Poll: I have managed to switch my PC from IDE to AHCI mode after understanding this guide

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    now my bios on Set [BIOS->Main->Storage Configuration->ATA/IDE Configuration] = Enhanced - mode sata.
    I try update driver , is say got problem. Ive get the driver other MB. HERE is the link tat show my MB support achi
    Last edited by raichu; Nov 13th, 09 at 05:16 PM.
    [IMG]http://************/c9gcxg[/IMG]

Seduce my mind, you will get my body, find my soul, you will get my heart:

Quote Originally Posted by Slammer View Post
    The following should work for the more recent AMD chipsets (no registry hacking needed):

**UPDATE: These steps are only applicable for AMD mainboard users, specifically the chipsets stated below that I have personally had success with. Your mileage may vary. USE AT OWN RISK. **

After some trial and error, I managed to switch my AMD 780G(Gigabyte) and 790GX(Biostar) SB7xx boards from using IDE to AHCI after having already installed WinXP.

Here's the trick - you need to boot up into XP with your system disk in IDE, but have the AHCI controller enabled in the BIOS so that XP can install the necessary AHCI drivers. To achieve this:

1. Connect your boot disk to the SATA_5(or SATA_4 on the Gigabyte MB) socket on your motherboard.
    2. Boot up and go into BIOS.
    3. In the relevant SATA config section, set SATA mode to AHCI and enable SATA IDE combined mode. For the Gigabyte BIOS, set SATA_4 and SATA_5 to IDE mode. Save and exit.
    4. Boot into XP. The AHCI controller hardware will be found and XP will prompt to install the necessary driver. Download and install the latest Catalyst raid driver.
    5. Shutdown computer and connect the boot disk back to the SATA_1 socket.
    6. Power on and go into BIOS. Disable SATA IDE combined mode if you don't need to run any disks on SATA_5 and SATA_6 in IDE mode.
    7. Restart and boot into XP. At this point, you would already be running your boot disk in AHCI mode.
    8. If you need to hot-plug any SATA disks other than your boot disk, goto device manager and disable write caching for the disks requiring hot-plug capability.
    9. You're done.
    this worked for me! Thanks alot!

Hi!

A really wonderful topic!

There's a thing I haven't understood in the guide:
    What is the right controller i must select to update drivers?

I give you a screenshot:

What is the right controller tu update?

Ide primary channel?
    Ide secondary channel?
    Or standard PCI IDE controller?

I have a notebook with nvidia nForce 730i Southbridge

if I'm not wrong it's the controller.

iTrack GPS Vehicle Tracking

GPS Tracking, GPS Vehicle Tracking, GPS Fleet Tracking, Singapore

ViewQwest Referral Name: PM me (S$25 Rebate off first month)

Quote Originally Posted by kohroyston View Post
    if I'm not wrong it's the controller.
    Thanks!

Anyway I've tried to follow instructions, but unsuccessfully.
    At the next reboot of windows in SATA(AHCI) mode i get a Blue screen of death .
    I needed to use the windows system recovery to login again in windows.

Maybe that I install the wrong .inf driver file?

I have installed This:

I found that driver on the Asus website, in the page of my notebook.
    I think it has a nForce 730i southbridge.

Thanks for the answers.
    With non-SATA drivers, my new notebook is VERY slow to wake up from hibernation (1'20''....)

Real World Overclocking! MacClipper's Avatar
    'He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose' - Jim Elliot

Click on the pic to download a free pdf sample of the bestselling book!
    Science the new God - till now, Science has not been able to determine precisely even the size of the universe.
    By what yardstick then does Science hope to use in measuring the Creator of the universe? Think again.

★ Asrock-Asus | FX-9590 | Corsair Vgn Pro | NiCu HK 3.0-GTX360 | Vapor-X 280X | Corsair RM1000 ★

My 24/7 Real World Overclocking! Blog

i googled wads the difference between compatibility mode and AHCI?

frankly speaking, after searching much.. there is no performance increase after switching to AHCI.
    My Gadgets:
    LG G3 D858 w/64gb MicroSD & PS3 Slim 160Gb Black

Desktop Rig:

Intel i5-2500K, ASRock H77M-ITX, Kingston 12GB DDR3 1333Mhz, Sapphire R9 280 3GB, Crucial M4 256GB SSD, 2TB WD Black, Swans D1010-IV, Fractal Design Node 304, Antec Earthwatts 550w 80PLUS Platinum, Microsoft Sidewinder X6, Dell 2209WA, MS Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit.

Buyers to take note: JL2009, OWENNG (waste time), Narneless (potential prank)

Update

Added MS KB922976 link/advice for Vista/W7 to 1st post, so very simple and straightforward nowadays. Just did it for my AMD 785 rig, really smooth sailing switch.

HTH.
    'He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose' - Jim Elliot

Science the new God - till now, Science has not been able to determine precisely even the size of the universe.
    By what yardstick then does Science hope to use in measuring the Creator of the universe? Think again.

★ Asrock-Asus | FX-9590 | Corsair Vgn Pro | NiCu HK 3.0-GTX360 | Vapor-X 280X | Corsair RM1000 ★

Quote Originally Posted by Mclairs View Post
    i googled wads the difference between compatibility mode and AHCI?

frankly speaking, after searching much.. there is no performance increase after switching to AHCI.
    Remember other perks like eSATA hotswap too.

http://mt-naka.com/hotswap/index_enu.htm

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234