Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1

    Can I replace dead memory on a video card?

    OK guys here is the story. My 7800GTX 256MB was voltage modded according to this guide : http://www.malvescorner.net/7800.html

    VGPU was done succesfully, but a week afterwards, I went for the VMEM mod which killed the memory right after powering on the system. Initially I thought it made a short-circuit, but afterwards I realized that the guide above, said I should solder an 100K resistance, while I soldered an 100 Ohm one

    I sent the card back, hoping that I would have the memory replaced and pay the cost, but they said this cannot happen with RMA. It's either the card died itself and is replaced for free, or you killed it yourself and nothing happens.

    So now, appart from throwing it in the garbage, is there a way I can change the memory (and of course keep the cost reasonable) ? And if there is, where do I find and how do I buy the replacement memory? I fear this will be difficult to find here (Greece)
    Last edited by orion24; Jun 21st, 06 at 05:12 PM.
    CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 4 GHz
    Mainboard: ASUS Striker II Extreme
    RAM: Corsair TWIN3X4096-1600C7DHX @ 1884 C9
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 280 @ 771/1566/2754 @ 1.302V
    PSU: Enermax 1KW Galaxy
    Cooling: Zalman Reserator 1
    Hard Drive: 2xVelociRaptors RAID-0, 2x750GB WD RE2 RAID-0

    3DMarks: (with the old AMD system) 2006, 2005, 2003, 2001

  2. #2
    doubt so
    Whatever floats your boat...

  3. #3
    Registered User JJLoke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Woodlands
    Posts
    1,809
    the chances are very low towards impossible ... u can buy the ram from the ram manufacturers providing special reasons or watsoever, but the problem is that the ram chips are BFPGA and needs special machines to solder and desolder them.

    it could be the memory regulators that had blow out rather than the memory itself. u might wanna try to troubleshoot the power circuitry that is connected to the memory
    Storage Media Data Recovery - PM me for details
    Old Computer Part Sales:
    http://forums.vr-zone.com/showthread.php?t=372277

    AMD Phenom II X6 1055T w/ 3R Iceage Prima Boss II
    Gigabyte 890GPA-UD3H
    16Gb DDR3 1600 GSkill RipJaws
    ATI Radeon HD7870 MYST
    Samsung 850 Pro 256Gb
    WD 1TB 64Mb SATA3 Black
    LG GH22NS40 DVD Writer
    Seasonic X650
    Asus Vento TA-M11 Chasis
    Ducky 9008 Shine 3, Razer DeathAdder

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by JJLoke
    it could be the memory regulators that had blow out rather than the memory itself. u might wanna try to troubleshoot the power circuitry that is connected to the memory
    Judging from the way the memory voltage mod was done, do you really think there is such a case? Eitherway, how do I check that?
    CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 4 GHz
    Mainboard: ASUS Striker II Extreme
    RAM: Corsair TWIN3X4096-1600C7DHX @ 1884 C9
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 280 @ 771/1566/2754 @ 1.302V
    PSU: Enermax 1KW Galaxy
    Cooling: Zalman Reserator 1
    Hard Drive: 2xVelociRaptors RAID-0, 2x750GB WD RE2 RAID-0

    3DMarks: (with the old AMD system) 2006, 2005, 2003, 2001

  5. #5
    don't u think its cheaper option to get a new 1?
    Whatever floats your boat...

  6. #6
    Registered User JJLoke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Woodlands
    Posts
    1,809
    often a surge in current will damage the regulators circuitry first rather than the memory itself.

    the percentage of damaged memory is to damage circuitry is 15 : 85 %

    its wiser to buy a new card. hope this is a lesson for you. when modding expensive or any other card, practice extreme caution and keep double checking ur work before booting it up
    Storage Media Data Recovery - PM me for details
    Old Computer Part Sales:
    http://forums.vr-zone.com/showthread.php?t=372277

    AMD Phenom II X6 1055T w/ 3R Iceage Prima Boss II
    Gigabyte 890GPA-UD3H
    16Gb DDR3 1600 GSkill RipJaws
    ATI Radeon HD7870 MYST
    Samsung 850 Pro 256Gb
    WD 1TB 64Mb SATA3 Black
    LG GH22NS40 DVD Writer
    Seasonic X650
    Asus Vento TA-M11 Chasis
    Ducky 9008 Shine 3, Razer DeathAdder

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by JJLoke
    hope this is a lesson for you. when modding expensive or any other card, practice extreme caution and keep double checking ur work before booting it up
    extreme caution turns to be very tiring and boring. I don't work this way. Buying a new card is not a question as I don't need it. I'm currently with the 7900GT SLI. I was just wondering if I could have it repaired. The only reasonable expecation is to find another dead 7800 card, from a different reason, and try to make 1 working card out of the 2
    CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 4 GHz
    Mainboard: ASUS Striker II Extreme
    RAM: Corsair TWIN3X4096-1600C7DHX @ 1884 C9
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 280 @ 771/1566/2754 @ 1.302V
    PSU: Enermax 1KW Galaxy
    Cooling: Zalman Reserator 1
    Hard Drive: 2xVelociRaptors RAID-0, 2x750GB WD RE2 RAID-0

    3DMarks: (with the old AMD system) 2006, 2005, 2003, 2001

  8. #8
    Registered User JJLoke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Woodlands
    Posts
    1,809
    i would be impossible to repair memory in these new cards. furthermore electronics is not as simple as repair-and-good-to-go type of stuff. if one component fail, another component is definitely failing along with it.

    so repair is no longer in the question
    Storage Media Data Recovery - PM me for details
    Old Computer Part Sales:
    http://forums.vr-zone.com/showthread.php?t=372277

    AMD Phenom II X6 1055T w/ 3R Iceage Prima Boss II
    Gigabyte 890GPA-UD3H
    16Gb DDR3 1600 GSkill RipJaws
    ATI Radeon HD7870 MYST
    Samsung 850 Pro 256Gb
    WD 1TB 64Mb SATA3 Black
    LG GH22NS40 DVD Writer
    Seasonic X650
    Asus Vento TA-M11 Chasis
    Ducky 9008 Shine 3, Razer DeathAdder

  9. #9
    Prelude
    Guest
    Try RMA it to the shop where you purchased it. Say it is doa. Just try. This is what I did to my 6600GT which died. They replaced it for me 1 to 1. You can try going doen to the distro. Gd luck bro.

  10. #10
    Newbie of Past & Present yantronic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Paid Accomodation
    Posts
    22,891
    If you are not getting any Vmem reading, you blew your Vmem regulators, which should be easier to replace.

    But if you do register a reading, chances are the memory is gone.

    BGAs are no user-replaceable most of the time. You'd be lucky if you could use a well controlled hot-air-gun with some accurate relocation of the RAM chips.
    The opinions expressed above do not represent those of VR-Zone (VR Media PTE LTD Singapore) or any of their affiliates.


  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by yantronic
    If you are not getting any Vmem reading, you blew your Vmem regulators, which should be easier to replace.

    But if you do register a reading, chances are the memory is gone.

    BGAs are no user-replaceable most of the time. You'd be lucky if you could use a well controlled hot-air-gun with some accurate relocation of the RAM chips.
    Hmmm, so the only thing that would be interesting, is the possibility that only the memory voltage regulators died. I read the memory voltage by that time, but I don't remember the reading. It sure was 0.0 during the bad mod, but I'm not sure if it retured to 2.0 after I cleared it, but I think it did. The card was "working" with heavy artifacting shortly after I cleared the mod, before it completely passed out.

    Anyway a kind of "specialist" electoric technician here, told me that he can replace the memory, but the overall cost doesn't worth it. It would be more expensive than a new card.
    CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 4 GHz
    Mainboard: ASUS Striker II Extreme
    RAM: Corsair TWIN3X4096-1600C7DHX @ 1884 C9
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 280 @ 771/1566/2754 @ 1.302V
    PSU: Enermax 1KW Galaxy
    Cooling: Zalman Reserator 1
    Hard Drive: 2xVelociRaptors RAID-0, 2x750GB WD RE2 RAID-0

    3DMarks: (with the old AMD system) 2006, 2005, 2003, 2001

  12. #12
    JaNoZ
    Guest
    I would make sure those mem voltage regulators/circuit are dead, before deciding to drop the board.

  13. #13
    Bipolar Narcissistic Dreamslacker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    In an idle mind
    Posts
    7,754
    Quote Originally Posted by orion24
    The card was "working" with heavy artifacting shortly after I cleared the mod, before it completely passed out.

    Anyway a kind of "specialist" electoric technician here, told me that he can replace the memory, but the overall cost doesn't worth it. It would be more expensive than a new card.
    Dead memory it is.. Yes, the costs of replacing such components would buy you a new card. Furthermore, you do not know how long you can bake the GPU side for and what temperatures it can handle. You may well end up killing the GPU or other components during the desoldering and/ or soldering baking process.
    An Idle Mind Walks in Dark Places
    Certified Network n00b

  14. #14
    I'm a Bloated Cap :( yongkimleng's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    LaLaLand
    Posts
    2,062
    Quote Originally Posted by orion24
    Hmmm, so the only thing that would be interesting, is the possibility that only the memory voltage regulators died. I read the memory voltage by that time, but I don't remember the reading. It sure was 0.0 during the bad mod, but I'm not sure if it retured to 2.0 after I cleared it, but I think it did. The card was "working" with heavy artifacting shortly after I cleared the mod, before it completely passed out.

    Anyway a kind of "specialist" electoric technician here, told me that he can replace the memory, but the overall cost doesn't worth it. It would be more expensive than a new card.
    if you've got an oscilloscope (high end digital one, or FPGA at hand (like in school or something)) you can try tapping data lines going from ur video ram to gpu to test if there are signals on them, at appropriate io voltage levels. dead ram usually return no data signals or lower-than-normal io voltage.
    | JAMESYONG.NET |

    WTB: Used/Spoilt WiiMotes ! $10 onwards