ST31500341AS(1.5TB Seagate .11) unable to be detected by Motherboard(Abit KV8 Pro)

I have bought the hard disk about almost 1 week ago, only got around to installing it a few days ago. I've tried all means and ways, but it remains undetected by my bios and windows XP.

The motherboard I am using is Abit KV8 Pro, its for S754, which is a slightly old board(2004-2005 ish time). It doesn't support SATA2 so I have already set the jumper to limit it to 150mb/sec. However, it still remains undetected by my motherboard. I have also tried swapping cables, SATA ports, to no avail. It still remains undetected at a different port.

Need help trying to get it to run... Sigh. I hope its not a defected Hard Disk.

If you plug in just the SATA power cable to the drive, and boot the computer, do you feel the drive spinning?
    My Rig: E8400, EVGA 780i, EVGA GTX260 Core 216, 4GB Corsair Dominator 1066, 80GBx4 Raid 0, X-fi Fatal1ty Pro

LanPartyGuide.com

Yes it spins. But not detected.

My hunch tells me its the SATA speed limit needs to be set. Appearently it seems like this model no longer support jumper limiting the speed. If thats the case, how do I limit it? My motherboard's SATA controller is relatively old and I suppose it doesn't not support auto sata speed negotiation that is why it is not detected.

gadget-modder
    hmmm, get a PCI Sata2 card? cost abt $10-15..
    MSI Neo2-FR + C2D E7200 @ 3.2GHz
    2X2GB G.Skill Black PI PC 6400 CL4
    HIS HD4850 DDR3 + TT DuOrb
    WD Caviar Black 640GB (OS)
    Seagate 7200.11 500GB RAID 0
    Seagate 7200.10 250GB (torrent)
    CM RealPower 750W
    iCute Super18 w/ side-panel (powder-coated)

ignore list: kkpkkp, silentboiii, mafei, cycliz

Maybe can try it out on a more recent motherboard and confirm your suspicion? Else can try using a SATA-to-USB cable too.

Where can I get PCI-SATA2 card? Thinking of getting one but I tried searching SLS a few days ago, can't find.

jumper the drive to make it sata 1

I think it's not the issue of SATA speed limit but because some motherboard can't support harddisk of over 1TB. You could check if there is an updated bios from the official website or just get a PCI sata card.

According to Vr-zone Pricewatch
    Last edited by Shigure; Jan 5th, 09 at 03:03 PM.
    AMD Phenom 9850 Black Edition | MSI K9N2 SLI PLATINUM | 4x 1GB Kingston HYperx @ 1066mhz
    2x 320GB Seagate 7200.10(Raid 0), 1x 500GB, 1x 1TB Seagate 7200.11 | LG 20X DVD-RW SATA
    Gigabyte 3DAURORA 570S | Antec TruePower2.0 550W
    Mouse: Logitech MX1000 Laser, Keyboard: Logitech G15

Green Camp

http://axalife.com.sg/home/home.html

Quote Originally Posted by Shigure View Post
    I think it's not the issue of SATA speed limit but because some motherboard can't support harddisk of over 1TB. You could check if there is an updated bios from the official website or just get a PCI sata card.

According to Vr-zone Pricewatch
    KV8 pro isnt THAT old. -_-. Back at 2005, HDD size is no longer an issue so I don't think it has anything to do with HDD size.

Besides, I don't have A: drive to flash my firmware =X.

As for SATA controller... Any other shops that sells it? Best Price isn't exactly a shop I'd purchase anything from.

Maybe your Sata Controller may not be compatible with this drive....
    Are you able to test the drive on a USB enclosure to check if it is working?
    Also, there are also alot of problems with this drive on the SD16 firmware.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ratix0 View Post
    Besides, I don't have A: drive to flash my firmware =X.
    Try this.
    Intel Core i7 920 | Corsair TR3X6G1600C9 | Asus RIIE | OCZ Modstream Pro 700 | XFX 280GTX | Asus DRW-1814BLT | WD150HLFS | 2 x WD5000ABYS | Adeptec 5805 | Samsung 2493HM | Altec Lansing 621 | TRUE120-1366RT | CM HAF932

OK a final summary of my problem... I really don't know how to resolve this ****ed up. Anyone can help me pinpoint the problem?

My new HDD is ST31500341AS, the new 1.5TB HDD from Seagate, 7600.11, with the new working non freeze firmware.

I just called to Seagate. They insist that even though the product manual(At their website) says that using the jumpers to force SATA1(150mb/s) speed not supported for my HDD(ST31500341AS) and also on top of the HDD never print the label anymore, you still set the jumper and it'll force SATA1 speed. According to the tech support dude.

I am using Abit KV8 Pro, relatively old mobo, cannot handle SATA2 or SATA speed negotiation, so I have to manually force it to run at SATA1. However, I set the jumper liao still cannot detect.

The tech support people, as always trying to push the blame, kept insisting it is my motherboard thats the problem why it can't be detected. However this doesn't make much sense. They are claiming whatever 24 bit whatever limitation to 128GB for older models of motherboard, which I am aware of. However it doesn't seem to be of issue to be because if it is then my Seagate 320GB how come can work fine. My current other SATA HDD, Seagate 320GB, if im not wrong its 7600.10 generation. I set it to forced SATA speed and it works just fine. Doesn't make sense how my mobo cannot detect. I understand my mobo can't detect SATA2, so if I force to SATA1 then can le, by theory.

Also, I have brought the card down to Bell to test it. Works fine with an enclosure.

I'm not very convinced to get a PCI SATA Controller card because I don't know if it'll work.

Right now I only have 2 conclusion:
    1) Really is something wrong with my mobo, maybe a firmware flashing will solve it but I've never done it before, so I really have no clue how to go about doing it. On top of that, I have no floppy drives installed =\.
    2) Seagate Tech talk cock, the new models of .11 seagates cannot use jumper liao? As stated in their product site. If so how to force it to SATA1 speed?

Yeah =(. Or if anyone got a PCI SATA controller lying around to let me try will be best. Not ready to spend additional 40 bucks just to get a PCI SATA Controller which I don't even know whether will it resolve the problem or not.

Go challenger and buy the PCI -> Sata card (2 x SATA + 1 x IDE) for $20++ only.

I don't know if confirm can work or not? Does ti support auto speed nego? Because I am really suspecting that it can't be forced to SATA1 by normal means. If it can't then the SATA card also useless le.

Quote Originally Posted by Ratix0 View Post
    I don't know if confirm can work or not? Does ti support auto speed nego? Because I am really suspecting that it can't be forced to SATA1 by normal means. If it can't then the SATA card also useless le.
    Bro, maybe got to update the driver for your Mobo onboard Sata Controller.

I've got 2 of the same drive on my old and trusty MSI K8NGM2-FID running Raid 1 w/o problem. Initially, can't detect also. After update driver, can detect already and use Computer management to partition and format the drive.