Page 144 of 144 FirstFirst ... 4494134142143144
Results 2,146 to 2,154 of 2154
    A simple two-dish Lunch of stir-fried hairy gourd (毛瓜) and tender braised chicken drumstick plus white rice.

Latest Makan's pictures:

Buffetlicious

Note: When replying to my post that consist picture(s), avoid including the picture(s) in the quoted reply to save screen space and having to view the same set of pictures multiple times.

The Home Restaurant (回味之家) took over the hole in the wall shop space vacated by Original Cake (源味本鋪) at B1, Sun Plaza. And then another year had gone by before we decided it is time to give the place a try.

The Home Restaurant (回味之家)
    Sun Plaza, #B1-19
    30 Sembawang Drive
    Singapore 757713

My neighbour recommended us to try their Stir-fried White Vermicelli (S$12++) which we ordered the big portion. The bee hoon came soaked in brown gravy with the clams hidden underneath. The stock that gives this dish its soul is packed with umami flavours so every mouthful is such a pleasure to savour.

Next dish is the Herbal Chicken, a whole leg surrounded in an herbs infused gravy. The chicken meat is wonderfully tender with just enough herbs flavour not to overpower the sweetness of the chicken. But at S$9 for just the leg, we think it is rather expensive.

The third and last order is a vegetable dish, Stir-fried Romaine with Fermented Beancurd Sauce (S$8). This may just be your typical salad ingredient but the fermented beancurd really elevated this vegetable to the next flavour level, turning what is look like a simple lettuce stir-fried into something yummy.

PS - Vegetable dishes in Singapore are typically marked up high, that is where their profit margin comes from. Meats dishes are more value for money if you eat outside. So eat your veggies at home.
    Latest Makan's pictures:

Buffetlicious

Note: When replying to my post that consist picture(s), avoid including the picture(s) in the quoted reply to save screen space and having to view the same set of pictures multiple times.

My late breakfast is the Vegetarian Rice from the nearby coffeeshop. Picked up the usual mock curry mutton with potato, sweet & sour pork (not the real meat stuff, of course) and a side of stir-fried vegetable.

Mum had it simpler, just Vegetarian Kway Teow with mock char siu (or char siew). This fake meat look almost like the real barbecued pork other than lacking the charred bits around the edges.

Latest Makan's pictures:

Buffetlicious

When mum visit the coffeeshop with the vegetarian stall, she likes to pick up a few pieces of the Agar Agar (菜燕) which is obtained from red algae. Agar has been used as an ingredient in desserts throughout Asia and also as a solid substrate to contain culture media for microbiological work. Here are three triangle pieces of sweetened alternating layers of agar and agar with coconut milk.

Latest Makan's pictures:

Buffetlicious

Dinner is a crispy skin salmon with stir-fried medley of hairy gourd (毛瓜), shiitake mushroom and tomato. Plus a small serving of mixed brown & white rice with pumpkin.

Latest Makan's pictures:

Buffetlicious

This set of three Chilled Buns was actually from BreadTalk - Taste of Home (家的味道) series of creations when Singapore is celebrating her National Day in August. I completely forgotten to post them until now but better late than never.

For the month of August, a set of three buns was retailing for S$5 instead of S$1.80 each. The one with rose petals is Rosie (玫瑰佳人). Taste just like fresh cream puff but instead of choux pastry (pâte à choux), you get it in a bun setting. Layers of whipped cream and rose custard cream gave it a faint flora scent.

Kaya Prince (咖椰王子) on the left has fragrant pandan coconut jam and whipped cream enveloped in a soft, fluffy tasty bun – a perfect treat for any time of the day. Of the three, I like this bun the best. The chewy softness of this Custard Cloud (白白卡斯达) bun with custard and cream filling make it a delightful and refreshing treat. The ingredient list indicated pistachio but that was just a few crushed pieces for decoration.

Image Credit
    Latest Makan's pictures:

Buffetlicious

Mum came back from the wet market with half a Soya Sauce Chicken and two pieces of Taiwan Sausage (台湾香肠). She also bought packs of flavoured or chicken rice since they are cooked with chicken’s fat to go with the dish.

Latest Makan's pictures:

Buffetlicious

Another of our Home-cooked Dinner, starting off with the clean-peeled Asparagus Stir-fry with minced pork and tomato. Next, a plate of Poached Pork Belly with a drizzle of soya sauce for flavours. Add these new dishes with a small piece of salmon and leftover soya sauce chicken from the afternoon, they formed a substantial plate of foods for the evening.

Latest Makan's pictures:

Buffetlicious

Bak Kwa (肉干) is a Chinese salty-sweet dried meat product similar to jerky. But sorry jerky, our rougan or barbeque pork is superior to that tough and dry piece of meat. Bak kwa is very popular in Singapore and Malaysia where it is traditionally eaten during Chinese New Year. When Chinese immigrants brought this delicacy over to Singapore and Malaysia, it began to take on local characteristics. A notable example lies in the preparation of bak kwa, where the meat is marinated with a myriad of seasonings such as soy sauce, fish sauce, honey and sugar before being grilled to a gloriously smoky finish over charcoal rather than air-dried.

Don’t buy this item during Chinese New Year period if possible as the sellers marked up the prices by a lot due to the demands. Moreover, the bak kwa tends to be oilier and the quality control suffers. Buy them outside of the festival periods where you can get discount up to 50% off instead of paying 50% more.
    Latest Makan's pictures:

Buffetlicious

Page 144 of 144 FirstFirst ... 4494134142143144