Page 152 of 153 FirstFirst ... 52102142150151152153 LastLast
Results 2,266 to 2,280 of 2285
    Three Cheese (三芝三思) bun from BreadTalk. When three is not a crowd – it’s a party of Gouda and Cheddar cheese cubes in salted croissant dough topped with white sauce and Mozzarella cheese. Priced at S$1.90 per bun.

Latest Makan's pictures:

Buffetlicious

Note: When replying to my post that consist picture(s), avoid including the picture(s) in the quoted reply to save screen space and having to view the same set of pictures multiple times.

Home-cooked Pork Ribs Soup with added Yong Tau Foo ingredients like fish balls, fried bean curd puff and bean curd skins with fish paste. Blanched a bunch of leaf lettuce in the broth sweetened with dried scallops and topped with a small scoop of white rice.

Latest Makan's pictures:

Buffetlicious

Note: When replying to my post that consist picture(s), avoid including the picture(s) in the quoted reply to save screen space and having to view the same set of pictures multiple times.

Here is our colourful Salmon Yu Sheng (魚生) from Sakae Sushi. But many of my family members does not take or appreciate raw fish so my sis and I finished off the salmon sashimi ourselves. Anyway, if you are interested in knowing what each ingredients of the dish means. Read on.

• The Raw Fish symbolises abundance and prosperity. The phrases that accompany this ingredient are “Nian Nian You Yu” (年年有鱼/). They mean “Abundance throughout the year”. Not surprising, the sliced fish is considered to be one of the most important ingredients in the raw fish salad.

• The Pomelo is added to the salad right after the fish to add luck. However, it is an optional ingredient. If it is placed in the salad, you can say “Da Ji Da Li” (大吉大利) which means, “Good luck and smooth sailing”.

• The Pepper and Cinnamon Powder are added in next. They both signify a wish for wealth. Like the pomelo they are optional ingredients. The accompanying phrase for pepper and cinnamon powder is, “Zhao Cai Jin Bao” (招财进宝). This means, “Attract wealth and treasures”.

• Oil should be drizzled onto the salad in a circular motion. This is to symbolise that money is coming in from all directions. There are two phrases that accompany this ingredient. “Yi Ben Wan Li” (一本万利) means, “Make 10,000 times of profit with your capital”. “Cai Yuan Guang Jin” (财原广进) means, “Countless sources of wealth”. In some cases, oil is added to the dressing rather than poured directly onto the salad.

• Carrots represent good luck. The phrase to go with this ingredient is “Hong Yun Dang Tou” (鸿运当头) which means, “Good luck is approaching”.

• Green Radish symbolises eternal youth. The appropriate phrase for it is, “Qing Chun Chang Zhu” (青春常驻) which means, “Forever young”. You will want to add this ingredient if you are serving Yusheng to your elders. However, you can leave it out if you so desire.

• White Radish is meant to bring about good business opportunities. The two phrases that go with this ingredient are “Feng Sheng Shui Qi” (风生水起) and “Bu Bu Gao Sheng” (步步高升). They mean “Reaching a higher level with each step” and “Progress at a fast pace”, respectively.

• Crushed Peanuts are sprinkled onto the dish to symbolise that your household will be filled with valuable possessions. As the accompanying phrase goes, “Jin Yin Man Wu” (金银满屋). This means “Household filled with gold and silver”.

• Sesame Seeds are added to the salad right after the crushed peanuts have been sprinkled on top. The sesame seeds represent the hope that your business will flourish in the coming year. The accompanying phrase is “Sheng Yi Xing Long” (生意兴隆) which means, “Prosperity for the business”.

• Golden Crackers symbolise great wealth. Some Chinese New Year raw fish recipe plans add whole wheat crackers instead of gold ones. This is to make the salad healthier than it already is. However, if you want a traditional salad, golden crackers are a must. So is the accompanying phrase, “Bian Di Huang Jin” (遍地黄金). This phrase means, “Floor full of gold”. You could say the same phrase with the whole wheat crackers but it isn’t the same. This is because whole wheat crackers are usually brown, not gold.

• Plum Sauce, like the oil, is poured all over the dish instead of just one spot. This sauce represents the desire for stronger ties with family and friends. The accompanying phrase is, “Tian Tian Mi Mi” (甜甜蜜蜜) which means, “Sweet and loving relationships”.

Information Source
    Last edited by CoralRed; Feb 25th, 21 at 09:42 AM.
    Latest Makan's pictures:

Buffetlicious

Quote Originally Posted by CoralRed View Post
    Fried Arrowhead Chips (炸慈菇脆片) is one of the staple and more popular Chinese New Year snack found in most homes during the festive season. It is crispy, delicious and so addictive that you would not be able to stop once you start munching on them. Though it may look like potato chips, it is in fact made from the bulbs of Sagittaria sagittifoliam, better known as Arrowhead (慈菇) due to the shape of its leaves.
    didnt know they look like that but i love these! kinda like tapioca chips also

Hae Bee Hiam Rolls (蝦米香卷) or Spicy Dried Shrimp Rolls is one of those indispensable Chinese New Year snack. They essentially deep fried mini spring rolls with a spicy dried shrimp filling. Nothing fanciful, yet I find them so irresistible. Maybe it is the crunchiness or the spiciness or even both that Singaporeans just can’t do without this snack during CNY.
    love these too! but this is the source of heatiness (sore throat)..havent found a nice one yet though
    Way Of The Dragon: From a distance - 20 paddlers move in perfect rhythm to a muted drum beat, gracefully skimming the water's surface. Up close - determined grunts and strained sinews with oars in grip, dig vigorously into the water. The majestic head of the dragon fronts this contraption but the real heart lies just behind it, at the apex of the bow. Like a conductor of an orchestra, the drummer leads his crew with the calculated beat of his drum. Such is the realm of dragon boating.

Rig Overhaul! 20/06/2014:
    | Asrock B85M Pro 4 + Intel i5 4460 Haswell | Zotac GTX760 AMP! Edtn GDDR5 2GB | G.Skill RipJaws-X DDR3-1600 CL9 4GB x 2 | Toshiba 2TB SATA3 | Crucial MX100 128GB SATA3 | Western Digital 320GB SATA2 | LG SATA 20x DVDRW | FSP Aurum S Gold 600W | Lian Li PC007AIM |

I adore these plump Pork & Shrimp Dumplings filled with coarsely minced meat and crunchy shrimp. Mum always ordered extra dumplings for me when she buy the noodles at Choo Chiang Roasted Meat Noodle House (珠江烧腊面家).

Latest Makan's pictures:

Buffetlicious

Quote Originally Posted by SYY View Post
    didnt know they look like that but i love these! kinda like tapioca chips also

love these too! but this is the source of heatiness (sore throat)..havent found a nice one yet though
    CNY goodies mostly all are baked or fried so they are usually heaty.
    Latest Makan's pictures:

Buffetlicious

The first time I patronized Tonkotsu Hototogisu (豚骨不如帰) at Causeway Point was before the nationwide partial lockdown, known as the Circuit Breaker kicked in. Finally after more than six months, I am back again, this time with mum.

I went for their signature Charcoal Spare Rib Ramen (S$15.90++) because the last time I was here, I ordered their Black Spicy Ramen Set. As you can see, the portion isn’t really a lot but hey, it is the taste that counts. I cannot fault the taste of the noodles but that charcoal grilled pork rib had little meat clinging to the bone. Although tender, the meat is a little dry due to no fat on it. Would I ordered it again? Probably not.

Mum on the other hand thoroughly enjoyed her bowl of Cha Shu Don (S$10.90++). It comes with two different cuts of pork – one braised and the other grilled over a bed of white rice.

We topped up S$4.90++ for a side of pan-fried Gyoza and cold Houji Tea. These nuggets of crispy pork dumpling is juicy and sweet.

Latest Makan's pictures:

Buffetlicious

Celebrated on the 15th day of the first Chinese lunar month, the Lantern Festival (元宵节) traditionally marks the end of the Chinese New Year period and all New Year decorations are taken down. The Lantern Festival is also the first full moon night in the Chinese calendar, marking the return of spring and symbolizing the reunion of family. Customs and activities vary regionally but includes eating Tang Yuan (汤圆), a Chinese dessert made from glutinous rice flour or check out the dazzling lanterns and performances at River Hongbao (春到河畔) 2021 on TV etc…

As for our family, we are keeping it safe this year so we are staying home watching TV, tossing and enjoying our Prosperity Yu Sheng (发财魚生) to which we added a can of abalones as mum does not like raw fish. At first I placed the abalones all on top but sis said they covered up the colourful strips of vegetables so we rearranged it to the edge. “Huat Ah” as we tossed the ingredients as high as we can without spilling them out of the plate.

Latest Makan's pictures:

Buffetlicious

Customs and activities vary regionally but includes eating Tang Yuan (汤圆), a Chinese dessert made from glutinous rice flour
    那么,今天您吃元宵吗? 或者您知道元宵是什么呢?

Quote Originally Posted by chaozhouzi View Post
    那么,今天您吃元宵吗? 或者您知道元宵是什么呢?

我家不吃汤圆, 我们捞魚生。赏灯就在家看春到河畔电视节目。
    Latest Makan's pictures:

Buffetlicious

Breezed pass Sunlife Durian Puffs & Pastries at Causeway Point countless numbers of time but never paid attention to the food items on display in the glass fridge. Finally one fine day I decided to slow down my pace to survey what is on offer. The Mini Durian Puffs (S$9 for 14pcs/S$14 for 20pcs) caught my eyes so I stopped to enquire about it. The lady staff told me their durian puffs are filled only with 100% pure D24 fresh durian puree, with no additional mix-ins of cream or sugar. She suggested the 20pcs box as it is more value for money. Just like what she told us, the airy choux pastry is filled with pure unadulterated durian flesh so the puffs are gobbled up fast.

Latest Makan's pictures:

Buffetlicious

A pack of Economy Rice from Chong Pang that consisted of a piece of sweet & sour pork, steamed fish fillet and a stir-fry of fried bean curd skin & cabbage.

Latest Makan's pictures:

Buffetlicious

To counter the dull season during the COVID-19 circuit breaker, Pizza Hut Singapore has been offering their pizzas at 50% off. Since mum is not cooking on weekends, we ordered delivery. Paid S$31.15 for both regular sized pan pizzas. Yeah, our pizzas are so much more expensive than in other countries. The Meat Galore is the perfect meat-lover’s choice with chicken ham, pepperoni, minced beef, cabanossi sausages and tomato mozzarella melt.

I normally go for the Seafood Deluxe as it had juicy prawns marinated in spices in addition to succulent squid and tasty tuna found in the cheaper Ocean Delight pizza.

Latest Makan's pictures:

Buffetlicious

A substantial serving of Braised Chicken Feet Noodles (鸡脚面). The feet are deep-fried then braised until tender. You bite off a portion of it, suck at it inside your mouth than spit out the bare bones.

Latest Makan's pictures:

Buffetlicious

A simple Home-cooked Dinner of stir-fried xiao bai cai or bok choy with prawns & tomato and a big piece of lightly floured Emperor Red Snapper Steak (红狮 / Lutjanus sebae) with its crispy skin.

Latest Makan's pictures:

Buffetlicious

Page 152 of 153 FirstFirst ... 52102142150151152153 LastLast