Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

IPPT Changes Announced

Soldiers, it's time to chin up

SINGAPORE - The bar is being raised for the fitness levels expected of Singapore Armed Forces national servicemen.

Soon, it will no longer be enough to get fit just for the Individual Physical Proficiency Test (IPPT), an annual ritual for many local males. Staying fit should be the goal. And to drive home this point, the Ministry of Defence announced yesterday two changes which will kick in from April.

First, all SAF personnel - including regulars, operationally-ready NSmen and full-time NSmen - will have to clear their IPPT at least three months before their birthdays.

Currently, they have 12 months, starting from their birthdays, to pass their IPPT. This is so that those "who may need more training to pass their IPPT will receive help sooner", Minister of State (Defence) Koo Tsai Kee said at a media briefing.

Those who do not pass must undergo up to 20 sessions of remedial training in the remaining three months to help them pass.

So, instead of doing the training in a new 12-month window period, which is the current practice and is deemed as enough to fulfil the IPPT duty for that year, servicemen will have to do remedial training every year if they fail.

The second change is that servicemen can sign up for 10 sessions of IPPT preparatory training, or IPT, to help them get ready for their IPPT, but over the course of nine months, instead of the current five weeks.

The extension allows servicemen more flexibility to plan their training regime.

More importantly, it aims to encourage servicemen to train more regularly, said Colonel Nelson Yau, SAF's head of National Service Affairs Department.

Physical training instructors will be on hand to customise training programmes for servicemen, who will also be advised on issues relating to health, fitness and safety.

Individual targets will be set for each of the five IPPT stations (2.4km run, sit-ups, shuttle run, chin-ups and standing broad jump).

The perk for those who sign up is that servicemen who still fail the IPPT will not have to undergo remedial training - provided they meet or exceed their individual targets.

Previously, NSmen were simply excused from remedial training if they completed IPT.

Asked if the changes are due to a high failure rate among the 300,000 or so who take the IPPT yearly, Associate Professor Koo said the majority passed, and the passing rate among NSmen has been quite stable.

He said the changes signal a move beyond "passing and failing the IPPT" and reflects Mindef's "continued commitment toward partnering our servicemen to stay fit".

Mindef declined to reveal figures on the passing rate or the IPT take-up. But in an interview in 2002, then-Minister of State (Defence) Cedric Foo said that one in four of more than 100,000 NSmen who take the IPPT are sent for remedial training either because they failed the test or did not have a valid excuse for missing it.

NSman Private Tan Keng Liang, 30, who underwent a pilot test of the new IPT, welcomed the changes saying NSmen would be more inclined to sign up with the greater flexibility in planning their training sessions.

Source: TODAYonline | Singapore | Soldiers, it's time to chin up

<--PESC2L2.
    My Gadgets:
    LG G3 D858 w/64gb MicroSD & PS3 Slim 160Gb Black

Desktop Rig:

Intel i5-2500K, ASRock H77M-ITX, Kingston 12GB DDR3 1333Mhz, Sapphire R9 280 3GB, Crucial M4 256GB SSD, 2TB WD Black, Swans D1010-IV, Fractal Design Node 304, Antec Earthwatts 550w 80PLUS Platinum, Microsoft Sidewinder X6, Dell 2209WA, MS Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit.

Buyers to take note: JL2009, OWENNG (waste time), Narneless (potential prank)

another rubbish idea to ruining the life of a typical singaporean.

it's not easy to pass IPPT. chin up and 2.4km is very hard to pass.

many singaporean struggle hard for a living, securing their rice bowl , fighting for jobs with foreign talent who have no education and thus demand slightly lesser salary.

even the army regulars are FAT. We need to work for a living, take care of the family. it's like not much chance we can have time to work up and pass IPPT.

the 2.4 run passing marks is 13 mins.
    chin up is 5 to pass.
    standing board jump 2.14

sit up and shutter run can't remember how much but it's not a major problem.

I don't really mind RT. Free guided training with extra moolah on the side. Living one short bus ride from a FCC helps.

RT is what the individual chooses to make of it. While it is useless for the weak minded, it does give those who wish to enhance their fitness a relatively decent workout.

DF

@firecracker is 30mins a day or an hour or two each weekend too much to spare?

You can run 3-4km in 30mins which is plenty every other day to boost stamina. Static stations won't take more than 10mins. Time is not an excuse unless your finances are really desperate and you are working 2 jobs. Eating into family time? Take them along. I see many families jogging together on weekends in the parks.
    Last edited by DragonFire; Oct 12th, 10 at 08:47 AM.

Durian Dragon Dranyago! See this Dragon Meow!

Views expressed are my own and are not representative of that of VR-Zone.
    Posts made when executing moderator duties after 20150301 will be in bold purple
    Note that Friend requests will be declined without exception. Do not send me any.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonFire View Post
    I don't really mind RT. Free guided training with extra moolah on the side. Living one short bus ride from a FCC helps.

RT is what the individual chooses to make of it. While it is useless for the weak minded, it does give those who wish to enhance their fitness a relatively decent workout.

DF

@firecracker is 30mins a day or an hour or two each weekend too much to spare?

You can run 3-4km in 30mins which is plenty every other day to boost stamina. Static stations won't take more than 10mins. Time is not an excuse unless your finances are really desperate and you are working 2 jobs. Eating into family time? Take them along. I see many families jogging together on weekends in the parks.
    not everyone likes to work out.
    being forced to do something you don't like, you definitely wont like it.

So, MINDEF came up with a new plan to further degrade the citizenship of a Singaporean guy. Well done MINDEF, *Claps Hand*, Well Done!

And for the first time FireCracker said smthing useful!

What a way to lose votes.
    Views expressed are my own.

WTS: Garage sales!! Pre-loved items sold for cheap!!

URGENT DOSE OF VITAMIN M REQUIRED.
    Can you help?

Agree about the forcing bit.

Speaking from experience, it wasn't till last year that I saw the light.

Blood pressure was increasing, joints were starting to ache and climbing stairs made me breathless.

You kinda finally realise you ain't immortal, and that all that excess will lead to an early demise.

All the money in the world won't help at that point. At least not with today's technology

DF

Durian Dragon Dranyago! See this Dragon Meow!

Views expressed are my own and are not representative of that of VR-Zone.
    Posts made when executing moderator duties after 20150301 will be in bold purple
    Note that Friend requests will be declined without exception. Do not send me any.

FML
    Intel Core i7 2600k | ASUS Z68V Pro | ASUS GTX460 TOP 1GB DDR5 | 16GB Kingston DDR III 1333 | DELL 24" 2407-HC | OCZ Vertex 4 256GB x 2 RAID 0 + WD Black 1TB + WD AVGP 2TB | LG 22x DVD Writer | Cooler Master CM690 | Aerocool 650W Modular | Creative X-Fi Xtreme Music | Logitech Z906 5.1 THX

workout 3times per week. 1 gym session about 20-30mins(additional of 1hour to and back from gym). 2 interval sessions about 15-20mins each on the staircase(negligible travelling time).

as for pull-ups, when returning from work, i will purposely walk pass 2-3 chin-up bar and crank-off few reps at each bar. maybe take me another extra 10mins getting home.

a little less surfing and posting online will provide more than enough time to keep fit. it make economic and physiological sense to exercise. IPPT should not be the main reason in the first place.

the main reason if i don't exercise is laziness. i not used to giving myself excuss.

dun worry guys.. its only temp.

at most until the family's children start their reservist cycles...

give or take I say in about 2-3 years things will go back to norm.

for the time being if ya a regular, stay low profile in your company.

Newbie of Now and Forever wwenze's Avatar
    The IPT over 9 months is good, but if take once every month every time go there take cat. IPPT?

"The perk for those who sign up is that servicemen who still fail the IPPT will not have to undergo remedial training - provided they meet or exceed their individual targets."

And how low do they allow the individual targets to be set?

If allow us to set ourselves we set 20 min, 180cm, 0 pull ups?

If don't allow us to set ourselves then set to what, IPPT pass standard? Then go IPT for what if you can pass?

But then again often what is said (on booklet, instruction, and website) and what is done is different.
    Last edited by wwenze; Oct 12th, 10 at 10:02 AM.

in MAJU camp few years back there's 2 older N.S guy at the age of 38 and 39 with high blood being forced to run and complete the extra 3 rounds around the camp after the regular 2.4 run during a working day evening.

2 of them died after the extreme session forced by the PTI. the camp went for investigation, and straight after it. MAJU camp become a holiday camp for RT people.

I went there during last SUNDAY for a make up.
    8:24 in. 10:00 out.

and it's a session of 2.4KM jogging and some hanging on the bar if u cannot pull session. hanged on the bar for about 5 secs until i drop down due to the bar is too sweaty.

I can pull about 6 but since everyone isn't pulling... you know... just act and waste the time.

o.O this being said...my injury could be a blessing in disguise for me though i have no much problems passing wif a silver...
    Way Of The Dragon: From a distance - 20 paddlers move in perfect rhythm to a muted drum beat, gracefully skimming the water's surface. Up close - determined grunts and strained sinews with oars in grip, dig vigorously into the water. The majestic head of the dragon fronts this contraption but the real heart lies just behind it, at the apex of the bow. Like a conductor of an orchestra, the drummer leads his crew with the calculated beat of his drum. Such is the realm of dragon boating.

Rig Overhaul! 20/06/2014:
    | Asrock B85M Pro 4 + Intel i5 4460 Haswell | Zotac GTX760 AMP! Edtn GDDR5 2GB | G.Skill RipJaws-X DDR3-1600 CL9 4GB x 2 | Toshiba 2TB SATA3 | Crucial MX100 128GB SATA3 | Western Digital 320GB SATA2 | LG SATA 20x DVDRW | FSP Aurum S Gold 600W | Lian Li PC007AIM |

Newbie of Now and Forever wwenze's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SYY View Post
    o.O this being said...my injury could be a blessing in disguise for me though i have no much problems passing wif a silver...
    Pray it is a blessing in disguise; if full recovery is best, if permanent injury with downgrade good, but if permanent injury but not enough to get downgrade and your performance degrade to unable to pass and you are unable to sleep from the pain after RT, then FML.

Oh, and the last case happens often.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast