Page 141 of 142 FirstFirst ... 4191131139140141142 LastLast
Results 2,101 to 2,115 of 2119
    Whether you called it Min Chiang Kueh (面煎粿/曼煎粿), Apam Balik or simply Peanut Pancake, it is a nostalgic snack many had eaten from since young. These pancakes typically come in a paper thin crispy version (below image) or a thick chewier dough in a variety of fillings with these three being the most common – Peanut, Coconut and Red Bean Paste.

These are the thick chewier version of the Peanut Pancakes (S$0.90) which is cooked in a large pan and folded in half before slicing into smaller portions to be sold in individually. The seller typically only has one such pan so if you want a different filling, you have got to wait for the next batch.

But nowadays, you will also find single sized portion like these sealed Min Chiang Kueh (S$0.90). The peanut filling is basically just crushed peanuts and sugar while the coconut filling is fried with orange sugar which is actually granulated Gula Merah (Palm Sugar) dyed with orange food colouring.

Image Credit
    Latest Makan's pictures:

Buffetlicious

Note: When replying to my post that consist picture(s), avoid including the picture(s) in the quoted reply to save screen space and having to view the same set of pictures multiple times.

Today we had mum’s braised skinless Chicken Drumstick with Mushroom & Egg for dinner. Together with stewed tofu, it is another of our typical home-cooked meal. Love the cloves of garlic that has gotten soft and sweet in the braising process and the earthy shiitake mushrooms which has soaked up all the flavours in the braising sauce.

Latest Makan's pictures:

Buffetlicious

Note: When replying to my post that consist picture(s), avoid including the picture(s) in the quoted reply to save screen space and having to view the same set of pictures multiple times.

Ever since Hokkaido’s Bake Cheese Tart closed its final outlet and exited the Singapore market at the end of October 2019 and coupled with the lockdown due to COVID-19, I have been craving for the taste of it. Enter Hokkaido Baked Cheese Tart, an imitation product by Malaysian food and beverage company Secret Recipe. While the taste profile is similar enough, Bake’s tart has a stronger cheese flavour with a nicer texture to the cheese mousse and a crust that crumbles beautifully. But at least the Hokkaido Baked Cheese Tart wins with its S$2.90 price tag versus Bake’s S$3.50.

Latest Makan's pictures:

Buffetlicious

Bought two trays of sushi for dinner from Sushi Express (爭鮮) on the way home from work. One of them is the Classic Salmon Set (S$5.50) with Ikura (seasoned salmon roe), raw chopped salmon, salmon and salmon with onion & mayo.

The other tray is the Mixed Seafood Set at S$4.50 comprising two sushi each of cooked prawn, octopus, seasoned chopped octopus, scallop and tobiko (seasoned flying fish roe).

Latest Makan's pictures:

Buffetlicious

For their 28th anniversary, PrimaDéli (百得利) is offering their All Time Favourite Cakes at just S$28 (U.P. S$43.80, valid for selected 1kg cakes only). I got myself the luscious looking chocolate Truffle cake. The top of the cake is cover in glossy chocolate glaze and dusted with chocolate shavings at the edge. Swirls of truffle and butter cream dotted one half of the surface with squares and rounds of both white and dark chocolate embedded in-between. A few scattered golden chocolate pearls gave it the glitter. Inside the cake are several layers of alternating chocolate sponges and truffle cream sandwhich. The first forkful gave you the semi-bitter sweet chocolatey, I am in heaven feeling. The texture of the cake is moist, firm but soft, encouraging you to eat more without the guilty feeling of overindulgent as the cream within is just thin layers. At this price, it is a no-brainer. Just grab and run but make sure to pay first.

Image Credit
    Latest Makan's pictures:

Buffetlicious

Today Takeaway Lunch is healthier and less oily than usual with steamed pork patty topped with a small piece of salted egg yolk, a large serving of stir-fried bok choy and steamed fish fillet over white rice.

Latest Makan's pictures:

Buffetlicious

Sis got hold of this COVID-19 stay-home recipe for health-giving soup from our local newspaper food column. Food and nutrition play a big role in traditional Chinese medicine (TCM). Supplementing the diet with tonics is part of taking care of one’s health and well-being. The Nutritious Beauty Soup, called Zi Yin Yang Yan Tang (滋阴养颜汤) in Chinese, aims to regulate the body’s internal heat.

Ingredients

• 4.8 litres water
    • 27g dried snow fungus
    • Half a chicken (488g), deskinned and halved
    • 32g yuzhu (Solomon’s seal)
    • 6g dong yang shen (Japanese ginseng)
    • 10g cordycep flowers
    • 6 pieces of dried unfried fish maw (28g)
    • 3 black dates (24g)
    • 4 red dates (16g)
    • 8g wolfberries
    • ¼ tsp salt

Yuzhu or Solomon’s seal is good for the stomach, lungs and skin, Japanese Ginseng is sought after for its energy-boosting properties, Cordycep Flowers are believed to have anti-ageing properties while Red Dates help to nourish the blood.

Fish Maw is rich in protein and beneficial to the lungs while Snow Fungus helps reduce internal heat and moisten both lungs and skin. Both ingredients are also high in collagen which improve skin.

Method

1. Boil 500ml of water. Place snow fungus in a heat-resistant bowl and pour boiling water over it. Soak for 5 minutes. Once the snow fungus is softened, discard the hot water and rinse.
    2. Use a pair of scissors to remove the tough endings.
    3. Rinse the snow fungus and place it in a colander to drain excess water. Set aside.
    4. Bring 1 litre of water to a boil in a pot. Blanch the chicken until there is no visible blood. Remove the chicken and rinse.
    5. In a clean, sturdy pot, bring the remaining water to a boil.
    6. Add the yuzhu, dong yang shen, cordycep flowers, chicken, snow fungus, fish maw, black dates and red dates.
    7. Cover and simmer over low heat for 1 hour and 15 minutes.
    8. Add the wolfberries, cover and simmer for another 10 minutes.
    9. Season with salt. Stir and turn off the heat.
    10. Serve hot.

Makes three to four servings.

PS - Sis substituted the Japanese ginseng with American ginseng and only used red dates in place of the black dates. She also used 3 whole chicken legs instead of half a chicken.

Recipe Source
    Latest Makan's pictures:

Buffetlicious

Quote Originally Posted by CoralRed View Post
    [SIZE="3"]For their 28th anniversary, PrimaDéli (百得利) is offering their All Time Favourite Cakes at just S$28 (U.P. S$43.80, valid for selected 1kg cakes only). I got myself the luscious looking chocolate Truffle cake. The top of the cake is cover in glossy chocolate glaze and dusted with chocolate shavings at the edge. Swirls of truffle and butter cream dotted one half of the surface with squares and rounds of both white and dark chocolate embedded in-between. A few scattered golden chocolate pearls gave it the glitter. Inside the cake are several layers of alternating chocolate sponges and truffle cream sandwhich. The first forkful gave you the semi-bitter sweet chocolatey, I am in heaven feeling. The texture of the cake is moist, firm but soft, encouraging you to eat more without the guilty feeling of overindulgent as the cream within is just thin layers. At this price, it is a no-brainer. Just grab and run but make sure to pay first.
    managed to land my hand on a chocolate truffle too..surprised that i managed to get it via walk in and at around 6pm..

i thought that while its not too sweet and very moist, i thought it to be too creamy (maybe i prefer my cake to be a bit more firm)..nonetheless still a good steal
    Way Of The Dragon: From a distance - 20 paddlers move in perfect rhythm to a muted drum beat, gracefully skimming the water's surface. Up close - determined grunts and strained sinews with oars in grip, dig vigorously into the water. The majestic head of the dragon fronts this contraption but the real heart lies just behind it, at the apex of the bow. Like a conductor of an orchestra, the drummer leads his crew with the calculated beat of his drum. Such is the realm of dragon boating.

Rig Overhaul! 20/06/2014:
    | Asrock B85M Pro 4 + Intel i5 4460 Haswell | Zotac GTX760 AMP! Edtn GDDR5 2GB | G.Skill RipJaws-X DDR3-1600 CL9 4GB x 2 | Toshiba 2TB SATA3 | Crucial MX100 128GB SATA3 | Western Digital 320GB SATA2 | LG SATA 20x DVDRW | FSP Aurum S Gold 600W | Lian Li PC007AIM |

A 500g bag of ready to eat Nonya Achar (S$3.95) from My Nonya Kitchen (娘惹小厨). A trio of cucumbers, carrot and cabbage marinated in an intensely sweet, sour, salty and spicy sauce. Actually was a little spicy and sour for me; I preferred it milder, on the sweeter side while mum complained there are no pineapple in there.

Back to the dinner, which comes with a skinless chicken leg from the Nutritious Beauty Soup (滋阴养颜汤) sis cooked today. For the plant-based fibres, there are the pickled achar and stir-fried bok choy. Ended the dinner with a bowl of the wholesome soup choked with the good stuffs.

Latest Makan's pictures:

Buffetlicious

My Vegetarian Rice brunch has the usual dishes of braised knotted bean curd skin, yummy imitation curry mutton and potato. There is also black pepper mock pork slices to go with the white rice. If I don’t reveals the answer, you did never guessed they aren’t real animal proteins at all.

Latest Makan's pictures:

Buffetlicious

Encouraged by the previous attempts to get the Egg Bread (Gyeran Ppang) to bake right, sis made it again. As you can see, the bread had risen to new heights (pun intended). Turned out that our recently bought oven is not hot enough at the given temperature dial. Adjusting the temperature up a bit more get the job done.

Latest Makan's pictures:

Buffetlicious

There is less cooking this evening, just pan fry the Saba Fish and cook the rice. The other two dishes doesn’t even need to prepare the ingredients, all you need is to scoop them out of the packaging. Two servings of vegetables (Nonya Achar and Kimchi) and one fish with mixed brown & white rice is just about a balanced meal.

Latest Makan's pictures:

Buffetlicious

Brunch is a takeaway box of crispy chicken cutlet, stir-fried cabbage with black fungus and curry chicken & potato over white rice.

Latest Makan's pictures:

Buffetlicious

A simple home-cooked Cabbage Stir-fry with quite a few ingredients of canned abalones, shiitake mushrooms, tomato, carrot and minced pork. Together with a piece of fried salmon and mixed brown & white rice; this is my dinner for the night.

Latest Makan's pictures:

Buffetlicious

Just two dishes for my takeaway Economy Rice lunch from Chong Pang. A delicious large piece of braised chicken thigh and a stewed bean curd stuffed with minced pork.

Latest Makan's pictures:

Buffetlicious

Page 141 of 142 FirstFirst ... 4191131139140141142 LastLast