Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Problem solved at Tampines 1 Challenger! GOOD CUSTOMER SERVICE! THUMBS UP!

I bought a usb 2.0 hub from Challenger @ Tampines 1 last Sunday to replace my 2 yrs old hub. To my horror, the hub turned out to be a USB 1.14 hub! I tested it on my laptop, my sister desktop and my own desktop and always get the "This Device can Perform Faster" message when I connect to my usb 2.0 devices.

Last edited by wid4008; Apr 27th, 09 at 12:42 AM.
    System Core: HP Mininote 2133, VIA C7-M 1.2GHz, 2GB RAM, Windows 7 Ultimate, Samsung SyncMaster LD190 Monitor
    Maintenance Tools: ESET Antivirus 4, PerfectDisk 10, CCleaner, JV16 PowerTools 2009, Total Uninstall 5
    On Starhub MOL 16Mbps Plan:

wow... challenger also sell MIC fake item?

go back and throw that in their face...

ask why they cheated u by advertising it as 2.0 and is infact a 1.4

Quote Originally Posted by Mobile_Crazy View Post
    go back and throw that in their face...

ask why they cheated u by advertising it as 2.0 and is infact a 1.4
    Luckily I still have the receipt. Will go back this Sunday and ask them for a refund or replacement for REAL usb 2.0 hub. Will ask them to test right in front of me with their in-store computer. If they refuse to refund or anything, I will bring this to CASE.
    System Core: HP Mininote 2133, VIA C7-M 1.2GHz, 2GB RAM, Windows 7 Ultimate, Samsung SyncMaster LD190 Monitor
    Maintenance Tools: ESET Antivirus 4, PerfectDisk 10, CCleaner, JV16 PowerTools 2009, Total Uninstall 5

i have 1 of this at home... usb 2.0 leh...

Quote Originally Posted by hello8985 View Post
    i have 1 of this at home... usb 2.0 leh...
    In fact my older usb hub is EXACTLY the same as this one but it is REALLY usb 2.0 but this one I got is USB 1.1. It can be checked using Device Manager in Vista.

Before you try to challenge Challenger, try to connect the hub to other computer(newer computer will be preferred).
    Sometimes when Usb device doesn't get enough power, It'll run in compatibility mode(1.1) .
    It happened with my external hdd.

Here is what I am talking about.

Well I think ur title is misleading. I don't think Challenger is at fault here, unless u had expected them to test and verify each and every single inventory that they receive. Furthermore, u had not gotten back to them to report of the fault.

Quote Originally Posted by belmont_a View Post
    Before you try to challenge Challenger, try to connect the hub to other computer(newer computer will be preferred).
    Sometimes when Usb device doesn't get enough power, It'll run in compatibility mode(1.1) .
    It happened with my external hdd.
    Thanks for the advice. I already tried it on two different desktops and two different laptops. Loaded with XP, XP Pro, Vista Home and Vista Ultimate and all gave the same result. To ensure maximum power, I even disconnect ALL USB devices but the hub is still recognized as usb 1.1.
    Last edited by wid4008; Apr 24th, 09 at 04:46 PM.

I still believe it's a USB2.0 device. Try plugging into the USB ports in the IO area instead of anywhere else. Sometimes plugging it into the front chassis USB ports doesn't give you USB2.0. Even for laptops, sometimes ur device is not detected as USB2.0. Don't ask me why, it's just an observation I made on many many occasions.

Do you have programs that conserve ur laptop power? If so turn them off. These programs will primarily restrict your USB port's power, in order to save battery power.

Problem solved at Challenger today!
    Brought the usb hub back and went to their customer service area and the guy tested the hub patiently to find out that the hub is really not a usb 2.0 hub as claimed but a usb 1.1 hub. In order to be dead sure, he asked me to bring in a few more similar usb hubs from the shop to test and true enough, all of them are usb 1.1 hubs but being sold as usb 2.0 hubs. I think they will change the cover or bring those products off the shelfs soon.

After that, he asked me to bring in a usb 2.0 hub I would like to change to. I brought in an Imation usb 2.0 hub but this one cost more than twice the price of the original hub I bought. Although it is in a completely sealed package, he cut opened the package and tested on the spot to ensure that it is really a usb 2.0 hub. Ater some admin procedures he printed out a receipt and asked me to top up the balance at the cashier.

Problem solved. Good customer service!
    Last edited by wid4008; Apr 27th, 09 at 12:45 AM.

still needs to top up ah
    Main : | 3570k 4.5 ghz | Gigabyte Z77 G1 Sniper 3 | Samsung 30nm 4x4gb 2133 CL 9 1.5v | Gigabyte Windforce 7950/GTX770 | HD204UI + ST31000528AS + Crucial M4 256GB | Stacker Clone | HX620 | 3007WFP-HC| Wave Pro |

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast