Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

replacing 2wire modem

Hi people, im on Singnet Fibre plan 200mbps plan. Is it possible to replace the black 2wire modem they provide us with other brands like etc linksys ,dlink? my MIO tv is connected to the modem as well.

Please advice

Thanks
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5960X - 4.5Ghz
    Mainboard: Asus X99 Rampage V Extreme
    Cooler: Corsair H100i
    Memory: G.Skill RipJaw 32GB 2666MHz
    HDD: Samsung 850 Pro - 500GB Raid 0, Samsung 850 EVO 512GB, HSGT 4TB 7.2k
    Display: Samsung 27"
    GFX: MSI NVIDIA Geforce GTX 980Ti - Ref Card
    Audio: Creative SB ZXR Model
    PSU: CORSAIR AX1500i
    Speaker: Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Channel
    Casing: Corsair 750D

If im not wrong, MIO TV can only work with the 2wire modem.
    My Rig
    | Intel Core I7 4790K @ 4.0GHz + Corsair H110i GT | MSI Z97A Gaming 7 | 2 x 8GB DDR3 Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400MHz CL11 | MSI GTX 980TI Gaming 6G | 2 x Crucial M4 256GB RAID0 | Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200.12 | 2 x WD 1TB Caviar Black 1002FAEX RAID0 | NZXT Noctis 450 | Seasonic X-Series 850W | 2 x Dell U2311H | 1 x BENQ XL2411T |
    WITH
    <Logitech G502><Logitech G240><Corsair Gaming K70 RGB Browns><Logitech G430><Creative Gigaworks T40 Series II><Xbox 360 controller><Logitech Extreme 3D Pro>

Gadgets:

<HTC One M9>

Give up your MioTV, then you can replace the black 2wire modem they provide.

Alternatively check out this website point 4 onwards : Mini Liew: Bye Bye Singtel's 2Wire 5012NV

There are several ways you can "replace" your 5012NV.

The simplest is to set it to bridge mode, and thereafter, you put a router behind it. You still get mioTV (via the 5012NV), mioVoice (via the 5012NV) and full internet (via the router you put in).

The 2nd simplest is to use a direct replacement. As far as I know, the Asus RT-N56U is the only direct replacement. You however will lose mioVoice, unless you put the 5012NV back into the set-up.

The last alternative is already mentioned here, which is to put a smart switch before your router. Singnet fibre (and the others too) uses VLAN tagging for the various services (voice, TV, Internet), so by using a VLAN capable switch, you can then 'route' the various services to different compoents.

With regards to the N56U (if you are considering this option, do update to latest firmware), you can get MioTV and internet directly, but for MioVoice, you will either need to use the 2Wire placed behind port 3 of the N56U, or use either software or hardware SIP devices (Linksys PAP2T, various SIP capable dect phones).

Alternatively, if MioVoice is too cumbersome, you can always tell Singtel to leave you on analog line. They will make arrangements for this such that you will not need to pay the quarterly line fee, just the units you use.

PS: Btw, Singtel loves to call the 2Wire a modem, but in reality the ONT is the modem. The 2Wire contains an ADSL modem that is irrelevant to fibre.
    Last edited by Qubicfactor; Dec 26th, 11 at 02:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_ARCHer View Post

The simplest is to set it to bridge mode, and thereafter, you put a router behind it. You still get mioTV (via the 5012NV), mioVoice (via the 5012NV) and full internet (via the router you put in).

The 2nd simplest is to use a direct replacement. As far as I know, the Asus RT-N56U is the only direct replacement. You however will lose mioVoice, unless you put the 5012NV back into the set-up.

The last alternative is already mentioned here, which is to put a smart switch before your router. Singnet fibre (and the others too) uses VLAN tagging for the various services (voice, TV, Internet), so by using a VLAN capable switch, you can then 'route' the various services to different compoents.
    Is it confirmed that the Asus RT-N56U can be a direct replacement?
    Why does this link, Mini Liew: Bye Bye Singtel&#39;s 2Wire 5012NV say cannot replace the 2wire directly?

thanks for all your reply. somehow can anyone simplify for me haha. Basically i don't mioVoice, just the fibre and mioTV.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_ARCHer View Post

bro, from your advice i can just get a that asus router to replace my currently 2wire(black) modem? since i dont have miovoice that shouldent be a issue right?

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by acme View Post
    bro, from your advice i can just get a that asus router to replace my currently 2wire(black) modem? since i dont have miovoice that shouldent be a issue right?

thanks
    i read the comments from the page Mini Liew: Bye Bye Singtel&#39;s 2Wire 5012NV someone has already been doing it..

Quote Originally Posted by watzzup80 View Post
    Is it confirmed that the Asus RT-N56U can be a direct replacement?
    Why does this link, Mini Liew: Bye Bye Singtel's 2Wire 5012NV say cannot replace the 2wire directly?
    That blog was written in May 2011. Asus released a new firmware that provides support for SingNet Fibre unofficially. Make sure you use the firmware that has the unofficial support.

Quote Originally Posted by acme View Post

thanks
    Yes. Just use the firmware with the Singnet suport. The f version broke the support, but the latest beta may have fixed it. I'm using 2wire in bridge mode rather than using the RT-N56U as a direct replacement because that way, I can switch and test other wireless routers without much worry.

Created a post for this.

Hopefully this helps: 3 ways to replace Singtel Extreme's 2Wire Router
    Last edited by shadowoflight; Aug 22nd, 12 at 05:31 PM.
    -
    Desktop - Fractal Design R3 | Intel Core i7 4770k + Noctua NH-U12P | Asus ROG Hero VI | 2x 8GB DDR3 G.Skill CL9 2133 | MSI GTX770 4GB | Creative Sound Blaster ZXR | Creative Inspire T7700 7.1 | Crucial M500 960GB + WD Greens | Razor Deathadder Black + Destructor | Philips 230C |
    Others - iPhone 5 | iPad 3 | Vaio Z2 | Walkman F806 + Miles Davis | Oly OM-D EM1 + 12-40 f2.8 |

www.CheapSupplements.com.sg
    - Cheap supplements, organic essential oils, spices, organic body and bath and other natural products.
    www.theaaronloy.com
    - My Maniacal Musings.
    theaaronloy's YouTube
    - Video Reviews, Unboxings, Let's Plays and stuff
    viewqwest review
    - Why I'm using Viewqwest
    subscribe to Viewqwest

Quote Originally Posted by shadowoflight View Post
    Created a post for this.

Hopefully this helps: 3 ways to replace Singtel Extreme's 2Wire Router
    wow, good stuff gonna read it up later...

For those coming up with the guides that passthrough the non-Internet VLANs, do note that the Mikrotik RB250GS is much cheaper than the Cisco managed switch mentioned in the older guide.
    Infinite Monkey @ ViewQwest

Nikon FM2n ∙ Nikon D610 ∙ Nikkor 50mm f/1.2 AI-s ∙ Fujichrome Provia 400X

Quote Originally Posted by &d00 View Post
    For those coming up with the guides that passthrough the non-Internet VLANs, do note that the Mikrotik RB250GS is much cheaper than the Cisco managed switch mentioned in the older guide.
    it can be quite a bitch to configure especially when somethings goes wrong. if someone has to ask, i think recommending them anything Mikrotik is not a wise choice.
    IT Articles for you and me - http://www.itcow.com
    Gallery - http://*******/5qHTMu | Pano Gallery - http://360.itcow.com

[/size]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast