Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

[Help]My boss attempt to make me to work free overtime..

My Job: Im a full time retailer at a certain shopping center kiosk from a certain company. I waiting for school, so only intend to work for a few months. I told my boss about it before, and he said its fine.

My Pay: $1200, 20% commission after $10,000 sales (personal sales, not combined with other retailers). Im setting novelty items ranging from $10 - $25. 6 days work week.

My Schedule: The original schedule is that i will work afternoon shift from monday to friday and sunday. Part Timer A will work morning shift monday to wednesday. Part Timer B will work morning shift Thursday to Saturday. Part Timer C will work afternoon shift on sat and morning shift on sun. In this way, all 14 shifts in a week are filled.

Problem:
    Now Part Timer C is resigning. He find the pay too low as he get the same pay per day as those working on the weekdays. During both sat and sun, he is to work 10 hours, while those on weekdays work only 8 hours, for the same pay per day.

So now boss moves Part Timer A to work on saturday afternoon instead of monday morning. And i am to take full shifts alone during Sunday and Monday.

When i went for the job, he already finalised and set the working hours for me. I even have the email as well as a photo of the time table he drew. Thus i already allocated time in the morning to do my port folio to get into la selle and some self study. I also have appointment with my mentor in the mornings to guide me along.

He has no mention of pay increment for the overtime. Actually i dun want the extra cash, i want my morning to do all the stuff that i planned liao. From the sms, he dun seem to want to hire someone to replace Part Timer C, rather intending to want me to work OT permenatly to cover up for that time slot. He even say that its not unreasonable, as its only like one hour or so.

But it means my already packed morning will have an hour less, and i will need to eat lunch outside, another expenditure as tt shopping center's food is very expensive. Its not just OT, but OT alone, meaning to say that the kiosk that is usually manned by two person will be manned by me alone. How am i going to go toilet? How about my meals?

I feel its very unfair to me, simply use me to replace a resigned staff with not much consideration for my shedule and feelings. Summore im only a temp staff for few months. The worst part is he broke his promise of telling me that no problems with taking afternoon shift, as well as the promised working hours.

I know its recession, but i feel that its not right for the company to do that to me. Sure, i can quit, but i dun feel like as the nature of the job suits me.

u should quit and get a new job
    Laptop: Macbook Pro 15" 2.5Ghz
    Mobile: SE W960i
    Gaming: PSP Phat

i found my school relief teacher one day earn 60 or more than that...

also, sat n sun no working.. not very tough job..

also, times is ok...either 7-1pm or 12-530pm...

hmm, but dunno whether is consitent or not..unless u find a permanent relief teaching...

If you're intending to quit, quit only after getting a job elsewhere

Quote Originally Posted by motosung View Post
    If you're intending to quit, quit only after getting a job elsewhere
    Ok lah, i working to pass time, not supporting family.

the nature of your job has something to do with complaining?

why don't you just talk to your boss?
    Any discussion here will be based upon presumptions and lead to nothing productive nor concrete.
    Red-volution Mk I- 9650 Phenom|Xigmatek Red Scorpion|MSI DKA790GX Platinum|4 x 1 GB Adata| Palit HD4870 1gb|WD Cavier Black 1TB + Samsung Spinpoint F1 750gb + 320gb Maxtor SATA II|Andyson F650|Lancool K7 Metal Bone|X-Sword 2496->ATH M50 & AE A5|Oppo 980HD| Eizo HD2441

Updates -
    Mingda amps|Custom Audiophile cables|An Audioholic Abroad part 1

Current MO -
    Full Aluminium Mini ITX Chassis

Contact me via -
    Msn ID- [email protected]
    Pingchat ID -Theaudiohub
    Join the audiohub facebook fan page

lan lan suck thumb??? u r free to come and go anyway~
    | MSI A88XM GAMING MB + AMD A10-7850K APU | G.SKILL RIPJAW-X 4 x 8GB 2133MHZ CL9 RAM | SAPPHIRE R9-280X TOXIC GPU | SAMSUNG 840 PRO 256GB SSD | TOSHIBA 2TB 7200RPM 64MB CACHE HDD | MICROSOFT SIDEWINDER X6 GAMING KEYBOARD | MAD CATZ R.A.T 9 WIRELESS GAMING MOUSE | SILVERSTONE FORTRESS FT03 BLACK CASING | AOC X X-MEN 23" IPS MONITOR | AOC BORDERLESS 23" IPS MONITOR |

it's not your perm job, don't make yourself lugi ...

i think i saw u at Vivocity
    Am I right?
    rig
    x4 925 phenomII | msi 970a-g45 | nh-c12p-se14 | neohe 550W | kvr ddr3 8gb | gtx460 | audigy 4 | l 3500 | centurion 5 | dru-810a | bx2231 |

hifi
    marantz cd5001 | pcm2706 - 3xtda1543 - lm4562 buffered | nad 325bee integrated amplifier | wharfedale diamond 9.1

i agree, try to talk nicely to your boss and let him understand you point. Maybe both of you can come to a agreement, if die die bo bian u can always quit.

I will try to talk to him nicely. But prior experience with him is that he will give u a very vague answer.

Like he was saying he want to put more accessories in the kiosk, but the kiosk already very packed le. He removed some stuff from a compartment of the kiosk and said he wanna put a monitor there. So i asked those stuff that he just took out, put where? He tell me to "Just..ermm..put..maybe.. somewhere there lah.." Me and my colleague shocked, as its obvious there are no more space left in the tiny kiosk.

Probably, yes im a bit selfish to be ji jiao over that few hours in a week. But its that i had already planned things for myself and made appointments with ppl. I dun think those promises and shedule are any less important than that few hours of business. Though cannot be taken for granted, there is usually no business till afternoon.

Secondly, i dun want my boss to have the impression that "this person is an easy push over". I fear next time he will start pushing non-related jobs to me. Those are roughly what two of my managers advised me on before they quit, due to unhappiness.

Thirdly, the contract states that i am to work by the shedule drawn up by the company. At first we were already given a fixed shedule and plan, he told me my chosen afternoon shift will not be a problem. I dun think its fair and right to extend the working hours by force without compansation. Its not as if i have undone work or owe him smthing.

if there's a contract, u shld liaise with ur boss and abide by it @ all times.

tis is wad a contract is for.

if he's trying to use u, u shld defend urself. all those small small things usually amount to something big and in the end, both parties aint happy.
    Intel i7 2700K |Asus Maximus IV Extreme-Z |Samsung 16GB @ 1600Mhz | Asus Matrix 7970 | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | WD 450GB Velociraptor | Seasonic X-750W GOLD | Filco Brown| Logitech G500 | Creative Premium HD | Klipsch GMX 2.1 | Dell U2412H x3 | Silverstone FT02BW | Thermalright Silver Arrow |

Samsung Galaxy Note 5 64G |

A few hours is still few hours of $$$. End of story. Confirm + chop have to pay. OT or not, depends on the employment contract or agreement when you started work.

If the new arrangement affects you, tell him that. Part-timers are part-timers because you can't hold a full time job. Any employer with brains knows that. If he still does not budge, threaten to quit. If does not work, up to u to quit or not.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast