, where the pork slices are usually air-dried, then grilled over charcoal for a sweet and smoky flavour. Beyond being tasty, the jerky is also called “long yoke” in Cantonese, which means to have good fortune.

• Snacks - Pineapple tarts are said to be taken from the Straits Chinese or Peranakans’ cookie repertoire, which later found their way to become a must-eat during the festive season. The Cantonese term for pineapple is “wong lai” - which conveys the idea of ushering in prosperity.

Some Info from here and here.
    Last edited by CoralRed; Jan 26th, 20 at 12:09 PM.
    Latest Makan's pictures:

Buffetlicious

Yu Sheng (魚生) or Prosperity Toss, also known as lo hei (Cantonese for 捞起) is a Cantonese-style raw fish salad. It usually consists of strips of raw fish (sometimes salmon), mixed with shredded vegetables and a variety of sauces and condiments, among other ingredients. There is also a vegetarian version of this dish, where the fish is replaced with soy “fish”, which resembles salmon. Yu sheng literally means “raw fish” but since “fish (魚)” is commonly conflated with its homophone “abundance (余)”, Yú shēng (魚生) is interpreted as a homophone for Yú shēng (余升) meaning an increase in abundance. Therefore, yu sheng is considered a symbol of abundance, prosperity and vigor.

The salmon for this Prosperity Toss bought at Sushi Express (爭鮮) was especially good due to their fat content. That is just about the only good thing to say about it as sauce wise, it wasn’t sweet enough, coming through as savoury and the “Gold” or pillow crackers while crunchy was more salty than needed.

Info Credit
    Last edited by CoralRed; Feb 2nd, 20 at 02:11 PM.
    Latest Makan's pictures:

Buffetlicious

Mum wanted to do last minutes marketing at Chong Pang wet market on Chinese New Year Eve so both me and my sister accompanied her. Unfortunately, most stalls were already closed for the holiday so she just buy from whoever were open for business. For the food stalls, at least more than half were still operating but many had long queues. I just chose one that has no queue which happened to be this Malay stalls selling Nasi Ayam Penyet (S$5.50). Nasi means rice in Malay and Ayam Penyet is Javanese for smashed fried chicken. This East Javanese cuisine consisting of fried chicken that is smashed with the pestle against mortar to make it softer, served with sambal, slices of cucumbers, fried tofu and tempeh. Ayam penyet is known for its spicy sambal, which is made with a mixture of chilli, anchovies, tomatoes, shallots, garlics, shrimp paste, tamarind and lime juice. Like its namesake, the mixture is then smashed into a paste to be eaten with the dish.

Some info from here.
    Latest Makan's pictures:

Buffetlicious

Quote Originally Posted by CoralRed View Post
    [SIZE="3"]Nasi Ayam Penyet (S$5.50). Nasi means rice in Malay and Ayam Penyet is Javanese for smashed fried chicken. This East Javanese cuisine consisting of fried chicken that is smashed with the pestle against mortar to make it softer, served with sambal, slices of cucumbers, fried tofu and tempeh. Ayam penyet is known for its spicy sambal, smashed into a paste to be eaten with the dish.
    Don't see any fried tofu and tempeh. Happened to have nasi ayam penyet for lunch at a hawker centre near Outram. There was no tofu or tempeh either. It was yucky so wasted my calories. My next table diner also declared to his companion that it was bland. Yet there was a long queue and most ordered the dish.

Quote Originally Posted by chaozhouzi View Post
    Don't see any fried tofu and tempeh. Happened to have nasi ayam penyet for lunch at a hawker centre near Outram. There was no tofu or tempeh either. It was yucky so wasted my calories. My next table diner also declared to his companion that it was bland. Yet there was a long queue and most ordered the dish.
    This one don't come with tofu or tempeh. My office's canteen version they do come with tofu and tempeh for I think $3.50 or was it $4.
    Latest Makan's pictures:

Buffetlicious

For the last few years, our canteen’s operator has been organizing the Abalone Yusheng Lunch though price per person had gone up by S$3 to S$15. But this year we have gotten louder and more colourful with the addition of Lion and Dragon Dance. As the datanggu (drum), cymbals and gongs started playing, everyone with their chopsticks in hand began tossing the shredded vegetables while saying various auspicious wishes out loud.

You also get to choose beforehand whether you want a Chicken Cutlet or Breaded Fish Fillet with fried rice and a side of stir-fried cabbage. Free flow drinks is included to wash down the foods.

Latest Makan's pictures:

Buffetlicious

Lion Dance (舞狮) is a form of traditional dance in Chinese culture and other Asian countries in which performers mimic a lion’s movements in a lion costume to bring good luck and fortune. The lion dance is usually performed during the Chinese New Year and other Chinese traditional, cultural and religious festivals. It may also be performed at important occasions such as business opening events, special celebrations or wedding ceremonies, or may be used to honour special guests by the Chinese communities. There are two main forms of the Chinese lion dance, the Northern Lion (北狮) and the Southern Lion. Seen here is the Southern Lion (南狮) and everyone is trying to pet it for good luck.

Dragon Dance (舞龙) is often performed during Chinese New Year. Chinese dragons are a symbol of China’s culture, and they are believed to bring good luck to people, therefore the longer the dragon is in the dance, the more luck it will bring to the community. The dragons are believed to possess qualities that include great power, dignity, fertility, wisdom and auspiciousness. The appearance of a dragon is both fearsome and bold but it has a benevolent disposition, and it was an emblem to represent imperial authority. The movements in a performance traditionally symbolize historical roles of dragons demonstrating power and dignity.

After enjoying both the lunch and culture performance, it is time for the Lucky Draw . Our canteen boss had sponsored two gift hampers, one each for the two lunch sessions. Fret not if you did win the hamper, as each one get a Goodies Bag containing a pair of mandarin oranges and a S$2 4D ticket.

Lion & Dragon Dance info from here and here.
    Latest Makan's pictures:

Buffetlicious

Walking by Din Tai Fung (鼎泰豐) at Northpoint City, there is always a queue at the entrance during meal hours. Even though the items there are rather pricey, they still managed to attract a string of customers willing to pay for it. I have been to their other branches around Singapore and I can vouch for its high food standard. This time, my sis also tacked along with mum and me for an early dinner before the evening peak meal hours.

Din Tai Fung (鼎泰豐)
    Northpoint City
    1 Northpoint Drive
    South Wing
    #B1-107
    Singapore 768019

Business Hours
    Monday to Friday: 11am - 10pm
    Saturday, Sunday & PH: 10am - 10pm

Sis recommended the Lemongrass Juice (香茅汁) S$4.80++. Hmmm, I didn’t know lemongrass even has juice. Should be call a drink rather than juice since you boil the smashed stalks with loads of water to brew it. Anyway, the ice cubes used are frozen lemongrass water so as not to dilute the taste of the drink. Such a nice thought of them.

First up, the delightful cold appetizer of Fragrant Pork with Crushed Garlic (蒜泥白肉) S$8.30++. Thin slivers of succulent poached pork enveloping crunchy cucumbers and topped with garlic sauce, sesame and spring onions. The lightly spicy black sauce highlighted the flavours of the pork adding dimension to it. Good eat.

Next up, Noodle with Minced Pork in Bean Sauce (炸酱面) S$9.80++. Handmade noodles cooked to a pleasantly springy consistency tossed with minced pork in bean sauce. The minced meat is not the highlight here but rather the generous slices of mushroom.

You cannot visit Din Tai Fung without ordering a basket or two of their Steamed Pork Dumplings (小笼包); S$10.30++ for 10 dumplings. They are sometime also called soup dumplings as can be seen in the picture below. Din Tai Fung’s signature rendition consists of juicy meat filling wrapped in a melt-in-your-mouth skin with a minimum of 18 exquisite folds. They have managed to make the dumpling’s skin thin yet strong without tearing when lifting up with chopsticks.

Latest Makan's pictures:

Buffetlicious

There is no denying, Din Tai Fung boasts one of the most delicious fried rice in Singapore. Somehow, the chefs are able to dish out light and fluffy rice using minimal seasoning yet boasts amazing taste and fragrance. Although their signature rice dish is supposed to be the one with shrimps, we chose the Fried Rice with Pork Chop (排骨蛋饭) S$13++ which was very delicious too. The rice with its natural fragrance of the eggs and spring onions shines through minus the greasiness often associated with this type of dish. Best of all, no need to take gulps of water to wash away the dryness of the mouth from all the extra seasonings added. Simple pleasure is good too. And oh, the pork chop is tender and well-seasoned, went well with the rice.

These Steamed Sesame Buns (芝麻包) at S$5.40++ for 3s are rather smallish in size. But what they lack in size, the finely grinded black sesame seeds paste filling compensated with its fragrance.

Biting into these Steamed Red Bean Dumplings with Chocolate Lava (巧克力红豆沙小笼包) and the luscious lava of premium European chocolate and red bean paste oozes out of the delicate dumpling skin. These divine treats are priced at S$8.80++ for 6 pieces.

Had to wait for a while for this S$2++ Steamed Custard Bun (流沙包) to be served but it was well worth the wait. Gently peeling the soft, fluffy bun and out rushes a smooth and creamy flow of salted egg yolk goodness. The sweet and savoury golden lava filling glaze the palate with its rich smooth texture.

Overall, a good experience at Din Tai Fung (鼎泰豐), both service and food were excellent. There are still a number of food items on the menu I have yet to taste so I will be back again on another day.
    Latest Makan's pictures:

Buffetlicious

Quote Originally Posted by CoralRed View Post
    There is no denying, Din Tai Fung boasts one of the most delicious fried rice in Singapore. Somehow, the chefs are able to dish out light and fluffy rice using minimal seasoning yet boasts amazing taste and fragrance. Although their signature rice dish is supposed to be the one with shrimps, we chose the Fried Rice with Pork Chop (排骨蛋饭) S$13++ which was very delicious too. The rice with its natural fragrance of the eggs and spring onions shines through minus the greasiness often associated with this type of dish. Best of all, no need to take gulps of water to wash away the dryness of the mouth from all the extra seasonings added. Simple pleasure is good too. And oh, the pork chop is tender and well-seasoned, went well with the rice.

Overall, a good experience at Din Tai Fung (鼎泰豐), both service and food were excellent. There are still a number of food items on the menu I have yet to taste so I will be back again on another day.
    agree that their fried rice is nice..the spin-offs everywhere are just lacking in that small small bit..

anyway, do try their crispy prawn pancake and the steamed chicken soup..my gf likes their oriental salad and crispy onion pancake with duck (but both of which i thought are overpriced)
    Way Of The Dragon: From a distance - 20 paddlers move in perfect rhythm to a muted drum beat, gracefully skimming the water's surface. Up close - determined grunts and strained sinews with oars in grip, dig vigorously into the water. The majestic head of the dragon fronts this contraption but the real heart lies just behind it, at the apex of the bow. Like a conductor of an orchestra, the drummer leads his crew with the calculated beat of his drum. Such is the realm of dragon boating.

Rig Overhaul! 20/06/2014:
    | Asrock B85M Pro 4 + Intel i5 4460 Haswell | Zotac GTX760 AMP! Edtn GDDR5 2GB | G.Skill RipJaws-X DDR3-1600 CL9 4GB x 2 | Toshiba 2TB SATA3 | Crucial MX100 128GB SATA3 | Western Digital 320GB SATA2 | LG SATA 20x DVDRW | FSP Aurum S Gold 600W | Lian Li PC007AIM |

Quote Originally Posted by SYY View Post
    agree that their fried rice is nice..the spin-offs everywhere are just lacking in that small small bit..

anyway, do try their crispy prawn pancake and the steamed chicken soup..my gf likes their oriental salad and crispy onion pancake with duck (but both of which i thought are overpriced)
    Will try those two dishes you mentioned. Yeah, their pricing are on the high side but the food is good.
    Latest Makan's pictures:

Buffetlicious

Page 121 of 122 FirstFirst ... 2171111119120121122 LastLast