Thread: Failure

Failure

How do you perceive failure?

Frankly, i am one who dun perceive failure well and that seriously impedes me, thus giving up on something easily.

I am scared of failure.

Macbook Lion | X32 Crunchbang Linux | EeePC 900 Ubuntu | Core i5-3450 Desktop Win7 | iPad 2 | iPod Touch 4G | Samsung Galaxy S2

Uncle Hoot &a mp; amp;amp; amp;amp; amp; amp; amp; a mp; amp; amp; amp; a mp; amp; amp; a mp; amp; amp; amp; amp; amp; amp; amp; amp; amp; amp; a mp; Hoot more domho7's Avatar

Talking

From Winkipedia:

Criteria for failure

The criteria for failure are heavily dependent on context of use, and may be relative to a particular observer or belief system. A situation considered to be a failure by one might be considered a success by another, particularly in cases of direct competition or a zero-sum game. As well, the degree of success or failure in a situation may be differently viewed by distinct observers or participants, such that a situation that one considers to be a failure, another might consider to be a success, a qualified success or a neutral situation.
    It may also be difficult or impossible to ascertain whether a situation meets criteria for failure or success due to ambiguous or ill-defined definition of those criteria. Finding useful and effective criteria, or heuristics, to judge the success or failure of a situation may itself be a significant task.

Common usage

A context in which failure is frequently used is in the formal grading of scholastic achievement. 'Failing a test' or being assigned a 'failing mark' or not making "the" team(see j-mart)or(c-squad tenni) indicates that a student has reached an all time low or submitted work or received a mark below a minimum threshold of performance or quality required to continue studies in a subject.

Formal technical definition

Failure is defined in ISO/CD 10303-226 as the lack of ability of a component, equipment, sub system, or system to perform its intended function as designed. Failure may be the result of one or many faults.

Types of failure

Failure can be differentially perceived from the viewpoints of the evaluators. A person who is only interested in the final outcome of an activity would consider it to be an Outcome Failure if the core issue has not been resolved or a core need is not met. A failure can also be a process failure whereby although the activity is completed successfully, a person may still feel dissatisfied if the underlying process is perceived to be below expected standard or benchmark.
    Jared Diamond lists some reasons by which a society can collapse (book):
    1. failure to anticipate,
    2. failure to perceive.
    Commercial failures

A commercial failure is a product that does not reach expectations of success, failing to come even close. A major flop goes one step further and is recognized for its complete lack of success.
    Most of the items listed below had high expectations, significant financial investments, and/or widespread publicity, but fell far short of success. Obviously, due to the subjective nature of "success" and "meeting expectations", there can be disagreement about what constitutes a "major flop."Other failures

Get Yan's DIY Cables!!!

Year 11 Graduate. Now uni Haxor_Lee's Avatar
    Fail=Screwed
    Thats why you are afraid of Failure.

Quote Originally Posted by Haxor_Lee
    Fail=Screwed
    Thats why you are afraid of Failure.
    So, if u meet failure...how do u view it?
    Macbook Lion | X32 Crunchbang Linux | EeePC 900 Ubuntu | Core i5-3450 Desktop Win7 | iPad 2 | iPod Touch 4G | Samsung Galaxy S2

Quote Originally Posted by medallion
    So, if u meet failure...how do u view it?
    treat failure as a lesson and improve the next time

Quote Originally Posted by Soldi
    treat failure as a lesson and improve the next time

But how come i cannot? I always tink failure as FAILURE...means i give up.

Quote Originally Posted by medallion
    But how come i cannot? I always tink failure as FAILURE...means i give up.
    everyone has failures

when u fail u give up

ur the real FAILURE

so when u fail u try till u get it right

and btw... ROFL at ur sig Haxor_lee