Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    A post a day since Jul 03 glyfone's Avatar

Why Apple's iPad Will Kill the PC

Why Apple's iPad Will Kill the PC | The Corner Office | BNET

What you think?

my take is... impossible

can i run crysis on ipad?
    Main : | 3570k 4.5 ghz | Gigabyte Z77 G1 Sniper 3 | Samsung 30nm 4x4gb 2133 CL 9 1.5v | Gigabyte Windforce 7950/GTX770 | HD204UI + ST31000528AS + Crucial M4 256GB | Stacker Clone | HX620 | 3007WFP-HC| Wave Pro |

I dun visualise future office notebook/desktop replaced by iPad.

However, something interesting:

It is easy to see what Gates meant if you look at a comparison of the two companies in June, 1998. Microsoft stock was around $29 with a market capitalization of $250 billion. Apple’s stock was at $7.25, triple what it had been a year before when Microsoft had stepped-in to bolster Apple with a $150 million investment, but still worth a market cap of only $6 billion. In terms of products, market share, cash flow, and general strategy Microsoft had it all over Apple in 1998 and the idea that Jobs would ever catch up to Gates was, at the time, ludicrous.

But look at the two companies today. Jobs is still running Apple despite cancer and a liver transplant while Gates has moved on to saving the world at the Gates Foundation. Microsoft is worth $240 billion, a tiny drop from 12 years ago, with the shares now around $27 (down from $29). Nothing gained in more than a decade. Apple shares, on the other hand, have gone from $7.25 to almost $240, Apple’s market cap has risen more than 33X from $6 billion to $220 billion. And Cupertino’s cash hoard today is almost exactly the same as Microsoft’s at around $40 billion.
    Source:
    I, Cringely Blog Archive Masters Tournament - Cringely on technology

apple might kill pc in the future, but definitely not with this ipad.
    Main : | 3570k 4.5 ghz | Gigabyte Z77 G1 Sniper 3 | Samsung 30nm 4x4gb 2133 CL 9 1.5v | Gigabyte Windforce 7950/GTX770 | HD204UI + ST31000528AS + Crucial M4 256GB | Stacker Clone | HX620 | 3007WFP-HC| Wave Pro |

it is gonna lag
    Life is a Gift, Never take it forgranted
    | i5ooest:i5-4690S cooledby Kozuti | Maximus VII Impact mini-ITX | 2 x 8GB DDR3 | Extreme PRO 480Gb |
    | 1TB Veloci | MX800 | M12 II-620W | Jonsbo W1 |2707WFP (16:10) |

Quote Originally Posted by Shrek View Post
    apple might kill pc in the future, but definitely not with this ipad.
    Agreed!

The idea that something that runs on a G4 1GHz processor will kill off PC...

And unless they can wake up their bloody idea of overpricing every single product, China might just take over them
    Last edited by halfhuman; Apr 12th, 10 at 12:28 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by PinGer
    sorry diamonds are a girl's best friends not google

apple will not totally kill pc lah.
    there is always room for both
    Life is a Gift, Never take it forgranted
    | i5ooest:i5-4690S cooledby Kozuti | Maximus VII Impact mini-ITX | 2 x 8GB DDR3 | Extreme PRO 480Gb |
    | 1TB Veloci | MX800 | M12 II-620W | Jonsbo W1 |2707WFP (16:10) |

we have seen apple fads come and go.

Lets be realistic. Even the jedi were not match for clones.

apple killing the PC is steve job's wildest wet dream.

rubbish post.

maybe the ipad may be able to take over the pc in terms of his usage patterns - MS word, web surfing etc.

but for anyone who plays games, develops software or use flash enabled websites, the ipad is a no go zone.
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. — Bertrand Russell

no, period

iPAD won't kill the PC ...

1. No flash
    2. Play games tah shiok ... Screen so small ... see what ?
    3. Watch prawns tah shiok also ... screen sooo small ...
    Samsung T260HD, AE Aego M 2.1 White, Samsung 32" 5 Series Slim LED TV, Fiio X3 1st Gen, Fiio E12 Black, Edifier S730, Fiio X5 1st Gen, Ducky Shine4 White with White Switch, Razer Firefly, Razer Mamba Tournament, LG HBS-900, Samsung Note 4, LG V30+ ThinQ,

Abolisher of E|ektronics Lyfeforce's Avatar
    iPad will not kill the PC primarily because it's not a direct competitor to a PC. It is more of a mobile device and, for the moment, competes in the E-Book readers category. Kindle too does not have Flash support.

So while I do not agree with the actual article, I also don't know what's the big fuss about the lack of Flash support. I thought with the future of HTML5, Flash would be kind of akin to bloatware?

Will Google really stick with Flash if HTML5 is out? Well, that remains to be seen, doesn't it?
    A blade cuts both ways. So why take the risk? Stab instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Lyfeforce View Post
    iPad will not kill the PC primarily because it's not a direct competitor to a PC. It is more of a mobile device and, for the moment, competes in the E-Book readers category. Kindle too does not have Flash support.

So while I do not agree with the actual article, I also don't know what's the big fuss about the lack of Flash support. I thought with the future of HTML5, Flash would be kind of akin to bloatware?

Will Google really stick with Flash if HTML5 is out? Well, that remains to be seen, doesn't it?
    Remember that the html5 spec is slated to be finalized in 2020 lol
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. — Bertrand Russell

Quote Originally Posted by Lyfeforce View Post

Its like getting a mobile device and telling yourself ... "No flash no flash lo ... At home computer haf flash can liao ... Anyway, next time bo flash liao" ... but the newly bought device bo flash ... still haf to go home and use the flash at home ... next time bo flash ... next time is when sia ?
    Samsung T260HD, AE Aego M 2.1 White, Samsung 32" 5 Series Slim LED TV, Fiio X3 1st Gen, Fiio E12 Black, Edifier S730, Fiio X5 1st Gen, Ducky Shine4 White with White Switch, Razer Firefly, Razer Mamba Tournament, LG HBS-900, Samsung Note 4, LG V30+ ThinQ,

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast